Author Topic: Waive Young  (Read 22236 times)

Re: Waive Young
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2016, 05:02:37 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 614
Is he the worst player on an acual NBA roster right now?

I mean I know it sounds dramatic, but off the top of my head I don't think I can truthfully think of a player who is on an NBA roster, who is worse then Young.

Sixers and Net's second unit

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2016, 05:37:20 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
It seems like most fans like to just bash certain guys to me.  i like the way ainge drafts.  There are players in the league that put up numbers  but are pretty limited players.  I actually enjoy watching some of these guys develop, I turn on talk radio and the focus is on something totally else.  It's a stars league but the Durant, Durant, Durant stuff won't stop.

Philly was trying to unload a guy like Covington on us who is not a guy who would help us.

Young's talent I can see it. Whether he will ever grow into that who knows.  I'd rather root for him to do that though because it's good for us.  He has the ability to be a better player.

Ainge does some pretty deep scouting.

He does have the ability to be a better player. But unfortunatly he's lost on defense and can't even revover due to his lateral quickness.
Yabusele get lost on defense many times, but he always managed to recover.
In Boston, we prioritize defense first for any rookie who wants to play. We can agree or not to that (that's another debat) but that's how it is right now.
This is not the problem. He has excellent athleticism but unlike many of our favorite shooting guards that needed 4 years of college and 3-4 years in the NBA just to show up on anybodys radar....Young has the stroke and ability to hit 42-45% from NBA 3 point range. He shot almost 45% from NBA range and hit almost 4 3's a game during his first season in the D-league

I believe Young has way too much potential as a shooting guard and it would be unbelievably stupid to waive him. Especially if we end up doing a trade for AB, Young can step in as a backup and begin learning from 20mpg.

The kid can shoot, but he misses wide open 3pt shots when playing in the NBA.....he needs either 20mpg or more time to develop. Ask DA why he would rather have USURPER'S like ET and BB than develop potential STAR players and get the right draft pick.

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2016, 05:38:44 AM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan

Lma0, TP ;D. Where did you find this gem?

Was watching a YouTube stream ^^ was so funny Coz even the commentator mentioned that he was 30 lol....
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2016, 05:41:19 AM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
It seems like most fans like to just bash certain guys to me.  i like the way ainge drafts.  There are players in the league that put up numbers  but are pretty limited players.  I actually enjoy watching some of these guys develop, I turn on talk radio and the focus is on something totally else.  It's a stars league but the Durant, Durant, Durant stuff won't stop.

Philly was trying to unload a guy like Covington on us who is not a guy who would help us.

Young's talent I can see it. Whether he will ever grow into that who knows.  I'd rather root for him to do that though because it's good for us.  He has the ability to be a better player.

He does have the ability to be a better player. But unfortunatly he's lost on defense and can't even revover due to his lateral quickness.
In Boston, we prioritize defense first for any rookie who wants to play. We can agree or not to that (that's another debat) but that's how it is right now.
This is not the problem. He has excellent athleticism but unlike many of our favorite shooting guards that needed 4 years of college and 3-4 years in the NBA just to show up on anybodys radar....Young has the stroke and ability to hit 42-45% from NBA 3 point range. He shot almost 45% from NBA range and hit almost 4 3's a game during his first season in the D-league

I believe Young has way too much potential as a shooting guard and it would be unbelievably stupid to waive him. Especially if we end up doing a trade for AB, Young can step in as a backup and begin learning from 20mpg.

The kid can shoot, but he misses wide open 3pt shots when playing in the NBA.....he needs either 20mpg or more time to develop. Ask DA why he would rather have USURPER'S like ET and BB than develop potential STAR players and get the right draft pick.

I'm with him! This kid no doubt has one of the most beautiful strokes in the game and it looks effortless. I think when he reaches 22, he will be a hell lot better
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2016, 09:50:30 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

I'm with him! This kid no doubt has one of the most beautiful strokes in the game and it looks effortless. I think when he reaches 22, he will be a hell lot better

Let's hope....

TP for optimism

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2016, 09:59:49 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCU3TcBHZc0

James Young, get it together bro. You have such potential. We have to remember this kid would be a senior in college right now had he not entered the draft early.

It's such a tough spot for the Cs. In his final year of his contract he will be a cap hit of nearly $4m. In the rising cap era, this isn't a big deal but this year is critical to whether or not we gamble on him for the following 2 years.

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hold your horses

His shots have been falling. He is not trying to do too much.  His defense is good.  Likely he won't be a great defender but in terms of able to stick with his man, i think he will be fine

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2016, 12:55:57 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
With the new salary cap you have to be stupid to waive a rookie contract unless they violated some sort of rules ...

While I dont think Young will crack any lineups anytime soon hes still only 20 years old.. Best move is continue to grrom him ... The Celtics gain NOTHING by cutting him...

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
With the new salary cap you have to be stupid to waive a rookie contract unless they violated some sort of rules ...

While I dont think Young will crack any lineups anytime soon hes still only 20 years old.. Best move is continue to grrom him ... The Celtics gain NOTHING by cutting him...

They gain a roster spot.  Just because you can afford to pay 50 James Young's, you still can't keep 50 on the team.

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
why so salty?  Young doesn't take up a roster spot if he's playing in summer league.  and if he's taking up a roster spot on the big team, it would be because Brad Stevens deemed him ready to contribute or take the next step at the nba level.  you don't think you're smarter than brad stevens, do you?

They gain a roster spot.  Just because you can afford to pay 50 James Young's, you still can't keep 50 on the team.

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2016, 01:04:11 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 196
James Young will make $1.8m this year. Next year we have a team option for $2.8m next year.

Matthew Dellavadova signed with the Bucks for nearly $10m per year.

At the very worst, he's a super cheap guy at the end of the bench that you bring in once in a blue moon for a change of pace.

Then again, you can also realize the dude is 20 and that practically no one is a finished product at that age.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Whats with the hate? lol

He nailed 4-5 3's yesterday and also shot a few nice ones in the 1st game

don't expect him to go off for 30.  He might really get waived then , bc he is hot dogging

instead he has been a good team player so far and capitalising on his opportunities (3s)

Young won't ever be a great ball handler (can't dribble with his right) nor crazy dunks or anything (maybe once in a while).   He just has to make sure his open shots are automatic , and if guarded too tightly be able to get by and make the mid range.    On the defensive end just play his best 1 on 1 D and also is a good rebounder for a sf

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

The Celtics gain a roster spot.  If the Celtics have Horford, Johnson, Olynyk, Jerebko, Crowder, Brown, Bradley, Smart, Thomas. Rozier, Mickey, and Hunter, that is twelve players.  Pencil in Young, Jackson, and Bentil for the last three roster spots.  If the Celtics sign a free agent, whether Sullinger or someone from another team, or if they bring in Zizic now, they have to open up a roster spot.  Trying to trade Young, but waiving him if necessary, seems better than giving up on one of the second rounders, but you don't have to do that until the end of preseason.

Bringing in a solid post defender who can be the 4th or 5th big would probably be a better use of that roster spot than Young.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Sell now!  He just made a few threes!  :)

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 445
Sell now!  He just made a few threes!  :)

No kidding!! He hits a few 3's in a summer league game and all of a sudden people want him to stay and say he has a sweet stroke. Barf. He is awful. Into his 3rd season and he hit a few 3's in a summer league game. Wow!