Author Topic: Dragan Bender  (Read 29961 times)

Dragan Bender
« on: April 15, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
What are your thoughts on him? He seems to have fallen off a lot of peoples radar but I still like him.

Watching a lot of footage today of different players and I feel like the top of this draft is strong and really hard to differentiate between players as far as who to take.  2 months to go until draft time but I hope we take someone this draft.  We could always trade the pick but there are players I like. 

Simmons seems like the guy who does it all, has the physical tools to really take players off the dribble and finish at the rim.  Hield is a lights out shooter who is quick off the dribble and can shoot with supreme range.  Ingram is a pure scorer who can do a variety of things as far as scoring and plays hard.

I'm not sure I want the c's to take Dunn or a guy like jaylen brown just yet.  There are some interesting big men this draft.

Ellenson is a hard worker and really mobile for a guy his size.  He's thick and reminds me a bit of david lee or kevin love without the range.  I'm not sure I see the physical tools with him or athleticism but he's thick and active enough where he should succeed.  He's like Harangody with upside. Harangody had none.

Sabonis is more your classic white center with his own style.  Plays with some fire and has length and intelligence but is more in the mold of a better version of the guys you see nowadays like Zeller.  Plays inside is a smart passer and just plays like a center should.  He's versatile enough. I think he'll be good but might take a bit to fill out.

Skal and Thon are really the guys with athleticism.  Thon is more versatile though and can take you off the dribble, play from the outside in etc.  He also is just really imposing with his athleticism in highlight videos ala Kevin Garnett although I'm not sure I'm buying it. There just isn't that much footage on him against real competition and he is a bit of a mystery. I also just don't like the way he moves.    Skal on the other hand can post up, has a mid range jumper and more just a classic player that way with the ability to block shots and roam the paint. He's a twig though and somewhat undersized.

Thon and Bender really have the most versatile offensive skill sets.  Thon seems to do it with athleticism where Bender is more a finesse player though who can do things with quickness and speed.  I'm liking Bender even still.  I think people have given up on him and there is a lack of footage. The footage out there also isn't even that impressive. But something about him I like.  Maybe it's the tom brady in me.  But he is versatile. He has athlecism but it's not as apparent.

Bender to me is a taller, whiter, more versatile player than Ingram in ways. Something about the game seems to come easy to him though. We have KO where it doesn't make much sense, but I still like him. I'm not sure how he even fits with us.   But I still like him. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:21:01 PM by walker834 »

Re: Dragan Bender
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:52:29 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I guess what I'm saying is I like Bender because he is the one guy I see in this draft who can do it all and it seems to come with ease.  Hield is a supreme shooter.  Simmons has the physical tools.  Ellenson is what he is.  Skal I can see what he is too.  Bender is still really good.

If there is one player I'm taking ahead of Simmons this draft Bender and Ingram are still right there.

It's that sneaky quickness and speed and finesse I like over a guy like thon. He's a better passer than Ingram. He can shoot it inside and out. He has the length to challenge shots and the quickness to defend. If you watch highlights of him it appears he isn't working as hard as Ingram to get his shot.

If it sounds like I like Bender better than Simmons or Ingram for this team it's because I do in ways.   Something with Simmons doesn't sit right with me right now.  Same with Ingram.  I'd be perfectly fine with the lakers getting Simmons and us getting Bender even still.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:14:50 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:31:24 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Certainly worth a look with the Dallas pick

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 08:33:03 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
In summary. jaylen brown is a physical guard. I don't see us taking him when we have smart and Crowder.  Dunn is a pg.  We have Isaiah, Smart and Rozier.

Ellenson - David Lee but doesn't have the athleticism Lee had early in his career.  Can't shoot like Love.  Plays below the rim.  Harangody on steroids. I don't see us taking him.

SAbonis - Good center by todays standards.  Plays with an edge and smart passer.  Intelligent.  Fairly versatile.  Good length etc.  might take a bit to fill out but should be a very solid center in the NBA. I don't see us taking him.

Simmons - Super prospect.  Can do it all.  A bit of a blue chip though and players like this can be overhyped/lebronesque. Not the greatest shooter. Not the greatest defender at the 3 or 4 but with the right mindset could get better. Simmons is not going to bust. He is going to be a top player in the nba. just depends what kind of top player.  Some questions but I still like him.

Ingram - very good scorer and motor.  Better than Simmons this way.  Doesn't go through the motion or seem to play like ****.  Not kevin durant.  Very good prospect though.

Hield-Supreme shooter and good off the dribble.  Shoots a lot. Still like him.

Thon Maker - Amazing prospect on tape. I don't like the way he moves.

Skal - some physical limitations but good interior defender and prospect. very good athleticism. Skinny and undersized.  Good post up skills. Good jumper.

Bender - doesn't look that great on tape. Really is that good and is probably the best prospect in this whole thing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:39:58 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Certainly worth a look with the Dallas pick

eh he will go top 4 if he slides people are sillly though.  I think he could be the best prospect.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If bender can turn into a pau gasol , then that's a good thing

But he can't rebound well for his size currently. It's a concern

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 08:39:24 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Eh. I'm really not a fan of him at all. I just don't see anything at all that says he will have any remote success in the NBA. If we take him, though, I'd love to be proven wrong.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 09:10:32 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think his rebounds suffer because he's young and playing in transition and outside a lot. He also doesn't play a lot.  I dont know if i see him like pau or even dirk though.  he's his own player.  He's more like a faster more versatile KO.  Plays with toughness and finesse. When i'm looking at the tape i'm just seeing all the things he is doing.  There are only 3 players in this draft that do that much at that level. Simmons, Ingram and Bender.  I like Bender's style better than the other 2.  It seems to come easy to him like i was saying because of his versatility and ability to get out on the break as a finisher and leading it.  Most stuff i see from Simmons is him rebounding and leading the break.  Bender seems to do both plus can spot up and also advances the ball with the pass.

If you watch highlights he is posting up. leading hte break.  finishing on the break and getting out in front.  rebounding and advancing it with the pass.  LEading the break with the dribble.  He's doing everything.  He is shooting it from the outside. He's shooting it midrange.  He's dunking it. He's taking people off the dribble from the outside.  He's posting up etc.

I don't see how anyone can say there is nothing they see there.   I just watched highlights of him doing everything.

The only knock  on him i see is I can't guage his heart from watching videos so much.  Some players dont necessarily have it. But as far as ability he can do it all.  Some euros just can't do it in the nba.  They don't have the heart. Simmons to me has those same questions although he has the physical tools to overcome it.  I think Bender is more skilled though.  He's talented.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:38:02 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 09:33:33 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's definitely special.
The reason I think he'll appeal to us is his defensive versatility and three point range.
He can guard the pick and roll and switch onto shooters very, very well.
He's also go dribble ability and can be a legitimate stretch five in the NBA.

Danny will bring him in for workouts and we'll also see some more workouts online soon once he comes over to the USA for pre draft stuff.

Brad and Danny will get a lot of time to watch him in the gym and talk to him etc...
If they go with Bender it means they see something special.

We are pretty lucky that we're mathematically getting a 46% chance at one of Simmons, Ingram or Bender, with Hield, Brown, Dunn as the 'scraps', lol.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 09:50:30 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I'm liking his style I know that much.  Some players and their styles are different.  Simmons like i was saying will get the rebound and lead the break.  Lebron is like this too where it's a different style and takes away from the team concept.  Bender seems to do more in different ways.  The issue is we have KO who i like too but having both wouldn't be so bad.

Simmons weakness is playing off the ball although he has that ability.  Bender seems to be the opposite.  Ingram is primarily a scorer who can score in a variety of ways and not as much a distributer.  All 3 are different that way.

just watching all these guys now I think Bender has the best blend of everything that i was not sure on with the other 2.  He also has length to block shots on defense and is the tallest out of all of them.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 09:57:52 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
What's amazing is that he's still only 17 years old. He could grow taller, and he'll certainly fill out.

I think Bender's peak is something like Draymond Green- and active, versatile defender who can hit the three and find open shooters.

A jack of all trades on the offensive end (and master of none), but a formidable defender that can guard anyone in a switch.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What's amazing is that he's still only 17 years old. He could grow taller, and he'll certainly fill out.

I think Bender's peak is something like Draymond Green- and active, versatile defender who can hit the three and find open shooters.

A jack of all trades on the offensive end (and master of none), but a formidable defender that can guard anyone in a switch.

He must be 18 by now.  Has to be 19 by year's end to be draft eligible.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 10:19:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

He must be 18 by now.  Has to be 19 by year's end to be draft eligible.

draft express' youtube breakdown video posted 2 weeks ago said he was turning 18 in November. Maybe they re-shashed it from last year .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqxuDfvse8

But yes, Dr Google says he's 18

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 10:22:29 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I can't really think of a fair comp to Bender. 

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 10:26:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I can't really think of a fair comp to Bender.
How does he compare to Dario Saric?  Are they similar at all?