Author Topic: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!  (Read 81938 times)

Re: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2016, 08:43:58 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Woj was wrong on this tonight. Nobody is really talking about that

Once the dust settles I'm sure people will. Everyone is to dang excited!

« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2016, 08:44:19 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2743

Yes, the infallible Woj dropped a few duds tonight.

« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Eh, he said the Celtics and Wizards were giving up hope.  That's probably a fair characterization since the Hawks controlled their own destiny once Horford gave them the last shot.  It was out of our hands at that point, but Horford passed on the extra $ when they didn't meet his figure.

« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2016, 08:46:04 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Adam Himmelsbach ‏@AdamHimmelsbach 1m1 minute ago

Al Horford did meet his wife (former Miss Universe) at the Latin Pride Awards in Boston almost 10 years ago.

« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2016, 08:47:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Yes, the infallible Woj dropped a few duds tonight.

Its all part of the misdirection play. I bet Danny had these deals all sealed up before the draft. That is why he did not panic and the draft, and drafted accordingly.

« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2016, 08:47:06 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I am still not sure whether I even want Horford on that contract. At least he will improve the team considerably in the short term. I worry about the back end of that contract though. I do not think Horford will age well. As his athleticism continues to decline, I think his lack of size as a center will become tougher and tougher for him to overcome.

Horford's game isn't based on athleticism. He's more of a fundamentals player. He should age relatively well.

« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2016, 08:47:18 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Horford tweeted 18 shamrocks. Gives me the chills

one more time.

« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2016, 08:47:52 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/7/2/12088912/al-horford-and-the-atlanta-hawks-divorce-and-its-the-kids-fans-that?utm_campaign=jasonwalkersbn&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

The Hawks put a price on Al Horford's tenure in Atlanta. Six million dollars.

Six stupid million dollars stood between a continuation of what's been built here under Danny Ferry/Wes Wilcox/Mike Budenholzer and who knows what.

SIx million dollars in a cap world where Kent Bazemore just cashed in for 4 years and 70 million dollars. No offense, Baze.

It's seems like a piddling thing to let the Boston (freaking) Celtics walk off with your All-Star Center for nothing in return but a series of tweets from The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski that ended up being wrong. That's right. Mr. Always on the money missed one and, of course, it involves the Hawks, losing Al Horford and losing him to the Boston Celtics.

I don't know what the franchise was thinking here. I don't know if they weighed what this means to their fan base, to their core of players, to what they are trying to do as a franchise. It reminds me of when the Mavericks got technical and let Steve Nash walk away to win MVPs in Phoenix based on god-knows-what that told them they shouldn't.

Al Horford clearly wanted every last dollar out of Atlanta, not wanting to take another discount to stay, but that's his prerogative. He doesn't owe the Hawks a discount, especially in an economic environment where it didn't really hinder the Hawks to go full max.

I really believed that, in the end, both sides would make it work. But now seeing Horford tweet Celtics Pride makes my stomach turn in a way I haven't felt since this franchise traded Dominique.

In that moment, there was a darkness over the franchise that last, for me, quite a long time into the late 90s, before I finally warmed up again. I could definitely see that happening again for me, and others like me. Sure they still have Paul Millsap and Dwight Howard, but this is different. Al Horford was different.

Al Horford was a steal of a pick at number three overall in the 2007 draft. He patiently waited while Mike Woodson, Joe Johnson and company ignored him offensively. But he ran the floor, made himself relevant with his athleticism and hard work, eventually mastered the mid-range jumpshot and efficient passing  and turned it into multiple all-star performances as the Hawks rose up, eventually to 50 wins and the Conference Finals.

He was the Atlanta's Tim Duncan, the mild mannered big man with fundamental skills and the type of personality the team was building around. As Ferry, Wilcox and Budenholzer framed and built the team, it was Horford in the middle of it all, the rock, the foundation. Success has never seen the Atlanta Hawks the way it had with Al Horford as its basketball barometer.

