Author Topic: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon  (Read 111794 times)

Re: Sporting News: C's targeting Griffin, will make major deal soon
« Reply #330 on: July 14, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
This is actually kind of irritating to watch spread live.

Idiot on RealGm makes up a rumor... some twitter trolls pile on pretending to have similar information... some obscure blog runs with it... a slightly bigger blog runs with that... some garbage media types who don't vet their sources run with it... other media types quote the garbage media types... suddenly it's appearing on CelticsBlog, Yahoo, Sporting News, etc.   Meanwhile, the idiot who made up the rumor is cackling his head off.   Trust me, I get it... I once made up something that ended up on Good Morning America.  But when you're not in on the joke, it's annoying to watch in real-time.

ANyways, a trade for Blake makes some sense.  Bill Simmons has been calling this the wildcard trade for months.  I'm not surprised this is the fake rumor people are running with.   I wouldn't be entirely shocked if something actually happened.

Just curious. What did you make up that ended up on Good Morning America?

« Reply #331 on: July 14, 2016, 07:04:26 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Idiot on RealGm makes up a rumor... some twitter trolls pile on pretending to have similar information... some obscure blog runs with it... a slightly bigger blog runs with that... some garbage media types who don't vet their sources run with it... other media types quote the garbage media types... suddenly it's appearing on CelticsBlog, Yahoo, Sporting News, etc.   Meanwhile, the idiot who made up the rumor is cackling his head off.   Trust me, I get it... I once made up something that ended up on Good Morning America.  But when you're not in on the joke, it's annoying to watch in real-time.

ANyways, a trade for Blake makes some sense.  Bill Simmons has been calling this the wildcard trade for months.  I'm not surprised this is the fake rumor people are running with.   I wouldn't be entirely shocked if something actually happened.

I wonder how much your thoughts would change if this were the Sixers.  You would go on and on about how Hinkie's plan of tanking/accumulating picks was ingenious.

BTW...Mannix just chimed in so...yeah
and said what?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #332 on: July 14, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
‏@DanLifshatz   
Chris Mannix on CSNNE just said Celtics could make massive deal over weekend
greece666 on the Forums just said Celtics might make a big move in the next few days.

Mannix and Greece666 have the same credentials?

« Reply #333 on: July 14, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I wonder how much your thoughts would change if this were the Sixers.  You would go on and on about how Hinkie's plan of tanking/accumulating picks was ingenious.

There's a difference between Steve Bulpett saying, "According to my sources, the player Danny Ainge was trying to acquire at the deadline was Jahlil Okafor"...

And... "I hear we are going to make a big move... i read it on a website that got it from a blog that got it from a smaller blog that got it from a twitter account that got it from some troll on a realGM forum who made it up as a joke"

« Reply #334 on: July 14, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Watching CSN right now.  I think the C's are definately in talks.  Saying the clippers have stated in the past they aren't willing to trade Griffin but there is a feeling that they are willing to budge on that. 

Question to me is, is this true or are teams just posturing right now where something could more happen at the deadline or next season..

Pros of waiting

We'll have our choice between more players. 
Jaylen will have a year under his belt
We will be signing whoever to a longer deal at that time

Pros to now

The asking price might be good
We are guaranteed to get someone for at least a year and have rights to pay that player more
The clippers are guaranteed to get something in return

I think it's in both teams favor to happen now.

« Reply #335 on: July 14, 2016, 07:08:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

There's a difference between Steve Bulpett saying, "According to my sources, the player Danny Ainge was trying to acquire at the deadline was Jahlil Okafor"...

And... "I hear we are going to make a big move... i read it on a website that got it from a blog that got it from a smaller blog that got it from a twitter account that got it from some troll on a realGM forum who made it up as a joke"

No, the difference is that you're overly optimistic on anything Sixers related, even citing Sixers blogs as souces, yet are pessimistic on everything involving the Celtics. Everyone sees it, man. You're a hypocrite in what you choose to believe.

« Reply #336 on: July 14, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wake up people. Find a legit source before getting excited.

What else are we going to do at this time of year?  Get excited about the MLB All Star break?

I can't get excited about Summer League, that's for sure.

You don't like watching Brown be a useless washout bust one night and a future All-NBA stud the next?  Heck, sometimes he switches from minute to minute.

« Reply #337 on: July 14, 2016, 07:10:27 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
‏@DanLifshatz   
greece666 on the Forums just said Celtics might make a big move in the next few days.

:'( :'( :'(

« Reply #338 on: July 14, 2016, 07:15:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398

is the story that you made up a story that you made up a story that ended up on Good Morning America? Now that would be comedy!

« Reply #339 on: July 14, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

For a couple reasons, I'm not going to detail it out.  I'll just say this.  It was an interesting lesson.

I made up something as a joke (unrelated to basketball) that was semi-plausible... it subsequently got shared by a bunch of people on forum comment threads and comments on articles related to the main topic... eventually, a couple blogs ran with it... then a couple online publications ran with it... culminating in them running a piece on it on Good Morning America... and at no point did anyone actually try to reach out to verify if it was true.  Had they followed the breadcrumbs back to the source, they could have easily come to the conclusion it was made up - but they ran with it anyways.   It was hilarious and surreal to watch in real-time.

I'm not saying that's happening here.  I'm just saying that I saw the RealGM thread when this "Blake Griffin/DeMarcus Cousins" rumor started.  I saw the unverified twitter accounts pile on the idea and pretend their sources were saying the same thing.   So I'm not really putting much weight into this rumor at all. 

Though, I think a lot of it comes down to whether or not you think Smitty on RealGM is full of crap... and whether or not Dan Lifshatz actually has sources.

Maybe it happens.  I'd just suggest not getting your hopes up on this one.

« Reply #340 on: July 14, 2016, 07:19:34 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

Look on the bright side: At least it's just an "idiot on Realgm" making up a (possibly) fake rumor about real life...not Chaz Buick making up fake rumors about a fantasy league.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #341 on: July 14, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Look on the bright side: At least it's just an "idiot on Realgm" making up a (possibly) fake rumor about real life...not Chaz Buick making up fake rumors about a fantasy league.
Pip, it's funny you still don't understand what happened there.

« Reply #342 on: July 14, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
‏@DanLifshatz   

I didn't realize Greece666 is substantiating this rumor.  N/m.   I went from thinking this was 30% likely to 80% likely.   Pre-ordering my Blake Griffin Celtic jersey.

« Reply #343 on: July 14, 2016, 07:34:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
‏@DanLifshatz   

I didn't realize Greece666 is substantiating this rumor.  N/m.   I went from thinking this was 30% likely to 80% likely.   Pre-ordering my Blake Griffin Celtic jersey.

they are not available yet...

« Reply #344 on: July 14, 2016, 07:35:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

No, the difference is that you're overly optimistic on anything Sixers related, even citing Sixers blogs as souces, yet are pessimistic on everything involving the Celtics. Everyone sees it, man. You're a hypocrite in what you choose to believe.
Yeah ok.  If you say so, Ed.

I just tend to give more credit to someone like Steve Bulpett when he claims he has a direct source that tells him something... over some 16 year old fanboy high schooler from Rhode Island who tweets that his "sources" tell him the Celtics are about to sign Durant. 

Some of us have talked about this before.   What makes a "rumor" a "real rumor" verses a "fake rumor".  I guess it's a fine line.  The Steve Bulpett's, Marc Stein and Woj's of the world might be making stuff up entirely.  A lot of the info is fed from other orgs.  Maybe some of it is completely fabricated.   Maybe they are no different than the 16 year old Celtic fanboy sitting on his parent's couch making up stuff on RealGm.   Maybe both rumors deserve the same amount of respect.  Maybe both rumors deserve no respect.   It's been debated before.  I guess it will be debated again. 

Fwiw, Bulpett says:  "Sources indicate the Celtics are very much open to major moves, but while situations certainly remain fluid and they have expressed interest in Blake Griffin and Russell Westbrook in the past, there have been no discussions regarding those players in quite some time."

That's not to say those trades will not still happen.  That's the thing about this league... we can all make educated guesses about which stars might be available.  It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to look at the Bucks roster, see they have multiple SF's and determine they might be open to moving one of Giannis, Parker or Middleton.   Blake's problems have been well documented.  Same with Cousins.  It isn't a massive stretch to imagine one of them being moved.   Everyone knows Philly at some point will move one of those bigs... so I'm sure we'll continue to see rumors about it.  Just like everyone knows Boston is overloaded with redundant players and doesn't have enough roster spots to fit all of them.   You watch Rozier playing well in Summer league and it's not a leap to imagine them moving Marcus Smart for help at a weaker position.   

So I guess you just have to ask what is a rumor.  If you think every rumor regardless of who makes it up deserves the same amount of attention, I don't blame anyone for getting very excited about this weekend.  Personally, I expected nothing to happen until greece666 backed up this rumor.  Now I'm on board.