Author Topic: Mannix on WEEI (Al Horford)  (Read 6563 times)

Re: Mannix on WEEI (Al Horford)
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 12:49:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can't see trading for Horford.  I don't mind the player but there is too much risk we lose him.  Why not just sign him in the off season? 

For me, the thinking goes like this.

(a) If we trade for Horford, it could give the Celts the firepower they need to win a playoff series, maybe two, in the post-season.  That sort of run would give the Celts a lot of cred with free agents, Horford or not.

(b) The Celts' biggest draw to free agents is probably Brad Stevens.  That's fine, but I think when you have a coach as your main free agency draw, you want to have your free agent target actually experience playing under the coach before you try to sign them.

(c) Already having Horford in the fold would make the Celts much more credible as a destination for other free agents (probably not Durant, but perhaps a guy like Batum or a trade target like Griffin or Cousins).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 01:00:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Some people want to trade for Carmelo Anthony, but Horford is younger than Melo, a significantly better player, and a better fit.

We need a realistic assessment of how much a few months with the Celtics increases the team's chances of signing him, if Ainge was always going to offer him the non-Bird max this summer.  If it goes from 10% to 30% or more, how much is that worth?  It should have some value.  (Imagine if, instead of Horford, we were talking about Durant.  How much would that be worth to you?)

Trying to keep Olynyk instead of Sullinger in any deal is kind of like insisting that the Timberwolves take Sebastian Telfair.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 01:02:22 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
- Said the c's are absolutely interested in trading for Horford
- Denver might be our biggest competition to land Horfod
- They should trade for Horford now because everyone will have cap space in the off-season
- Trade would be something like KO or Sully, Lee , 2 1st rd picks (not brk)
- Says Horford is worth max because he is top 10 big man in league and can attract other fa's
- Not giving up Smart in Horford trade

WTH?  That's it?

That would be unreal if true.
It wouldn't be unreal.  That's more than we got for Rondo with similar risk attached.  Horford can bail this summer.

And in December, no less -- not February.

But I think it's fair to say that Horford has an impeccable reputation as a player of character and a powerful locker room fixture. To say that such a statement regarding Rondo would be met with divisive reaction would be an understatement. 

One other note: don't underestimate the inclusion of Crowder in the Dallas deal. While it may have looked like a role player addition to fans, Ainge has said repeatedly over the years that there's excellent talent toiling on NBA benches, waiting for the right role / opportunity.

Ainge likely had a bigger crush on Crowder than we could gather at the time.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 01:02:34 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Is there a link to the Audio?

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Just to get a little crazy, imagine completing this trade and landing one of the top two picks.  Plus having Brooklyn's pick for the next two seasons. That would have to be tempting for Durant to sign. I know it's unlikely, but it is possible and fun to think about.

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 01:06:27 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I can't see trading for Horford.  I don't mind the player but there is too much risk we lose him.  Why not just sign him in the off season? 

For me, the thinking goes like this.

(a) If we trade for Horford, it could give the Celts the firepower they need to win a playoff series, maybe two, in the post-season.  That sort of run would give the Celts a lot of cred with free agents, Horford or not.

(b) The Celts' biggest draw to free agents is probably Brad Stevens.  That's fine, but I think when you have a coach as your main free agency draw, you want to have your free agent target actually experience playing under the coach before you try to sign them.

(c) Already having Horford in the fold would make the Celts much more credible as a destination for other free agents (probably not Durant, but perhaps a guy like Batum or a trade target like Griffin or Cousins).

I think, if we did re-sign Horford, it would be a high paying 2-3 year deal with PO's at the end. He turns 30 in June so we could still get two to three years of great basketball from him and he could still be able to sign one more good contract.

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2016, 01:08:05 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
listening back to it , Mannix said he would give up the 2018 nets pick

If thats the case I probably don't do it

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
listening back to it , Mannix said he would give up the 2018 pick

Giving up an unprotected pick for a rental is pretty nutty. But, if Ainge and Bill Duffy coud agree verbally to a new contract to be signed this summer, I can see it.....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 01:16:09 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Giving up an unprotected pick for a rental is pretty nutty. But, if Ainge and Bill Duffy coud agree verbally to a new contract to be signed this summer, I can see it.....

to much of a risk IMO , especially if you have to give a full max

It could end up being like Kyrie for Baron davis or lillard for wallace

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
listening back to it , Mannix said he would give up the 2018 nets pick

If it means saving a talent like Olynyk, I do it.  Who knows where that 2018 pick will land, but getting a guy like Horford and keeping Olynyk is worth the sacrifice to me.

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

to much of a risk IMO , especially if you have to give a full max

It could end up being like Kyrie for Baron davis or lillard for wallace

Is it though ?

I have faith in guys like Ainge and Stevens as salesman for this organization.  I think if a player lands here, both Ainge and Stevens guarantee he stays, as long as the money is right.  A max deal is what this player will get, and the organization knows he's worth it.  So the money won't be an issue whatsoever.

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2016, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Some people want to trade for Carmelo Anthony, but Horford is younger than Melo, a significantly better player, and a better fit.

We need a realistic assessment of how much a few months with the Celtics increases the team's chances of signing him, if Ainge was always going to offer him the non-Bird max this summer.  If it goes from 10% to 30% or more, how much is that worth?  It should have some value.  (Imagine if, instead of Horford, we were talking about Durant.  How much would that be worth to you?)

Trying to keep Olynyk instead of Sullinger in any deal is kind of like insisting that the Timberwolves take Sebastian Telfair.

Melo could be an interesting guy to target after the Celts already have Horford.

Thomas - Bradley - Crowder - Melo - Horford

That could be a pretty dangerous lineup, with Smart, Olynyk, and a competent 3-and-D guy off the bench. 

Could that team beat Cleveland in a series?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2016, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
People are acting as if giving the max to Horford is ridiculous.

Players are getting overpaid, that's just the gist of what has been the normal occurrence. I would certainly give Horford the max if he could possibly lure any free agent, and who knows? Horford might be the one extra cog or gear that this team needs to propel past the possibility of a first round exit.

Melo could be an interesting guy to target after the Celts already have Horford.

Thomas - Bradley - Crowder - Melo - Horford

That could be a pretty dangerous lineup.

Phosita whats your take on the chances of Durant coming here if we came off a 2nd round exit, and Horford was signed to a max?

Could Durant entertain the thought of being the go to guy, with two Allstars, a promising young coach with plenty of accolades already notched in the NBA, and team players who work together with fantastic chemistry?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Lee + Sully or Oly for Horford doesn't work on the machine...

they would need to send back ~$6M additional salary.
who would that be?

also i don't want to trade Oly...
he's my binky