Now the Hawks let six million dollars, money that will long be spent and forgotten over the course of five years, allow that guy to wear Celtics colors and help them take a large step up in the conference while the Hawks lose a rudder and scramble to redefine things.

That's not something that's happened to the Spurs over the course of their dominance of the NBA, the franchise allegedly the Hawks were patterning themselves after. Sadly, copies are never as crisp as the original.

Clearly, they didn't feel the same way about Horford as I did, and other fans did, or this wouldn't have happened. To put that kind of limit on Horford meant they weren't fully sold on him being that guy, that something was missing that prevented them fully going all-out to make sure he didn't go to such a bitter rival. There are others who subscribe to this, that Al simply isn't the guy to get the Hawks to the promised land.

But for me, it's a heartbreak, and one I'm not sure I can recover from soon, as I said. They got nothing for Horford other than the relief of not having to scramble to make a deal. And Paul Millsap is going to demand so much more after this next season, and Dennis Schröder is coming soon, so this is not a conversation that's going away.

The franchise took a major, major step backwards today. I feel it in my stomach-punched soul, and it hurts. Real Bad.

The entitled Boston Celtics get an amazing player, no matter what Tommy Heinsohn said about him in the playoffs (that tune will change very quickly), to go with a terrific young coach and a solid core of athletic players. The Hawks get nothing, and that pretty much defines history of the two franchises, both present and future.

Great article. It's pretty clear that the Hawks didn't really want to sign Horford, they just wanted their fans to think they tried. Signing Howard and Bazemore and then trading Milsap to keep Horford made no sense.

To be fair to the Hawks, a front-court of Millsap and Horford probably makes a lot more sense then Millsap + Horford.

The Hawks have been stuck in no man's land for a LONG time, always being that 'good but not great' team who did as well as they could without a superstar, but never got far enough. 

Re-signing Horford would have left them with the same team moving forward, and would have all but guaranteed that they would have move forward with more of the same, with greatness continuing to fall from their grasp.

By adding Howard the Hawks have added a legit superstar for the first time since Dominique, and with the way Howard was misused in Houston, the Hawks can at least HOPE that he flourishes under their system with the extra touches, and starts to look like the Dwight of old - something I think is reasonably likely to occur.

For Boston I still would have preferred Dwight, but I'm happy to accept Horford as a consolation prize.  Our frontcourt scenario was a major cause for concern this year, and Horford helps immensely.  For all his limitations (and he has his share of them) Horford is still, by far, the best big man to wear Celtics green since the departure of Kevin Garnett.

More importantly he's a guy who isn't obsessed with being your #1 guy or having all the spotlight on him - he seems the type who is quite happy to step back into the shadows and take whatever role he's given.  That's going to be very important for us moving forward, because as long as Thomas is here Horford will be a #2 at best, and if we do get Durant that could push him back to a #3 option.  In that role he might prove a wiser piece then Dwight.  I think Dwight would be fine playing #2 to Durant, but I'm not sure he'd be happy to play #3 behind both Durant AND Thomas. In the long term that may have caused problems.

Four months ago, I was strongly against signing Al Horford to a max deal.  One Month ago, I was still very uncomfortable with that idea.  After seeing Mike Conley sign for < $30m, Chandler Parsons sign for ~$23m, and seeing Mahinmi/Mozgov/Turner all sign for $17m-$18m...I must admit that the idea of giving close to $30M for Horford no longer sounds nearly as terrible.  I'm not going to say it's a bargain, but under these circumstances it's certainly justifiable.

Boston now has:

1) Al Horford under contract for ~$27m

2) Thomas, Bradley and Crowder all around 25 years of age, and all under contract for ~22m combined

3) A ton of young prospects with potential (Brown, Jackson, Rozier, Smart, Mickey, Bentil, Yabusele, Antic)

4) A crap-ton of cap space

5) Jaylen Brown

6) Two future Nets picks with top 5 potential

Is there any team in the NBA who is in a better position then us moving forward, honestly???

« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2016, 08:48:51 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
people think the wiz are more talented but it takes more than that, PP said only months ago that they weren't ready to win, can't remember the exact quote but it was about Wall and Beal iirc.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2016, 08:49:20 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Hell YESSSS!!!!

« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2016, 08:50:20 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/7/2/12088912/al-horford-and-the-atlanta-hawks-divorce-and-its-the-kids-fans-that?utm_campaign=jasonwalkersbn&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Six stupid million dollars stood between a continuation of what's been built here under Danny Ferry/Wes Wilcox/Mike Budenholzer and who knows what.

SIx million dollars in a cap world where Kent Bazemore just cashed in for 4 years and 70 million dollars. No offense, Baze.

It's seems like a piddling thing to let the Boston (freaking) Celtics walk off with your All-Star Center for nothing in return but a series of tweets from The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski that ended up being wrong. That's right. Mr. Always on the money missed one and, of course, it involves the Hawks, losing Al Horford and losing him to the Boston Celtics.

I don't know what the franchise was thinking here. I don't know if they weighed what this means to their fan base, to their core of players, to what they are trying to do as a franchise. It reminds me of when the Mavericks got technical and let Steve Nash walk away to win MVPs in Phoenix based on god-knows-what that told them they shouldn't.

Al Horford clearly wanted every last dollar out of Atlanta, not wanting to take another discount to stay, but that's his prerogative. He doesn't owe the Hawks a discount, especially in an economic environment where it didn't really hinder the Hawks to go full max.

I really believed that, in the end, both sides would make it work. But now seeing Horford tweet Celtics Pride makes my stomach turn in a way I haven't felt since this franchise traded Dominique.

In that moment, there was a darkness over the franchise that last, for me, quite a long time into the late 90s, before I finally warmed up again. I could definitely see that happening again for me, and others like me. Sure they still have Paul Millsap and Dwight Howard, but this is different. Al Horford was different.

Al Horford was a steal of a pick at number three overall in the 2007 draft. He patiently waited while Mike Woodson, Joe Johnson and company ignored him offensively. But he ran the floor, made himself relevant with his athleticism and hard work, eventually mastered the mid-range jumpshot and efficient passing  and turned it into multiple all-star performances as the Hawks rose up, eventually to 50 wins and the Conference Finals.

He was the Atlanta's Tim Duncan, the mild mannered big man with fundamental skills and the type of personality the team was building around. As Ferry, Wilcox and Budenholzer framed and built the team, it was Horford in the middle of it all, the rock, the foundation. Success has never seen the Atlanta Hawks the way it had with Al Horford as its basketball barometer.

Now the Hawks let six million dollars, money that will long be spent and forgotten over the course of five years, allow that guy to wear Celtics colors and help them take a large step up in the conference while the Hawks lose a rudder and scramble to redefine things.

That's not something that's happened to the Spurs over the course of their dominance of the NBA, the franchise allegedly the Hawks were patterning themselves after. Sadly, copies are never as crisp as the original.

Clearly, they didn't feel the same way about Horford as I did, and other fans did, or this wouldn't have happened. To put that kind of limit on Horford meant they weren't fully sold on him being that guy, that something was missing that prevented them fully going all-out to make sure he didn't go to such a bitter rival. There are others who subscribe to this, that Al simply isn't the guy to get the Hawks to the promised land.

But for me, it's a heartbreak, and one I'm not sure I can recover from soon, as I said. They got nothing for Horford other than the relief of not having to scramble to make a deal. And Paul Millsap is going to demand so much more after this next season, and Dennis Schröder is coming soon, so this is not a conversation that's going away.

The franchise took a major, major step backwards today. I feel it in my stomach-punched soul, and it hurts. Real Bad.

The entitled Boston Celtics get an amazing player, no matter what Tommy Heinsohn said about him in the playoffs (that tune will change very quickly), to go with a terrific young coach and a solid core of athletic players. The Hawks get nothing, and that pretty much defines history of the two franchises, both present and future.

