Author Topic: Danny Ainge to be on WEEI at noon  (Read 12678 times)

Re: Danny Ainge to be on WEEI at noon
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Was a great interview . Both guys put Ainges feet to the fire .

As they should have.

Ainge is an aweful drafter .....fab , JJJ, ......he talks about not paying attention to draft boards ....sounds like he really needs to pay more attention .

Brown is a good pick .   But the opportunity to improve the Celtics via Philly was of epic screw ups .

The pick would have been twice as valuable traded for a front court players we need so bad.

He needs to listen to other people .   Or quit.

If a GM bases his decision on what these so called-analysts and fans like you, they dont deserve to be GMs. FAB was a gamble that didnt pan out, at that point in the draft you take a gamble, esp since you got a surefire pick in Sullinger, a lottery pick that fell. Sure you couldve taken Plumlee, but no one, not even the team that drafted them, thought guys like Middleton, Crowder, or Green thought they would be that good. REALITY is more than 50% of guys drafted after the 20th pick dont end up playing for more than 3 years. At that point in the draft you could either gamble, or get a sure but boring pick. You have guys who wanted to gamble at guys like Upshaw, but if those kinds of picks dont pan out the GMs are horrible? Sure, if Brown doesnt pan out it is Danny's (as was Stevens, Wyc etc who approved of the pick) fault, but the later the draft goes, the lower your accountability will be.

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ainge showing a lot of confidence there in Brown, saying that if he had stayed in school he'd likely be the #1 pick next year.

Which is just plain crazy talk.  Sophomores will never be taken #1.  Not when you have guys like Giles and Jackson as freshmen next year.

What??

If giles/jackson did 20 ppg and everything else was fantastic. And brown did 20 ppg in year 2. Then yes, those guys prob go ahead

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
Ainge showing a lot of confidence there in Brown, saying that if he had stayed in school he'd likely be the #1 pick next year.

Which is just plain crazy talk.  Sophomores will never be taken #1.  Not when you have guys like Giles and Jackson as freshmen next year.

Bogut and Blake Griffin were.  It's not likely (only twice in the past 11 years), especially with a loaded draft like next year's, but it's definitely possible
I'm bitter.

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Also saying he will keep exploring the trade market, even before the start of FA. 'Back on it today'

Remind me again why I should attach any credibility to the above statement.

Back to handing out Tommy Points to the people who get it, and laughing at the Ainge apologists.

It's tough being right - about Danny Ainge's drafting ineptitude.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 01:02:09 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I love this quote

“Some of the best drafts I’ve ever been involved with in my career were the ones that were booed most by the fans,” Ainge said. “Last night, reactions are all about popularity. They’re not about anything more than that, so I don’t play anything into that at all.”

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 01:05:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think the best parts of interview was crushing him on the roster and the potential to actually be a contender fast. Pointing out his inability to get deals done or attract the "right" FAs. The questions on draft weren't bad they just wanted his perspective on the direction. DA basically said he isn't done setting the roster before FA start he is still working.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
It's Ainge's job to explore different deals to improve the team and he does that. Fans expecting him to make bad deals are nuts. They should be thankful he shows an open mind and explores these trades.  The media likes to blow that stuff up because it's good for them not necessarily the celtics.    Fans should be t hankful he does all that and probably has a better view of the bigger picture because of it.

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
 Big O should get grilled sometime on his logic. He's too busy grilling steaks and the real meat is the problem.

If Big O was ever running this team we'd all have heart disease for real.

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Compare Browns freshman stats to some of the seniors we wanted to take (like hield) as freshman.  Brown as a freshman is far superior to hield as a freshman.  Who knows how good brown will be 3 years from now when he's an old man like Dunn and hield.

Glad we took a 19 year old with potential.  He also plays a position we will be able to use him in - especially if turner walks. 

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
Compare Browns freshman stats to some of the seniors we wanted to take (like hield) as freshman.  Brown as a freshman is far superior to hield as a freshman.  Who knows how good brown will be 3 years from now when he's an old man like Dunn and hield.

Glad we took a 19 year old with potential.  He also plays a position we will be able to use him in - especially if turner walks.

I think Brown takes Jerebko's minutes, not Turner. Smart and Rozier take Turner's minutes if he is gone.

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

I think Brown takes Jerebko's minutes, not Turner. Smart and Rozier take Turner's minutes if he is gone.

More accurately, I think Smart and Rozier take Turner's minutes and Brown takes the "Smart at SF" minutes.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Bogut and Blake Griffin were.  It's not likely (only twice in the past 11 years), especially with a loaded draft like next year's, but it's definitely possible

Bogut and Griffin were drafted almost ten years ago.  That's not happening in today's world unless the clear cut top freshmen completely flame out.  But looking at Giles and Jackson footage, there's very little chance of that happening, as you said.

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Was a great interview . Both guys put Ainges feet to the fire .

As they should have.

Ainge is an aweful drafter .....fab , JJJ, ......he talks about not paying attention to draft boards ....sounds like he really needs to pay more attention .

Brown is a good pick .   But the opportunity to improve the Celtics via Philly was of epic screw ups .

The pick would have been twice as valuable traded for a front court players we need so bad.

He needs to listen to other people .   Or quit.

If a GM bases his decision on what these so called-analysts and fans like you, they dont deserve to be GMs. FAB was a gamble that didnt pan out, at that point in the draft you take a gamble, esp since you got a surefire pick in Sullinger, a lottery pick that fell. Sure you couldve taken Plumlee, but no one, not even the team that drafted them, thought guys like Middleton, Crowder, or Green thought they would be that good. REALITY is more than 50% of guys drafted after the 20th pick dont end up playing for more than 3 years. At that point in the draft you could either gamble, or get a sure but boring pick. You have guys who wanted to gamble at guys like Upshaw, but if those kinds of picks dont pan out the GMs are horrible? Sure, if Brown doesnt pan out it is Danny's (as was Stevens, Wyc etc who approved of the pick) fault, but the later the draft goes, the lower your accountability will be.

BANG!! nailed it...

Its a draft there are no sure picks and 90% of the picks are players who see little to no action at all!! While most on this board want criticize his bad picks (as every GM has them) its funny how no one wants to mention how he had the insight to grab Rondo, Perk, Bradley, Big AL.... and this was all done with mid to late first rounders... While every one wants to boo hoo over a trade not being made DA said himself EVERY REPORT posted online was untrue ... c'mon like we all didnt know that Middleton and Monroe for some garbage picks was really going top happen.. too many of you really have your head stuck in your.......................

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

More accurately, I think Smart and Rozier take Turner's minutes and Brown takes the "Smart at SF" minutes.

I still can't fathom not starting our #3 pick. Who cares about next season?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 01:55:55 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

This draft was historically bad, but oladipo, a junior from a big time program, SHOULD have been number 1 and went number 2.

You are absolutley right but never say never.  All it takes is someone who develops in a huge way between frosh and soph year.