Author Topic: Predicting who Danny will pick with the Nets pick  (Read 6624 times)

Predicting who Danny will pick with the Nets pick
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We will leave out the 1st two picks for a sec

If we get the 3rd pick -  Between Jaylen Brown or Murray  -  draft Brown - Brown has qualities Danny likes in a wing player.  Wingspan (6'11-7'0) , athleticism, strength, rebounding, finish through contact at the basket, versatile defender.  Comparison - Jason Richardson

If we get the 4th pick -  Murray -  To me has Klay Thompson written all over him. The good and bad.  6'5 vs 6'7 but imo stronger at the same age.   Same deadly shooter/scorer from all over the court.   Effort on defense but nothing amazing.  The Scoring/shooting is the real prize here

If we get the 5th pick - Sabonis  (If he is 6'11 and has 9'0 reach).  Because he is not explosive (though light on his feet), being 6'11 and having 9'0 reach would be big for his draft stock.   No other big was as instrumental for their team.  Very good post skills , feel for game and rebounder.   Improved on his FT shooting percentage from 66 to 74 and did not hesitate to throw up 15-17 ft jump shots.   Much more hesitant to shoot the three, but made them at a decent clip for a big guy (when comfortable to shoot it).    Strong, high motor, has ability to guard from the post or out to the perimeter, embraces physical play.  Intense and leader material.  Comparison - Al Jefferson/Charles Oakley

Also If we draft Brown or Murray
It likely means bye to James Young.  We don't have to give in to Evan Turner's demand for his next contract (especially for length of deal).  2-3 years instead of 4 or 5 he wants.   

IF we draft Sabonis
Zeller either way won't be brought back.  Amir option picked up regardless (unless Horford or another FA big brought in).   You can play a bit more hardball with Sullinger and his next deal.

I would say regardless of who is chosen with the Nets pick, Danny goes for the "upside" pick with the Mavs.    Zimmerman, Chriss, Dejounte Murray,  Labissiere, Ellenson are some names that come to mind. And at least 2 should be available

And that 3rd 1st pick if you can't use to move up from either Nets  or Mavs draft position,  finally use to pick a foreign player to draft and stash.   

Try to use the 2nd picks , even overpay as a tool to move up a spot or two, to get the guy you want.

Re: Predicting who Danny will pick with the Nets pick
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 03:21:45 PM »

Offline HuskerCeltic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
What do people honestly think the chances are that we trade it?

I say greater than 50%. Yeah it is not likely that we will trade it for Butler (the next Ray Allen) and then get Durant (KG). I still say we end up trading.

Then I'll answer your question with Hield or Murray with the 3rd to 5th pick

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:25:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I say greater than 50%. Yeah it is not likely that we will trade it for Butler (the next Ray Allen) and then get Durant (KG). I still say we end up trading.

I think it's pretty unlikely that a guy who's worth a top 5 pick will end up actually being available on draft day.  I'm sure there will be chatter about Ainge stepping up trade talks for Butler, or Okafor, or Cousins, or whatever, but it'll come to nothing.

I think the pick will end up being Murray or Bender if it's top 4.  Hield or Poeltl if it's 5-7.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If we get the 5th pick - Sabonis  (If he is 6'11 and has 9'0 reach).  Because he is not explosive (though light on his feet), being 6'11 and having 9'0 reach would be big for his draft stock.   No other big was as instrumental for their team.  Very good post skills , feel for game and rebounder.   Improved on his FT shooting percentage from 66 to 74 and did not hesitate to throw up 15-17 ft jump shots.   Much more hesitant to shoot the three, but made them at a decent clip for a big guy (when comfortable to shoot it).    Strong, high motor, has ability to guard from the post or out to the perimeter, embraces physical play.  Intense and leader material.  Comparison - Al Jefferson/Charles Oakley

Sabonis as the 5th pick? Triboy, what is wrong with you? Seriously.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:30:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm all for taking Sabonis with the Dallas pick around 15 or 16, but top 10? No way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:33:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not very good. Because Chicago with Butler would want someone like Ingram in return.   If you were the Bulls why would you grab Murray or Brown for Butler?   Unless they want to start new and need other picks to build their team again. Celtics would have to give up a ton for Butler (all 3 1sts and 2 early ends probably).  I don't know if Danny would do that

Danny is not going for Cousins. I will be all my stars for it. It is not happening. He is not going to put CBS through the Cousin drama.

If Durant comes to Boston, you could try another Ray Allen move. But where is there a "ray allen" like player/situation right now?   Like a guy in their early 30's still playing at an all star level

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:38:54 PM »

Offline TheTruth

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
I wouldn't be surprised if Sabonis went around 10th or 11th but 5th??  ?

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:24 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Not very good. Because Chicago with Butler would want someone like Ingram in return.   If you were the Bulls why would you grab Murray or Brown for Butler?   Unless they want to start new and need other picks to build their team again. Celtics would have to give up a ton for Butler (all 3 1sts and 2 early ends probably).  I don't know if Danny would do that

Danny is not going for Cousins. I will be all my stars for it. It is not happening. He is not going to put CBS through the Cousin drama.

If Durant comes to Boston, you could try another Ray Allen move. But where is there a "ray allen" like player/situation right now?   Like a guy in their early 30's still playing at an all star level

Marc Gasol?

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm all for taking Sabonis with the Dallas pick around 15 or 16, but top 10? No way.

like I stated, if he is 6'11 and has 9'0 reach.  Accomplishment wise for a 2nd year player he was the most productive/accomplished big man in the country

Some ppl here would say no and go for Bender but that is a personal preference.  I'm talking about from the perspective of Danny and CBS head.   There is much more than having the ability to run like a Gazelle for a big man, to have a possiblity to get playing time under CBS. 

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

And tell me who you think are ahead of Sabonis (big players) and reason why

Did any of them do 19 and 14 rebound avg for the tourney?

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Great job, Triboy. You're willing to reach about 10-15 spots from where he's projecting to go based on what, 3 tourney games? That makes a ton of sense. If he had won a title you probably would've had him as the overall #1.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »

Offline HuskerCeltic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4

You are right, we won't get Butler. But still, I say we will end up trading it. Outright or in a package for Hayward or Gallo or Okafor or... there is a long list. The long list is the reason that I say it gets traded. Too many good possibilities for it not to.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:02:03 PM by HuskerCeltic »

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 03:53:35 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

Not many players averaged those stats, but Kelly Olynyk did the same and look at what he's amounted to. A solid role player because he's not an athletic wonder and can't shoot well enough to be Dirk-esque. so if you think Kelly Olynyk is worth a top 5 pick I'm glad you are not drafting for us. I'd rather have Henry Ellenson or Peoltl because they actually have positions and have the possibility to be good starters at either the 4 or 5 positions.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Sabonis' current mock projections

Si- 19
ESPN- 17
Draft Express- 19
USA Today - 18

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 03:54:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Great job, Triboy. You're willing to reach about 10-15 spots from where he's projecting to go based on what, 3 tourney games? That makes a ton of sense. If he had won a title you probably would've had him as the overall #1.

yes and you are willing to reach for Bender bc he looks flashy but showed no "substance"/consistency.

This makes a ton of sense