Great article. It's pretty clear that the Hawks didn't really want to sign Horford, they just wanted their fans to think they tried. Signing Howard and Bazemore and then trading Milsap to keep Horford made no sense.

The "entitled Boston Celtics"? I don't get that phrase.

Celtics fans are very, very spoiled. See: all the whining and thrashing and comments like "this offseason will be a failure if we don't get Durant and Horford" earlier today when it looked like we might come up empty. Most teams come up empty every single year and live with it. Celtics fans don't. I love that Cs fans want more, but it's understandable that a franchise such as ATL, whose greatest accomplishment in decades is an ECF appearance, would perceive the Cs and its fanbase as an entitled pair. Most fans view the Cs as the league's cream of the crop -- right there with LAL, Chicago, SAS, NYK, etc. It's only Celtics fans that irrationally convince themselves that we're a league-wide underdog and that no one wants us to win.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2016, 08:50:30 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I think this can be considered getting over the hump.

Not that he's some big time scorer, but he fits the C's style so well, plus... we signed a notable FREE AGENT.

« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

To be fair to the Hawks, a front-court of Millsap and Horford probably makes a lot more sense then Millsap + Horford.

The Hawks have been stuck in no man's land for a LONG time, always being that 'good but not great' team who did as well as they could without a superstar, but never got far enough. 

Re-signing Horford would have left them with the same team moving forward, and would have all but guaranteed that they would have move forward with more of the same, with greatness continuing to fall from their grasp.

By adding Howard the Hawks have added a legit superstar for the first time since Dominique, and with the way Howard was misused in Houston, the Hawks can at least HOPE that he flourishes under their system with the extra touches, and starts to look like the Dwight of old - something I think is reasonably likely to occur.

For Boston I still would have preferred Dwight, but I'm happy to accept Horford as a consolation prize.  Our frontcourt scenario was a major cause for concern this year, and Horford helps immensely.  For all his limitations (and he has his share of them) Horford is still, by far, the best big man to wear Celtics green since the departure of Kevin Garnett.

More importantly he's a guy who isn't obsessed with being your #1 guy or having all the spotlight on him - he seems the type who is quite happy to step back into the shadows and take whatever role he's given.  That's going to be very important for us moving forward, because as long as Thomas is here Horford will be a #2 at best, and if we do get Durant that could push him back to a #3 option.  In that role he might prove a wiser piece then Dwight.  I think Dwight would be fine playing #2 to Durant, but I'm not sure he'd be happy to play #3 behind both Durant AND Thomas. In the long term that may have caused problems.

Four months ago, I was strongly against signing Al Horford to a max deal.  One Month ago, I was still very uncomfortable with that idea.  After seeing Mike Conley sign for < $30m, Chandler Parsons sign for ~$23m, and seeing Mahinmi/Mozgov/Turner all sign for $17m-$18m...I must admit that the idea of giving close to $30M for Horford no longer sounds nearly as terrible.  I'm not going to say it's a bargain, but under these circumstances it's certainly justifiable.

Boston now has:

1) Al Horford under contract for ~$27m

2) Thomas, Bradley and Crowder all around 25 years of age, and all under contract for ~22m combined

3) A ton of young prospects with potential (Brown, Jackson, Rozier, Smart, Mickey, Bentil, Yabusele, Antic)

4) A crap-ton of cap space

5) Jaylen Brown

6) Two future Nets picks with top 5 potential

Is there any team in the NBA who is in a better position then us moving forward, honestly???

« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2016, 08:53:04 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think Horford is a much better player than Howard. I feel only pity for Hawks fans. Although it is hard to feel that as I am legitimately gleeful. Love Horford's character. Love his game. He was the second best free agent on the market period. Howard was far below Horford.

« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2016, 08:53:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

https://youtu.be/eVM1nUmDHHc