Poll

Was Bird a power forward or a small forward?

Power Forward
1 (3.2%)
Small Forward
30 (96.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Help me settle a debate (re: Larry Bird)  (Read 4449 times)

Help me settle a debate (re: Larry Bird)
« on: June 09, 2016, 12:47:12 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Arguing with a friend of mine and Bird and the position he played.  The question is simple:  Was Bird a power forward or a small forward?

And yes, I know full well people are going to say he was unique, a point forward, etc.  But to me the answer is obvious, though I don't want to bias the discussion by stating my stance; at least not now.

Re: Help me settle a debate (re: Larry Bird)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He played small forward. Period. End of story.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Up until 1985, Bird was paired with Max in the frontcourt, and was the bigger of the two forwards. Make of this what you will.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Arguing with a friend of mine and Bird and the position he played.  The question is simple:  Was Bird a power forward or a small forward?

And yes, I know full well people are going to say he was unique, a point forward, etc.  But to me the answer is obvious, though I don't want to bias the discussion by stating my stance; at least not now.

He played both positions during his career. Most remember the Big Three years, when he was a SF.

In today's game? Bird probably plays PF, in a Draymond Green type of role. Man, he'd be great to watch today.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Up until 1985, Bird was paired with Max in the frontcourt, and was the bigger of the two forwards. Make of this what you will.
true, but even during those years he was playing a lot in a unit with Parish and McHale. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Their size wasn't relevant. If you look at where and how they played in the offense (and who, I suspect they defended though I'm not 100% on that) Bird was the SF.

I'm on my phone and limited but it'd be interesting for someone to go back to a few games in he early 80s and see who Bird covered.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Their size wasn't relevant. If you look at where and how they played in the offense (and who, I suspect they defended though I'm not 100% on that) Bird was the SF.

I'm on my phone and limited but it'd be interesting for someone to go back to a few games in he early 80s and see who Bird covered.

Bird in my opinion was a natural small forward.  McHale was the power forward he played alongside for the most part.  Like many players, Bird could line up at other positions but I think it is pretty clear that he was a SF.

The thing about who he played on defense, I remember that McHale used to cover Dominique Wilkins.  It was strange but McHale could actually defend him better.  But that doesn't make Bird a PF anymore than it makes McHale a SF.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 03:25:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Bird in my opinion was a natural small forward.  McHale was the power forward he played alongside for the most part.  Like many players, Bird could line up at other positions but I think it is pretty clear that he was a SF.

The thing about who he played on defense, I remember that McHale used to cover Dominique Wilkins.  It was strange but McHale could actually defend him better.  But that doesn't make Bird a PF anymore than it makes McHale a SF.

McHale was always placed on the quicker forwards/better scoring options where he could use his length and it would allow Bird to roam defensively.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 03:25:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

And I think Bird covered Willis right? Because it allowed him to roam.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 03:29:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So essentially we are saying that Bird is very similar to:

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 05:27:12 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Larry Bird was the greatest forward of all time. Your debate is now over.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 05:46:57 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

If you go back to the 1986 finals you can see time travelers holding up a sign in the crowd calling Larry Bird the American Jonas Jerebko. Some people claim it to be remnants from the old film mixed with the smoky lit Garden atmosphere. But I believe it is true.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

May these 2 players never be spoken in the same breath sir..

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 01:57:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think he was clearly a SF in the 80's.

But in today's game, he'd clearly be a PF. That's the thing about positions in the NBA. Jalen Rose talks about how positions only exist to help people who don't know much about the game understand what's going on. Positions don't actually mean anything and that just becomes more apparent across eras.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008