Author Topic: Woj: C's deciding between Tatum/Jackson if they keep the pick  (Read 19638 times)

Re: Woj: C's deciding between Tatum/Jackson if they keep the pick
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2017, 01:55:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580
I would be happy with either. Tatum is a little bigger in terms of reach and wingspan and I think has the frame to add another 25 pounds and play small ball 4. Keep in mind he's actually a full year younger than Jackson. He's also a better fit in terms of giving us some scoring potential. All that said I wouldn't mind Jackson.

I just want to ask...

When we draft Michael Porter Jr, where does Jayson Tatum fit in our team?

IT-Jaylen-Tatum-Porter-Horford

That would be a crazy amount of size and athleticism 2-4. Shooting would obviously be iffy, but that's a group with pretty fun potential.

So, where's Gordon Hayward in this scenario?

Yep, Jaylen is a 2/3, Tatum and porter a 3/4. And with Jaylen improving as a shooter, that could be a very good scoring lineup. But there's no guarantee we take porter, maybe we go for one of the centers Bamba and Ayton to help with rim protection and rebounding. Your point on Heyward is a good one, if we target a wing this year how do we get playing time for all these wing players? Brown/Crowder/Heyward/Tatum seems a bit much. I'm all for wing depth but at some point guys who deserve playing time start getting squeezed out. 

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29

Celtics org has done a great job helping guys improve their shots. Only players they couldn't help were vets like Wallace, Zeller, Amir.

Marcus Smart says hello.

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2017, 02:02:48 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I would be happy with either. Tatum is a little bigger in terms of reach and wingspan and I think has the frame to add another 25 pounds and play small ball 4. Keep in mind he's actually a full year younger than Jackson. He's also a better fit in terms of giving us some scoring potential. All that said I wouldn't mind Jackson.

I just want to ask...
C

That would be a crazy amount of size and athleticism 2-4. Shooting would obviously be iffy, but that's a group with pretty fun potential.

Yep, Jaylen is a 2/3, Tatum and porter a 3/4. And with Jaylen improving as a shooter, that could be a very good scoring lineup. But there's no guarantee we take porter, maybe we go for one of the centers Bamba and Ayton to help with rim protection and rebounding. Your point on Heyward is a good one, if we target a wing this year how do we get playing time for all these wing players? Brown/Crowder/Heyward/Tatum seems a bit much. I'm all for wing depth but at some point guys who deserve playing time start getting squeezed out.

I would bet that Hayward is no longer in play for the C's.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:09:56 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
I still think we trade the pick, but I'm all for Tatum if we keep the pick. He looks like a combo of Jabari Parker/Carmelo Anthony to me. His shot looks smooth, too, so I'm betting he ends up a much better shooter from long distance than Jackson.

People forget just how good Jabari was this past year. He put up 20 points a game on 49% shooting and 37% three point shooting. And Tatum looks to have even more potential than Jabari.

Imagine Brown and Tatum on the wings in the future!

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I just want to ask...

Utah?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I just want to ask...

Utah?

Then we screwed this up big time.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I still think we trade the pick, but I'm all for Tatum if we keep the pick. He looks like a combo of Jabari Parker/Carmelo Anthony to me. His shot looks smooth, too, so I'm betting he ends up a much better shooter from long distance than Jackson.

People forget just how good Jabari was this past year. He put up 20 points a game on 49% shooting and 37% three point shooting. And Tatum looks to have even more potential than Jabari.

Imagine Brown and Tatum on the wings in the future!
And Tatum is a year younger than Jackson.

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I just will as shocked as not taking Fultz , if they pass on Tatum ......not because Im so high on him ........just because he always seemed to have Brad Stevens " type Big " written across his chest .
Jayson Tatum clocked in at 205 lbs last year. I think it's pretty safe to say he'll never really be a big except in some situational 2 minutes a night.

I dont understand the reasoning for this assumption.

Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis were twigs when they came in to the league.   Look at them a year or two later.

