Author Topic: [LA Times] Boston explored trading picks + Smart for Noel + 3rd, Philly declined  (Read 25399 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
The takeaway here is that Smart very likely could be used to move up in the draft. I think he would have to be included in any deal for a pick in the 5-8 range.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
The takeaway here is that Smart very likely could be used to move up in the draft. I think he would have to be included in any deal for a pick in the 5-8 range.

Not quite the takeaway... Noel + #3 doesn't equal dangling Smart merely to move up...

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If the offer of 16, 28, and Smart for 3 and Noel has been accurately reported and is indicative of the kind of trade offers Ainge has been making, then we will be drafting at 16, 28, 33, and 45.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
So LA Times broke this story?

Sounds credible. LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Looks like just another rumor to to push someone's agenda.
Agreed.

What are: two posters that couldn't be bothered to read the article.

League executives also said the Celtics were trying to move up in the draft, using their two first-round picks and two second-round picks as bait.

The executives said the Celtics were looking to trade point guard Marcus Smart and the Nos. 16 and 28 picks in the first round to Philadelphia for center/forward Nerlens Noel and the No. 3 pick. But the 76ers, the executives said, weren't interested.

Executives said teams with multiple picks are trying to trade some of them and move up in the draft. The 76ers, for instance, have six draft picks — one in the first round and five in the second round, Nos. 35, 37, 47, 58 and 60 — and may look to package some of those or even sell a few of them.

The Clippers are a team looking to buy a second-round pick.

Broderick Turner is a legitimate reporter, and the LA Times is a legitimate newspaper. You should probably not make so much of an effort to look stupid in the future.

Let's try some logic.

Does it make any sense for Ainge to leak this?

How would any non-Philly, non-Boston executives know about this?

If Philly leaked it, why would they?

I'm not saying discussions didn't happen but if you think various agendas aren't involved in this story getting out, you are the stupid one.

Mike

Offline Daddy Pinto

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2

Agreed.

League executives also said the Celtics were trying to move up in the draft, using their two first-round picks and two second-round picks as bait.

The executives said the Celtics were looking to trade point guard Marcus Smart and the Nos. 16 and 28 picks in the first round to Philadelphia for center/forward Nerlens Noel and the No. 3 pick. But the 76ers, the executives said, weren't interested.

Executives said teams with multiple picks are trying to trade some of them and move up in the draft. The 76ers, for instance, have six draft picks — one in the first round and five in the second round, Nos. 35, 37, 47, 58 and 60 — and may look to package some of those or even sell a few of them.

Broderick Turner is a legitimate reporter, and the LA Times is a legitimate newspaper. You should probably not make so much of an effort to look stupid in the future.

Let's try some logic.

I'm not saying discussions didn't happen but if you think various agendas aren't involved in this story getting out, you are the stupid one.

Mike

Took the words right out of my mouth. TP.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah Smart + 16 + 28 is probably a fairly tough sell for Noel alone, unless Philly really likes Smart.  For Noel + 3 would be ridiculous.  Could've been an initial offer to try and sweeten the deal if they show at least a little interest, though. 

I am wondering if Philly leaked this because they are interested in offers for Noel and/or #3 and want to set the market.  Our front office seems to rarely make off-the-record leaks (who knows, though) and it wouldn't make much sense to leak that another team shot us down.

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Don't believe this one,   but is Noel any good?   Didn't pay much attention to his year.

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Agreed.

You mad, Bro(derick Turner)?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I don't know if this is real or agendas or what but if real, not surprised Philly declined (obviously) but also I guess I am not smart enough to understand what agenda is being advanced by this leaking out.

But another thing that this got me thinking is maybe Philly called and asked about Smart for Noel because they think they might be able to draft Okafor or they intend to take a chance on Porzingis (then DA said OK if you throw in #3 and so on).

Who would trade Smart for Noel straight up?  I will go on the record and say I would not.  I think they are pretty even value players and I know more about Smart than Noel so I feel there is more risk with Noel than Smart.

My second question is would you trade Smart straight up for the #3 pick?  I assume most would but even that trade has risk.  You just don't know with rookies, especially if you end up with someone like Porzingis.

Anyway, that is my guess as to how this thing got started, Philly wanted Smart.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't know if this is real or agendas or what but if real, not surprised Philly declined (obviously) but also I guess I am not smart enough to understand what agenda is being advanced by this leaking out.

It's total speculation of course, but if you wanted to explore trading Noel and/or #3, leaking an offer you turned down is a good way of telling other teams "we're willing to talk about these guys BUT you need to at least beat this to have any chance".  It's setting a market for your assets. 

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Anyway, that is my guess as to how this thing got started, Philly wanted Smart.

I'm sure Philly would take Marcus Smart. But the garbage offer rumored is pretty clearly coming from the Celtics, because it's a joke.

And TBH, I think Nerlens' trade value is probably a bit higher than Smart's after each of them closed the season trending in different directions on their weaknesses. 

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

It's total speculation of course, but if you wanted to explore trading Noel and/or #3, leaking an offer you turned down is a good way of telling other teams "we're willing to talk about these guys BUT you need to at least beat this to have any chance".  It's setting a market for your assets.

Who knows but why would Philly want to leak such a low ball offer if their plan was to get the highest value for him.  They could just do a generic "Sixers are shopping Noel" leak, or "Boston offered Smart and picks in a possible deal for Noel".  I don't think it would be all that hard to drum up interest in Noel.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Mike

Insiders have agendas, reporters want to get potentially interesting information out with their byline on the report.

That's how this stuff works.  Doesn't mean the report is silly, or baseless. 

So yes, you look stupid if you deride a legitimate reporter, in an off-hand way, because you think there's an agenda involved, because of course there is.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Agreed.

Let's try some logic.

Mike

That's not what I said at all. But, please, I eagerly await you telling me how this industry works, again, since you were so informative this time last year during the Jackie Mac and Rondo thing.  ;D

I would not be surprised, for example, if Turner had been told by one of the Buss family that Philly had turned down Boston's offer, and what Boston was offering for the #3 pick. Any time a team shows an interest in moving a pick they play the field and these sort of things get put up against each other... and then everyone denies it and says "LOL REPORTERS MAKING THINGS UP DON'T TRUST SOURCES." This is how the game is played.

However, and more generally, Pho has done a great job explaining exactly why those two posters look like children who have wandered into the middle of a movie and are complaining that it doesn't make sense. They lack context.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:04:42 PM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Makes sense if C's want to draft Russell and have Noel be there Center of the future. Philly will need more because they only get one true piece in Smart while they give up two. Now if this was 16, 28 and Brooklyn pick then I think Philly would consider it.