Author Topic: Tjarks on Jaylen's present and future  (Read 4888 times)

Re: Tjarks on Jaylen's present and future
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think you guys are oversimplifying the article. From what i read, it really becomes more of "Can Jaylen make Lebron work harder than he usually does?"; as well as, "how much trade value does Jaylen have?"

I mean, if Jaylen can keep LBJ at an average or below average efficiency, that's impressive for a rook.

Andre Iguodala won a Finals MVP for doing that. It's not just impressive "for a rook."
I think realistically the best thing Jaylen can do is to LIMIT( he is still going to get easy buckets no matter what) the amount of super easy buckets James gets in the paint, James will still get 30+ ppg regardless of limiting easy buckets.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think you guys are oversimplifying the article. From what i read, it really becomes more of "Can Jaylen make Lebron work harder than he usually does?"; as well as, "how much trade value does Jaylen have?"

I mean, if Jaylen can keep LBJ at an average or below average efficiency, that's impressive for a rook.

Andre Iguodala won a Finals MVP for doing that. It's not just impressive "for a rook."
I think realistically the best thing Jaylen can do is to LIMIT( he is still going to get easy buckets no matter what) the amount of super easy buckets James gets in the paint, James will still get 30+ ppg regardless of limiting easy buckets.

That's probably a realistic best-case scenario. LeBron is far too good to be truly impacted by anyone short of Kawhi.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I thought the article was pretty good and is being taken out of context by some of you.  He talks about how well Jaylen has played and about his physical tools.  But he suggests that the Celtics could have established guys (hayward, Butler, and PG all play his position) available to them.  Then he says that if he has a good showing against Lebron he will take away the doubt and establish himself. 

He doesn't say that they should trade him if he doesn't do well, he says that if he does do well, they should not trade him. 

The power forward thing was saying that Jaylen playing well allowed Crowder to plat power Forward as Amir and Green are inconsistent at best.   

Personally I think the Celtics are a lot higher on Jaylen then people think.  It's why I am not as expectant of them to go after Hayward as everyone else on the planet is.  However, I can see the thinking of if they sign Hayward or get Butler or PG then you trade Jaylen for a big.  It makes sense.  I wouldn't do it and I don't think the Celtics would. 

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 12:11:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Quote from: tjarks
However, if he doesn’t play well over the next few weeks, he may not even be in their plans in a few years.

Yes, that's a stupid argument. Nothing in the next two weeks (other than a devastating injury) will affect Brown's future.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Quote from: tjarks
However, if he doesn’t play well over the next few weeks, he may not even be in their plans in a few years.

Yes, that's a stupid argument. Nothing in the next two weeks (other than a devastating injury) will affect Brown's future.

TP and True Dat.

Brown has a chance to shine in this series (because the Cs need size) but if he doesn't it has no bearing on his future.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 07:16:37 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
Brown was one of the few that actually played well last night. Crowder and Bradley wound up with 21 points apiece but that all came once the game was out of hand. Jaylen was getting to the rim, grabbed 9 rebounds (team high) in 20 minutes and played pretty good defense. He had 2 possessions I can remember where he really got into Lebron and made him miss. The rest of the time Lebron torched him but that's still 2 more quality possessions than anyone else on the team had against Lebron.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Brown was one of the few that actually played well last night. Crowder and Bradley wound up with 21 points apiece but that all came once the game was out of hand. Jaylen was getting to the rim, grabbed 9 rebounds (team high) in 20 minutes and played pretty good defense. He had 2 possessions I can remember where he really got into Lebron and made him miss. The rest of the time Lebron torched him but that's still 2 more quality possessions than anyone else on the team had against Lebron.
I agree I think Brown played well and deserves more time. But I thought Avery played pretty well. He had some back door cuts and was all over Kyrie(11pts). Sure he missed some wide open 3's but so did the whole team. I felt like everyone was trying to do too much and didn't have the energy ......idk how many wide open threes we missed in the first half BUT that is a huge difference maker. When we are off the Nets can easily beat us and probably would have last night. We can't out-talent or even match talent with the cavs, the only way we can even compete is to out hustle and thats why we need more Brown, Rozier, and heck I think Jerebko would help too

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 07:57:40 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
I agree I think Brown played well and deserves more time. But I thought Avery played pretty well. He had some back door cuts and was all over Kyrie(11pts). Sure he missed some wide open 3's but so did the whole team. I felt like everyone was trying to do too much and didn't have the energy ......idk how many wide open threes we missed in the first half BUT that is a huge difference maker. When we are off the Nets can easily beat us and probably would have last night. We can't out-talent or even match talent with the cavs, the only way we can even compete is to out hustle and thats why we need more Brown, Rozier, and heck I think Jerebko would help too
That's a good point about Bradley. Even though it felt like he was missing wide open 3's all over the place he was also making great cuts and had a ton of easy layups because of it. That's good basketball.

For most of the first half, the team wasn't playing badly at all. They were getting good shots and missing them and then not rebounding Cleveland's misses on the other end.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Tjarks has been one of the least impressive additions to The Ringer in my opinion.  And his voice annoys the heck out of me too.  This absurd article by him is par for the course on his quality.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 08:36:38 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Completely agree.  Jaylen was the only one who could match the speed and aggressiveness of the Cavs, and beat them to numerous loose balls. He had a knack for coming away with rebounds, strips, etc.  And was doing a great job finishing around the rim.

It's a shame that Kelly blatantly held his defender  back, otherwise we would have been treated to an amazing Jaylen dunk in the first half.

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Completely agree.  Jaylen was the only one who could match the speed and aggressiveness of the Cavs, and beat them to numerous loose balls. He had a knack for coming away with rebounds, strips, etc.  And was doing a great job finishing around the rim.

It's a shame that Kelly blatantly held his defender  back, otherwise we would have been treated to an amazing Jaylen dunk in the first half.

I didnt get why Olynyk had to do that. If his defender tried to defend Brown he would have had a wide open layup underneath.

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I didnt get why Olynyk had to do that. If his defender tried to defend Brown he would have had a wide open layup underneath.
In just 20 minutes Jaylen should have had:
14 points
9 rebounds
2 more assists

That happened twice to Jaylen Brown last night. Olynyk held a defender back when Jaylen had a wide open drive AND marcus (I think it was marcus) did the same exact thing on another completly open drive.

Jaylen also made a few good passes that guys missed layups like when Horford missed.

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 12:06:58 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

14 points
9 rebounds
2 more assists

That happened twice to Jaylen Brown last night. Olynyk held a defender back when Jaylen had a wide open drive AND marcus (I think it was marcus) did the same exact thing on another completly open drive.

Jaylen also made a few good passes that guys missed layups like when Horford missed.
*could have had. there is no garuntee Jaylen scores over Thompson at the rim.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

14 points
9 rebounds
2 more assists

He dunked both times the points were waved off because of the foul. 

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

14 points
9 rebounds
2 more assists

He dunked both times the points were waved off because of the foul.
yeah, but if Kelly and Marcus dont foul their men (both were pretty blatant) both guys would have challenged Jaylen at the rim making the finish much more difficult.