I can understand this argument in the case of Josh Jackson since he has a frail and narrow frame that doesn't seem like it could support much weight...but Tatum has  a solid frame and he is pretty lean. I could see him building it to 225 - 230 in a couple of years without tooc much trouble, and having a Jimmy Butler type physique.

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I just want to ask...
C

I would bet that Hayward is no longer in play for the C's.

I've seen several people say they now think Hayward is off the table, but I don't understand why. In doing this trade, we clear enough enough salary to sign Hayward/Griffin outright; just because we are likely drafting a swing doesn't mean we aren't going to use our max cap space (the last time we will have it for many years) to bring in an all-star. It doesn't make any sense.

« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I just will as shocked as not taking Fultz , if they pass on Tatum ......not because Im so high on him ........just because he always seemed to have Brad Stevens " type Big " written across his chest .
Jayson Tatum clocked in at 205 lbs last year. I think it's pretty safe to say he'll never really be a big except in some situational 2 minutes a night.

Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis were twigs when they came in to the league.   Look at them a year or two later.

I can understand this argument in the case of Josh Jackson since he has a frail and narrow frame that doesn't seem like it could support much weight...but Tatum has  a solid frame and he is pretty lean. I could see him building it to 225 - 230 in a couple of years without tooc much trouble, and having a Jimmy Butler type physique.
Dwight Howard was 240 lbs when he came out. Anthony Davis was 225 lbs. Less than their current listed weights but hardly twigs.

Even if Tatums goes up to 225 lbs, that's still SF size. It's 10 lbs less than Paul Pierce's playing weight.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
watching/revisiting full games of Jackson, Ball and Tatum currently.... all three are good looking prospects.  Not perfect, but they know how to play

Jackson and Ball do have more of the "exciting" factor

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:28:39 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2017, 06:27:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jackson motor on the defensive end is elite.  Even though he is on the slim side and needs to add weight,  he battles against bigger/stronger pfs and holds his ground.    Very good boxing out technique and will lean all of his weight on opponents , then explode up for rebounds

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Dwight Howard was 240 lbs when he came out. Anthony Davis was 225 lbs. Less than their current listed weights but hardly twigs.

Even if Tatums goes up to 225 lbs, that's still SF size. It's 10 lbs less than Paul Pierce's playing weight.
Tatum's 207 measurement is from more than a year ago. He had just turned 18 the previous month. He has a wide frame and should be able to add muscle.

AD's measurement was taken at 19 years of age. At 18 years of age I.e. The age of Tatums 207 measurement, AD was weighed at 214.

All courtesy of DX. He'd be a modern 4, but there's no reason to believe he doesn't have the strength length frame and size to be a long term PF. When he's not at the PF he'd be sliding to the 3 rather than the 5 like heavier longer bigs, but he could certainly be a PF for most of his minutes.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2017, 06:36:44 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Jackson motor on the defensive end is elite.  Even though he is on the slim side and needs to add weight,  he battles against bigger/stronger pfs and holds his ground.    Very good boxing out technique and will lean all of his weight on opponents , then explode up for rebounds
Jacksons weight is a little concerning for me. He's pretty thin and he's old for a freshman.

Although he is still just 20 and he plays stronger than his frame suggests.

Jackson really is a stud prospect with 1 gigantic red flag being the shooting. If he can pull his jumper together he could easily be the best prospect in this draft.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Jacksons weight is a little concerning for me. He's pretty thin and he's old for a freshman.

Although he is still just 20 and he plays stronger than his frame suggests.

Jackson really is a stud prospect with 1 gigantic red flag being the shooting. If he can pull his jumper together he could easily be the best prospect in this draft.

Here's what I don't understand...

We just drafted a Josh Jackson in Jaylen Brown. Isn't he practically the same guy?

Athletic wing? Yes
Can't shoot? Yes
Can defend? Yes

Why do we need Josh Jackson when we already have one?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace