Author Topic: Stein: Joe Johnson could be bought out  (Read 5220 times)

Stein: Joe Johnson could be bought out
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Where will Joe Johnson be playing in 2016-17?

Stein: Not. Brooklyn. That's about as definitive as we can get this far away from free agency. But the more interesting question might be: Will Johnson finish this season in Brooklyn? There are some folks around the league who wonder if the Nets would consent to buying out Johnson after the Feb. 18 trade deadline if they can't move him. The Nets would naturally dismiss any such suggestions, given that they have no other choice but to try to win as many games as they can before sending their unprotected 2016 top pick to Boston. But they also frequently insisted that they wouldn't buy out Deron Williams before ultimately doing so.

Windhorst: Well, where's he going to be playing at the end of this season? He's a buyout candidate in late February to me. He has made more than $170 million in his career. So I see him signing with the best team who wants him and maybe looking to the West for whatever they can pay him. As a role player, shooter off the bench and/or floor-stretcher who has hit clutch shots, Johnson would be the type of veteran for which contenders would compete

Re: Stein: Joe Johnson could be bought out
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:41:54 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Is this a good thing or bad thing?

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
It's a good thing. The Nets don't really have a MO to win as many games as they can to spite us. We think everything is about us but what do they care? What they do care about is profit. If JJ would leave a lot of money on the table for the chance to play for a contender why wouldn't the Nets do it? And why wouldn't JJ do it, he has already made a ton and not won a ring.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 11:01:08 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Sounds like a good thing for both us and Brooklyn. Johnson doesn't seem to put much of an effort on the court, but when he wants to play he's still pretty good. If I'm Brooklyn, I rather give his minutes to the younger guys. For us, him leaving make them slightly worse.

The only two guys on that Brooklyn team whom really seem to matter are Young and Lopez. Lopez is due for an injury.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2676
  • bammokja
Sounds like a good thing for both us and Brooklyn. Johnson doesn't seem to put much of an effort on the court, but when he wants to play he's still pretty good. If I'm Brooklyn, I rather give his minutes to the younger guys. For us, him leaving make them slightly worse.

The only two guys on that Brooklyn team whom really seem to matter are Young and Lopez. Lopez is due for an injury.
i see your point. but the rub is this, are any of those younger sf any good? i hope they all suck since that helps our very own celtics.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
This makes the Nets worse so it's better for the Celtics, but they have no reason unless Joe takes a decent size pay cut.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 11:44:11 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This makes the Nets worse so it's better for the Celtics, but they have no reason unless Joe takes a decent size pay cut.

They don't have the pick anyways, so saving a few million is probably worth more than the 1 or 2 more wins, if that, Johnson provides.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 12:11:23 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
at this point him leaving might actually make them better. i havent watched them to be honest, but i'd bet someone looking to earn a contract / make their mark would be playing harder than him right now. on his best days he's seemed mildly interested.

but i'm not worried, i dont think him leaving will really make a major difference either way.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1823
I've never liked the idea of a player being bought out just to join another team during the season. These types of players should be ineligible for the playoffs or such.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 01:07:22 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
at this point him leaving might actually make them better. i havent watched them to be honest, but i'd bet someone looking to earn a contract / make their mark would be playing harder than him right now. on his best days he's seemed mildly interested.

but i'm not worried, i dont think him leaving will really make a major difference either way.

Joe has been a black hole of suck all season, but he does serve a function for the Nets - he's a very good passer and his presence keeps the overconfident Jack from indulging too heavily in hero mode. His  presence also allows RHJ, Thad and Lopez to avoid having to handle and create from the perimeter.

But BK has no real incentive to ditch him. They are already under the tax. I guess it would free up minutes for Bogey but he's already getting 20+ mpg and has struggled as a starter.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 01:47:09 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Has Crowder defended Lebron decently? 
Small ball lineup in ECF verses Cleveland when Lebron is at PF:

Smart, Bradley, Johnson, Crowder, Sully

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 02:26:51 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 382
Yeah, the Nets would be better if he left---because he would be replaced by a player who might actually TRY...JJ has been horrid---weird, you would think he would play hard--for the Next contract...maybe he's washed up.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yeah, the Nets would be better if he left---because he would be replaced by a player who might actually TRY...JJ has been horrid---weird, you would think he would play hard--for the Next contract...maybe he's washed up.

Has he really been that bad?  Or has he just been shooting really poorly?

I'm wondering how the Nets starting 5 could be doing so well analytics-wise if he were really playing awful...

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 02:52:09 PM »

Online celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
I think how well the nets starting 5 does is a little overstated. They play their starters an astounding amount of minutes (including joe Johnson a ridiculous 35 minutes). Sometimes (like last night) they are playing significant minutes against the others teams bench players. I am not saying their starting 5 Is completely horrible, but the stats that show they are great probably need to be looked at a little closer.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 02:52:30 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
While Joe has been very bad, I think a buyout would still hurt them. With their lack of depth, losing just about anyone would be huge.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers