Author Topic: You are Sacramento's GM, what is the best deal for Cousins?  (Read 9731 times)

Re: You are Sacramento's GM, what is the best deal for Cousins?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Really, though, can Sac get a deal for Rudy Gay?  If i were them, I'd try to bring back more by forcing Gay into the deal.

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 11:15:40 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
Really, though, can Sac get a deal for Rudy Gay?  If i were them, I'd try to bring back more by forcing Gay into the deal.

It would be hard to include him in a potential Cousins trade because that's $30m in combined salaries.  And I can't see Rudy Gay bringing back any value on his own, especially since he said he's opting out next year.

Oh they'll shop him, but get no offers, then buy him out once they trade away Cousins, and then he'll probably go sign with the Clippers for the minimum. 

Similar to the Joe Johnson situation last year.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 11:54:44 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
If I am the KingsI am thinking about calling LAC......

Could a Boogie and Rudy Gay for Jordan and Redick work? Obviously some picks would need to be thrown in, but this could work I think.

It all depends on what Sacramento wants to do with the rebuild. This trade opens up some cap space for them next year if they think they can pair someone with Jordan.

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562
If I am the KingsI am thinking about calling LAC......

Could a Boogie and Rudy Gay for Jordan and Redick work? Obviously some picks would need to be thrown in, but this could work I think.

It all depends on what Sacramento wants to do with the rebuild. This trade opens up some cap space for them next year if they think they can pair someone with Jordan.
The Clippers don't have a 1st rounder to trade until 2022.  They owe Toronto and Celtics their own 1st rounders (lottery protected through 2020).   We could easily beat any offer they would make. 

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
If I'm the Kings GM, I just want as many high value picks and players on rookie deals that I can get, so I can tank this season and next, and hopefully build a core up right.

I hear people talking about "the C's would need to include Crowder or Bradley" but if I'm the Kings GM I wouldn't want them.  If I trade Cousins, it's to start from the ground up, above average starters aren't going to help me tank.  Maybe I make the C's trade them to a 3rd team who sends me back a pick/young player, something like:

BOS trades: Brown, Rozier, Smart, Crowder, rights to Yabu and Zizic, 2017 Boston first, 2018 Brooklyn first, 2019 Clippers first, 2019 Memphis first, 2019 Boston first, 2021 Boston first
BOS receives: Cousins

NOP trades: Hield, salary filler (Jones or Stephenson)
NOP receives: Crowder

Sacramento trades: Cousins
Sacramento receives: Brown, Rozier, Smart, Hield, rights to Yabu and Zizic, 2017 Boston first, 2018 Brooklyn first, 2019 Clippers first, 2019 Memphis first, 2019 Boston first, 2021 Boston first

That's probably where I'd start if I were the Kings, fully expecting the C's to negotiate back and end up somewhere in the middle (like keeping Smart, at least one of Yabu/Zizic, and a few of their future picks).

I think NOP would be happy to be involved and provide some instant support to Anthony Davis.

This is pretty much spot on. Players on rookie deals who can shoot especially. A shooter always has a chance.

I agree bough that a
Player like AB is of little use to a rebuilding team.

Lucky for us, we have a whole JV team with some promise to fill out a deal. Plus picks, of course. The upshot is that we should be able to deal for a good player without giving up any key rotation players in the process. Who would want to rebuild that doesn't have enough pieces/prospects?  I mean other than BKN?  If there are not enough really good players on the market, then I guess the price goes up. And Horford's window will close quickly.

The only problem that arises above is that by trading both crowder (to NO) and brown, our ability to play anyone of competence at the 3 diminshes. Unless you plan on taking Tatum with the 2017 BRK pick.
#JKJB

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 12:35:50 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
If I'm the Kings GM, I just want as many high value picks and players on rookie deals that I can get, so I can tank this season and next, and hopefully build a core up right.

