Author Topic: TNT Crew Want Butler To Boston...  (Read 9814 times)

Re: TNT Crew Want Butler To Boston...
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2017, 01:53:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1797
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
What is up with people offering up a BKN pick along with Bradley AND Crowder (and other picks/players)?? I want LB's convincing  thread back claiming the '17 pick alone was too much for Premium brand Ricky Davis (I don't have the Kraft/Kroger mac n cheese pics handy).

I would definitely take the guy, but want to whiff on Hayward (or Griffin) first. The price seems a bit steep, too (we have to at least keep Crowder). Just say no to a deadline deal!

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
At some point, the Celtics have to make a trade. If your core is IT4, Horford, and you want to win now, you have to trade the pick. Maybe its right before the draft, but you MUST trade the pick.

You cannot simultaneously continue to stock pile assets, draft 18 year olds, and compete for a Title. Either you trade the pick this summer, or next year you trade Horford or IT4 and go in wait for LeBron and the Warriors to get too old to compete.

The salaries that will be required when IT4, AB, and Smart come up for new contracts will not allow the C's to re-sign all those guys. Its also not fair to Horford and IT4 to continue surrounding them with rookies. They deserve to win.

So, either trade the pick or trade away your best players next year. The time is coming. The clock is running out on the current path for Ainge. At some point in the not so distant future he will have to decide.

TP.

My position exactly.

When they signed Horford, they admitted they were finished with the forever rebuild - much to the horror of this crowd.

So now, it's time to move some of these picks for immediate, significant help - or admit you made a mistake signing Horford and tank.

Bo, you seem to be very confused on things and think teams should either tank or contend for a title. So based on that illogical assumption there should be 28 teams tanking and only 2 playing to win. That's neither realistic or practical. The truth of the matter is that we aren't "rebuilding" (I think you need to look up that word since you often cite it incorrectly), but rather consistently improving towards title contention. Which is why our win percentage has steadily increased over the past 4 seasons:
13/14 .305
14/15 .488
15/16 .585
16/17 .649

You are correct.

Mediocrity doesn't amuse me. I do not have this bizarre fascination with the draft, and I don't find Ainge's draft record sufficient to have any faith whatsoever that he can do what few have been able to do - draft a champion.

And I'd point out this team has won NOTHING of note. Nothing. Incremental improvement means nothing when what should be the constant goal of this franchise - a title - is as far away as it ever was. This team lost last night, despite the short-sighted whining of fans about the last call, because of second-chance points and a terrible performance by the second unit.

This team isn't going to do squat in the playoffs for those reasons.

So I don't really care about all the alleged "assets." They aren't winning games now, and there is no guarantee whatsoever they will in the future. All the "Danny has set us up" nonsense is just that - he's set "us" up for fans to continue to overrate assets that have not advanced this franchise a whit, and is just kicking the mediocrity can down the road.

I will leave the unrequited love for the current purgatory we're in to fans of franchises who have no real expectation  of success. In the meantime, at bare minimum Ainge needs to add a rebounder at the deadline. Period. Failure to do so will reflect negatively on his competence.

And in the summer, continuing his equally bizarre fascination with tweeners with bad handles and a missing shot is completely unacceptable. It is time to move this franchise forward, and draft reaches aren't it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:05:17 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
At some point, the Celtics have to make a trade. If your core is IT4, Horford, and you want to win now, you have to trade the pick. Maybe its right before the draft, but you MUST trade the pick.

You cannot simultaneously continue to stock pile assets, draft 18 year olds, and compete for a Title. Either you trade the pick this summer, or next year you trade Horford or IT4 and go in wait for LeBron and the Warriors to get too old to compete.

The salaries that will be required when IT4, AB, and Smart come up for new contracts will not allow the C's to re-sign all those guys. Its also not fair to Horford and IT4 to continue surrounding them with rookies. They deserve to win.

So, either trade the pick or trade away your best players next year. The time is coming. The clock is running out on the current path for Ainge. At some point in the not so distant future he will have to decide.

TP.

My position exactly.

When they signed Horford, they admitted they were finished with the forever rebuild - much to the horror of this crowd.

So now, it's time to move some of these picks for immediate, significant help - or admit you made a mistake signing Horford and tank.

