Author Topic: OKC-GSW-Celtics major trade idea: Barnes to Celtics  (Read 4200 times)

OKC-GSW-Celtics major trade idea: Barnes to Celtics
« on: February 14, 2016, 10:47:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
To OKC- Lee, Sullinger, Looney, Mcadoo, GSW 1st, 3 Celtics 1st (non lotto) , 2 2nd Celtics pick (highest)
To GSW- Durant, Novak, Roberson
To Celtics- Harrison Barnes,  Bogut

-why OKC does the trade.  They have to get real right now and know that risking losing Durant for nothing would cripple their team moving fwd.  Better to give the "the man" title to RW finally and acquire the assets to stock up for the future.   Sullinger is a nice addition.  Looney and Mcadoo have potential and all the extra lottery picks can be packaged to move up higher/trade for a quality near all Star

-why GSW does the trade.  No secret if Durant leaves , GSW are interested to sign him.  So forget about keeping this a secret everyone knows about and just make it official.  In order to sign Durant to a massive deal,  GSW will need to get rid of Bogut and also Barnes (has no future with the team).   Durant (healthy) + GSW would be ridiculous.  Possible Dynasty

- Why Celtics does the trade.  Barnes is someone Ainge has been a big fan of since draft night. And Barnes has grown tremendously as a player the last several years.  He is ready to explode.  Celtics will be also able to give him a nice contract which I can't see Barnes refuse.  Worse case you sign him to a 1 year deal and trade him at the deadline.  There is no doubt some risks involved here but Danny can't keep all those picks anyways.  Bogut is a nice find (considered to be mainly a salary dump so that GSW can sign Durant).

Lineup after trade (also Zeller traded on a separate deal)

Bogut
KO
Barnes
AB
IT

Amir
Mickey/Jerebko
Crowder
Turner
Smart

again before you think OKC is sort of getting the worse out of this, can't see many teams ponying up alot for Durant.  Because of his FA status after this season.   OKC might have a decent chance to get far in the playoffs by keeping Durant, but with Durant's health issues this season not likely.   GSW also taking a risk by betting that Durant will be as new as ever after this season and signing him to a massive next contract.

yay or nay?

Re: OKC-GSW-Celtics major trade idea: Barnes to Celtics
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 10:59:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
on 2nd thought one of the Celts picks may have to be the nets pick  (to OKC)

still yay or nay then?

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 11:06:26 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2443
I understand OKC might lose Durant for nothing.. But I think they'd rather risk that than accept this deal.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 11:20:57 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1711
Not sure that I buy that Harrison Barnes is this secret superstar and I'm sure as hell not paying like he's one. 

That trade sucks for everybody except GS.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 11:56:09 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
How in the world is OKC going to be crippled if KD leaves? They'll still have Westbrook and Ibaka; they can go ahead and completely blow the team up and trade those guys for a ton of assets if Durant leaves this summer.

That logic is dumb. You don't blow up a title contender prematurely because, gasp, your best player might leave. You take your chances when you have a plausible shot at winning it all.

If your response is going to be, "no way, Golden State's obviously going to win it all" - on February 14th... - then there's no point in even bothering to discuss this. Might as well just call the season right now, because it's not like bad matchups or injuries happen.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 12:21:48 AM »

Offline Nikki8

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Nay, no way I''m giving up that much for Barnes (even before adding the Nets pick), Durrant yay, Barnes nay. 

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 01:29:31 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think if you want OKC to listen to this call (and not hang up in your face) then I think OKC's return would have to start with some combination of Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and the 2016 Brooklyn pick. 

Those are probably the only 5 assets that Boston and Golden State (combined) have available that OKC takes any interest in.

Well there's Curry as well of course, but I think it's safe to say that OKC doesn't even waste theri time asking for that one.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 01:36:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think if you want OKC to listen to this call (and not hang up in your face) then I think OKC's return would have to start with some combination of Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and the 2016 Brooklyn pick. 

Those are probably the only 5 assets that Boston and Golden State (combined) have available that OKC takes any interest in.

Well there's Curry as well of course, but I think it's safe to say that OKC doesn't even waste theri time asking for that one.

and if they lose Durant for nothing so be it?

Lots of rumors he is bolting vs staying put. He has yet confirmed or denied he wants to leave. Though he has said frequently it's nice to know you will be sought after in the off the season. 

Sound like a guy who has one foot out the door?

vs Derozan who has quieted the rumors he might leave and has said along the lines he wants to stay. He has built the raptors team

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 01:38:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
To be honest my trade idea or any possibility in general is not that the Celts are the key player in this trade

Maybe the nets pick is the highest thing the Celts give up. Not Smart , not even Crowder for ultimately Barnes. 

If GSW want to give Thompson to OKC they can be my guest

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 01:43:51 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Lots of rumors he is bolting vs staying put. He has yet confirmed or denied he wants to leave. Though he has said frequently it's nice to know you will be sought after in the off the season. 

vs Derozan who has quieted the rumors he might leave and has said along the lines he wants to stay. He has built the raptors team

If he leaves so be it.  No way I am giving up the opportunity to convince him to stay for a pile of mid to late first rounders. 

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 01:57:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If he leaves so be it.  No way I am giving up the opportunity to convince him to stay for a pile of mid to late first rounders.

If I'm OKC management , I'm pressing questions on Durant and his Agent.   

Do you want to stay for the long term?   

If you feel any slight bit of hesitation, i'm thinking long and hard to making a trade

He is not well this season with injuries.  He reinjured himself.  He probably wants to just sit , not play so hard and fully heal up for next season also.

So keep him for the rest of the season for what?

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 02:03:30 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It'd be idiotic to make a panic move to trade Durant when you have a decent chance of retaining him because you are afraid of losing him for nothing.  And then are you going to repeat this dance in a year because you aren't guaranteed about re-signing Westbrook and could lose him for nothing?  Forget the treadmill of mediocrity.  That would be the downward spiral of stupidity.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 02:09:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
It'd be idiotic to make a panic move to trade Durant when you have a decent chance of retaining him because you are afraid of losing him for nothing.  And then are you going to repeat this dance in a year because you aren't guaranteed about re-signing Westbrook and could lose him for nothing?  Forget the treadmill of mediocrity.  That would be the downward spiral of stupidity.

If Durant leaves, OKC won't be thinking, oh that's ok, we are happy about the risk we took.

More like, crap maybe we should of traded him. 

It's a risk you take or don't

sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't

Durant has given little assurance he wants to stay.  He has not said he wants to leave either. But his eyes are wandering.  He looks like to me he would not mind one sec to change scenery/go to a bigger market. Also don't have to keep struggling/clashing with RW.
 I can totally buy the rumor that there is a very good chance he signs with the GSW in the offseason. 

Get a big paycheque, play on a more stacked team that has the experience of winning a championship

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 02:31:23 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

If Durant leaves, OKC won't be thinking, oh that's ok, we are happy about the risk we took.

Durant has given little assurance he wants to stay.  He has not said he wants to leave either. But his eyes are wandering.  He looks like to me he would not mind one sec to change scenery/go to a bigger market. Also don't have to keep struggling/clashing with RW.
 I can totally buy the rumor that there is a very good chance he signs with the GSW in the offseason. 

Get a big paycheque, play on a more stacked team that has the experience of winning a championship

Off-topic question: Are you from outside the US?

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 03:42:11 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Clashing with Westbrook?  Is this an ESPN thread from 2011?  OKC is never replicating the top tier talent they have right now.  They will take as much risk as possible to keep it.