I hear people talking about "the C's would need to include Crowder or Bradley" but if I'm the Kings GM I wouldn't want them.  If I trade Cousins, it's to start from the ground up, above average starters aren't going to help me tank.  Maybe I make the C's trade them to a 3rd team who sends me back a pick/young player, something like:

BOS trades: Brown, Rozier, Smart, Crowder, rights to Yabu and Zizic, 2017 Boston first, 2018 Brooklyn first, 2019 Clippers first, 2019 Memphis first, 2019 Boston first, 2021 Boston first

Sacramento receives: Brown, Rozier, Smart, Hield, rights to Yabu and Zizic, 2017 Boston first, 2018 Brooklyn first, 2019 Clippers first, 2019 Memphis first, 2019 Boston first, 2021 Boston first

That's probably where I'd start if I were the Kings, fully expecting the C's to negotiate back and end up somewhere in the middle (like keeping Smart, at least one of Yabu/Zizic, and a few of their future picks).

I think NOP would be happy to be involved and provide some instant support to Anthony Davis.

Am I the only one who thinks that's an insane amount for one player?  Brown, Rozier or Smart, 2018 Nets pick, one other first.  I'd go that far.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983

Am I the only one who thinks that's an insane amount for one player?  Brown, Rozier or Smart, 2018 Nets pick, one other first.  I'd go that far.

That might work.....IF Cousins says he leaving....then they have to take the best deal.....if he behaves , then it will be dang near impossible to pry him loose.   Would take 2-3 times his actual value to tempt them.   I don't see Danny trading everything.

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

*click*

"Danny are you still there?"

*dial tone*

I know you said that's a start, but it's a non-starter because the offer is so incredibly overblown. You've basically asked for every current Celtics young asset for Cousins and every asset they'd have over the next 4-5 years. If Danny replied with "I'll give you a 2nd round pick for Cousins", it would be about as absurd as that asking price. Cousins isn't going to net TWELVE first round draft picks (that's what you just posted) and that's not how GMs negotiate. You make a realistic offer - something perhaps a little high - and then you work the details from there. You don't ask for twelve 1st round picks and think anyone is going to negotiate with you.

I'd be surprised if Cousins nets much more than Smart or Crowder + 2 Brooklyn picks. Go look at the trades for Shaq, Pau Gasol, Charles Barkley, 'Sheed and 'Melo + Billups. No one has commanded a price nearly as high as what you posted and Cousins won't bring that back either.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 12:48:36 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I ask Mitch Kupchak for Russell, Ingram, Zubac, and either Clarkson/Randle, and a future pick.

LA says no.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I ask Mitch Kupchak for Russell, Ingram, Zubac, and either Clarkson/Randle, and a future pick.

LA says no.
I don't know, I think they might say yes. They think very highly of themselves in FA and they do not like being out of the playoff picture. I could definitely see them negotiating along those lines, perhaps keeping Zubac in exchange for taking on a bad contract or Rudy Gay

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 01:08:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If I were the GM of the Kings, my goal would be to put together a likable, hard-working, well-coached team that has a good mix of vets and young guys.  A deep squad that can win around 45-50 games, be in the playoff mix, and maybe win a series occasionally, for an extended period of time.

Basically, I think if you're in that situation, with a franchise that has been terrible for a long while, in a small market, the #1 thing should be to try and create stability.  A consistent, enjoyable product that fans can count on year after year.

My model would be teams like the Jazz, Hawks, and Raptors.

In that spirit, I don't think my number one concern would be getting high draft picks.  I already have a pretty good coach.  Now I need players who can help extend that coach's influence on the floor and carry out his vision.  Now, the Kings have had plenty of high draft picks.  Cousins was one of them.  They haven't been able to develop those guys very well.

What I would want is a handful of young but somewhat experienced players with some established skills and some remaining potential.

First, though, I'd have to ask myself, what do I have already?

Guards:

The Kings are barren here.  Neither Collison nor Lawson are long term answers.  Both have major off-court issues.  Garrett Temple is a solid end of bench veteran.  Richardson is a question mark; not really a team-first game.

Wings / Swings:

Gay is a veteran scorer who would certainly be happier on another team.  Afflalo is in that vein as well.  McLemore is a troubled guy who seems that he could still find his place in the league as a spot-up shooter who can make athletic plays in transition.  Matt Barnes is a solid vet, though he may or may not be the sort of personality you want to set the tone for the team.  Omri Casspi is a quality role player who has reached veteran status.  He's a guy I'd want to keep around, if I can help it.