Bo, you seem to be very confused on things and think teams should either tank or contend for a title. So based on that illogical assumption there should be 28 teams tanking and only 2 playing to win. That's neither realistic or practical. The truth of the matter is that we aren't "rebuilding" (I think you need to look up that word since you often cite it incorrectly), but rather consistently improving towards title contention. Which is why our win percentage has steadily increased over the past 4 seasons:
13/14 .305
14/15 .488
15/16 .585
16/17 .649

You are correct.

Mediocrity doesn't amuse me. I do not have this bizarre fascination with the draft, and I don't find Ainge's draft record sufficient to have any faith whatsoever that he can do what few have been able to do - draft a champion.

And I'd point out this team has won NOTHING of note. Nothing. Incremental improvement means nothing when what should be the constant goal of this franchise - a title - is as far away as it ever was. This team lost last night, despite the short-sighted whining of fans about the last call, because of second-chance points and a terrible performance by the second unit.

This team isn't going to do squat in the playoffs for those reasons.

So I don't really care about all the alleged "assets." They aren't winning games now, and there is no guarantee whatsoever they will in the future. All the "Danny has set us up" nonsense is just that - he's set "us" up for fans to continue to overrate assets that have not advanced this franchise a whit, and is just kicking the mediocrity can down the road.

I will leave the unrequited love for the current purgatory we're in to fans of franchises who have no real expectation  of success. In the meantime, at bare minimum Ainge needs to add a rebounder at the deadline. Period. Failure to do so will reflect negatively on his competence.

And in the summer, continuing his equally bizarre fascination with tweeners with bad handles and a missing shot is completely unacceptable. It is time to move this franchise forward, and draft reaches aren't it.

So, you're only interested in Championships, but you also need Danny to make a short term move for a rebounder to get further in the playoffs in a year where we don't have a shot at winning the championship?

And you really want Danny to trade all of our assets for Butler, even though that would make us a better, but not Championship caliber, team while also taking away any avenues for improvement?

And I guess we're now back to saying Jaylen Brown was a bad pick.  Odd to hear from someone who
would have drafted Dunn, and unloaded Smart in a deal
when Dunn is looking like the biggest bust from this past draft
I'm bitter.

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Butler beat us last night.  It would be great to have both him and IT together.  I love this draft, though.  I watch a lot of College basketball and would hate to see us give up a pick in this draft.  There are as many as 15 guys I think could end up stars.

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like Drummond but he doesn't fit with Brad's system and he can't shoot FT's.

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
when Dunn is looking like the biggest bust from this past draft

That is the risk of the draft not everyone pans out.  It is not a sure thing.

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 04:48:46 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Butler and RLopez to Boston

Bradley, Crawford, Amir, Bk2018,other non Brklyn 1st rd pick  to Chicago

Think it is fair value, and we've shown we can play at high level w/o AB.  Butler takes Crawford place. Keeps our 2017 Brk pick.  Don't think people realize what Butler does for IT's game, and vice versa!  Can't double team them both!

Chicago adds two still young excellent players, swaps Amir for RoLo, and keeps DWade happy that his team isn't going completely in the tank!  Gives them probable 1-3 pick in 2018!

I don't think we have any Crawfords,...or?

I was just looking at that. I think it was supposed to be Crowder.

Mike
Sorry about that! Sometimes the finger don't type what the mind is thinking!

Anyway, about Al Horford.  Think DA did make a mistake signing him......unless he makes a BIG move or two NOW!  Drafting hopefully the #1 pick this year and also bringing in Zizic, Yabu, and probably Nader next year leaves you with half a team of vets trying to fight for a title, while the other half of the team is a bunch of extremely inexperienced kids not ready for that kind of thing! Again, Danny, PLEASE.....one way or the other.  Make up your mind and STICK TO IT!
I think you originally had a coach, in BS, that would do it either way, but is very restricted with the young kids, while being forced to try to win, more or less.  Think he would be much happier knowing a definite path to go on! 
Feel like Danny kind of felt trapped and the need to make some kind of splash when he couldn't sign Durant, and nobody would do his lopsided deals with him.  Al's a good player, but not the star you need to build a team around.  A guy who could put a really good team over the top, but not turn a good team into a great team!

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2017, 05:40:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There are as many as 15 guys I think could end up stars.
That's just a glass half full, purely optimistic, crazy best case scenario point of view. Its most likely just 3 or 4 of these players might become All-Stars 5 or more years down the road and even that might be optimistic.