Poll

Which players would you want us to come away with if we traded up to numeber 6? (Pick 2)

Dragan Bender
14 (24.6%)
Kris Dunn
8 (14%)
Jaylen Brown
13 (22.8%)
Buddy Hield
8 (14%)
Jamal Murray
7 (12.3%)
Marquese Chriss
3 (5.3%)
Jakob Poeltl
2 (3.5%)
Domantas Sabonis
1 (1.8%)
Henry Ellenson
0 (0%)
Malachai Richardson
0 (0%)
Wade Baldwin IV
1 (1.8%)
Other (Explain in Comments)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Poll: Moving up with The Pelicans  (Read 3224 times)

Poll: Moving up with The Pelicans
« on: June 18, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Saw this on Reddit the other day that certain unsubstantiated sources are claiming that the Celtics have held discussions about moving up to acquire a pick between 4 and 8...
https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/4odtry/celtics_vying_to_acquire_another_top_8_pick/
I've also hear on Sam Vescine's New Orleans offseason preview that the NO fans have been targeting the Celtics as a potential means to move down in the draft to better fill out their roster...
https://soundcloud.com/sam-vecenie/game-theory-episode-38-final

So in theory if we made a trade that was essentially something like...
NOP gets: Bradley, #16, #23, #31
BOS gets: #6, Tyreke

Which 2 player would you want us to come out with if we picked from selections 3 and 6? Do we draft 2 upside guys? A safe pick and a high upside pick? A big man and a guard? Who ya got?

Note: The Purpose of this thread is not to debate the merits of the proposed deal but to explore which 2 players you'd want to draft if we had 2 pick in the top 8.

Edit: I didn't include Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram since it is too likely that they'd be gone by the pick. If either fell to us I'd take them with the 3rd pick and run but feel free to explain in comments if you wouldn't pick either of them even if they fell to us.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:15:06 PM by Smartacus »

Re: Poll: Moving up with The Pelicans
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 04:17:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I voted Dunn and Hield. We need firepower and a defensive big.

Trade Dunn and pieces for Noel and keep Hield.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:21:48 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I voted Dunn and Hield. We need firepower and a defensive big.

Trade Dunn and pieces for Noel and keep Hield.
It wouldn't take extra pieces to get Noel. They would do Noel for Dunn straight up for sure, given that they have a huge logjam and center and Dunn is the better overall prospect.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 04:23:51 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
I picked Jamal Murray and Jaylen Brown.

Think there's an 80% chance that Murray turns into a nice starer to Borderline all star.

Think there's about a 45% chance that Brown turns into a franchise cornerstone.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bender and Hield for me. I think Bender is he best prospect long term and Hield is likely to be available at 6 to add some shooting to the back court. I would have gone Brown instead of Hield but I think it's unlikely he'd be around

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 04:28:53 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
Bender-Brown would give us a lot of size and athleticism in the front court.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Good thread. I've thought about them as partners as well.

The Pelicans are in win now mode, so I imagine they would be very receptive to add a player like Bradley. Evans could do a lot of the things Turner does and if memory serves me correctly Ainge has had interest in him before. He's had some injury history, but his contract will be expiring. The Pelicans are said to want to deal him due to a poor fit.

Evans

for

Bradley

It works for me. At #3 we could take Brown and at #6 we could take another swing for the fences and go with Bender. I would like to start Smart alongside Thomas and have Evans coming off the bench doing all the Turner type things.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 04:44:59 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Good thread. I've thought about them as partners as well.

The Pelicans are in win now mode, so I imagine they would be very receptive to add a player like Bradley. Evans could do a lot of the things Turner does and if memory serves me correctly Ainge has had interest in him before. He's had some injury history, but his contract will be expiring. The Pelicans are said to want to deal him due to a poor fit.

Evans

for

Bradley

It works for me. At #3 we could take Brown and at #6 we could take another swing for the fences and go with Bender. I would like to start Smart alongside Thomas and have Evans coming off the bench doing all the Turner type things.

Absolutely, I'm not willing to give up on Tyreke quite yet. If Stevens could turn Jordan Crawford into Eastern Conference Player of the week, I think he could find a way to turn Tyreke into a successful 6th man.

Even if Bender was gone in your scenario, we could take Chriss and be looking at a serious infusion of upside and talent.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 04:59:26 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
If this is true, I wonder if the Celtics are doing this to add sweetener for a Jimmy Butler deal.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Brown and Murray.

Not a huge fan of Chriss but might be worth the gamble. His game against Long Beach State he really was a man vs boys. Kids a freak. I don't want any part of Evans as he's had his chances and seems to ball hog who shoots too much but doesn't shoot well. But if we gotta take Evans I'd do the deal.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 05:39:11 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'd like to move up for Baldwin, maybe not at #6 but around #10. Doesn't address a gaping need, but you can always use another versatile 3+D guy, and Baldwin is a great prospect.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 05:45:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
If this is true, I wonder if the Celtics are doing this to add sweetener for a Jimmy Butler deal.

Yeah, it'd really only make sense in a deal for a star (Butler or Cousins) or if we decided to go younger. I can't see the latter option right now.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 05:51:25 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I believe whatever we use for the 6th pick may impact what we can offer the LAL for #3 and parts for INGRAM and RUSSELL. But we need to get Okafor and the 6th pick would do that. Unless we can make Russell the new point guard

We all know Okafor is a scorer and I have made the case that he will be much better, so IMO the time to strike is now. But in order to dominate teams we need to have shooters, and specifically a very good 3point shooting point guard.

Buddy Hield= possibly can trade to lakers for Ingram, and possibly LAL are setting a team that would be perfect for Westbrook. If that is the case then I would (as your future Celtics Owner) make the trade larger to incorporate DeangeloRussell.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 06:31:52 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
It baffles me that someone would trade the #3 pick for Noel who is about to be a free agent and offensively challenged.  And defensively challenged against real 5's.  He'd collapse our spread offense because he wouldn't have to be guarded anywhere but under the basket. 

The 3rd pick for one year of Noel's rookie deal and the opportunity to match his next offer.  I am so glad some of you aren't the GM of the team I love.  I wouldn't trade the 16th pick straight up for Noel.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I love this trade. The beautiful thing about Tyreke as our sixth man is he has the height to spell Smart at the 2 or Crowder at the 3. I love Bradley, but clearly Smart is the future at 2.

I would drop back to four with Phoenix and pick Hield at four, Poeltl at six and hopefully Sabonis with 13 (assuming Phoenix would part with the pick; I would throw in 35 if necessary).