Bigs:

Cousins is the star, but I'm looking to trade him in this scenario.  Koufos is a decent, quiet veteran who is probably superfluous on this roster.  Willey Cauley-Stein is a nice rim runner with defensive potential.  Papa G is a question mark.  Skal is a question mark.  Tolliver is a high character spot-up shooter.

So, my priorities would be, in order:

- Re-stock the cupboard at guard.  Need somebody who appears to have the potential to be a primary ballhandler some day, if not right away.

- Get rid of my surplus of veteran bigs and scoring wings.

- Add more veteran glue guys with a reputation for leadership, passing, and defensive hustle.

In a trade package, therefore, I would want:

(a) A young guard with playmaking potential (not purely a scoring prospect).  Possibly also an older guard who can already run an offense.

(b) No centers.  I have enough centers.

(c) The opportunity to dump veteran salary (e.g. Gay, Afflalo, Koufos).

If I've got Boston on the phone, this is what I ask for:

- Avery Bradley
- Marcus Smart
- Jaylen Brown

Exchange of filler: Collison, Gay, and Casspi for Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko

I'd then cut Ty Lawson to get the roster down to 15 players.

Would I expect Boston to do that?  Probably not.  That's a big chunk of the heart of the Celtics roster, including its best prospect.

That's the kind of reload I'd want as the Kings GM, though.  Not a "reset button" kind of trade where I get a bunch of picks and then I go into tank mode and give lots of unproven young players all kinds of playing time.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 01:23:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
Dark Horses?

Indiana can offer Turner, Teague, Joe Young, and Glen Robinson plus future picks. That's a nice haul for Cousins. Indiana would make noise with Cousins-Young-George-Ellis-Miles in my opinion, if they gel.

Raptors can offer Valancunas, Ross, Caboclo, Noguira, Poetl, and future picks. Again, that is a nice haul. The Raptors with Cousins-Carroll-Derozan-Lowry-Joseph would be contenders.

OKC could offer Kanter, Abrines, Sabonis, and Payne. Again, that is a nice offer. OKC with Cousin-Adams-Westbrook-Oladipo-Roberson would make noise.

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Dark Horses?

Indiana can offer Turner, Teague, Joe Young, and Glen Robinson plus future picks. That's a nice haul for Cousins. Indiana would make noise with Cousins-Young-George-Ellis-Miles in my opinion, if they gel.

Raptors can offer Valancunas, Ross, Caboclo, Noguira, Poetl, and future picks. Again, that is a nice haul. The Raptors with Cousins-Carroll-Derozan-Lowry-Joseph would be contenders.

OKC could offer Kanter, Abrines, Sabonis, and Payne. Again, that is a nice offer. OKC with Cousin-Adams-Westbrook-Oladipo-Roberson would make noise.

I don't think the Indiana offer would be enough for me, if I'm the Kings' GM.  Teague is a free agent after this year, right?

The OKC offer is kind of interesting, though it doesn't help with the proliferation of centers.  Same problem with the Raptors offer.  I'm going nowhere with Ty Lawson and Darren Collison manning the point guard spot.

There is really a problem league wide in the trade market with so many of these middling teams that would like to make a trade having too many centers.  It's kind of odd, considering how stacked the point guard position seemed to be not that long ago.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

LA says no.
I don't know, I think they might say yes. They think very highly of themselves in FA and they do not like being out of the playoff picture. I could definitely see them negotiating along those lines, perhaps keeping Zubac in exchange for taking on a bad contract or Rudy Gay

the hype all around LA and the team media and coaching staff and all that is "the youth movement" and "the young core". they're very proud of it. I think they're trying to recreate a modern version of the ShowTime Lakers with their new showy young players, who've all grown up in today's pop culture world, and as one article i read the other day said, are "Drake-culture" youngsters.

That's the entire theme of their rebuild. i dont think they are gonna stray away from that.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 01:42:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
With how disfunctiontal the Kings front office is who knows.

I'm betting they hold out for the new CBA as it supposedly will contain more attractive extension options for teams trying to retain their best player. So I expect them to dawdle and not move Cousins this season.

Trading him now is probably the best move assuming they cannot find a path forward with him, so of course they'll screw that up and continue to be a terrible team with him.