Author Topic: Olynyk for Embiid  (Read 10219 times)

Olynyk for Embiid
« on: June 22, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Would it be worth trading Kelly O for a shot at a healthy Embiid? Or is Embiid simply an injury risk, and nothing more? Would Philadelphia make the deal? You have to admit, Olynyk and Noel would be a beautiful PF/C combination, with Kelly stretching defenses, and Noel cleaning up the glass...

Re: Olynyk for Embiid
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Would it be worth trading Kelly O for a shot at a healthy Embiid? Or is Embiid simply an injury risk, and nothing more? Would Philadelphia make the deal? You have to admit, Olynyk and Noel would be a beautiful PF/C combination, with Kelly stretching defenses, and Noel cleaning up the glass...

No way, not to me.  They aren't saying when Embiid is going to play and possibly sitting out 2 years....   

"According to Philadelphia Inquirer's Keith Pompey, there's a "legitimate chance" that Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid could miss the entire 2015-16 season after suffering an injury setback."

http://articles.philly.com/2015-06-16/sports/63452379_1_joel-embiid-nba-source-sixers

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
He's very injury prone, but his talent and potential might be worth the risk.

Philly will most likely say no though

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
lol

I genuinely believe that if you offered the 76ers a a package of Marcus Smart, #16 and #28 for Embiid, they'd say no.  I've already gone into my reasons for why in the other Embiid threads.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Sam Hinkie is only interested in stars. He traded away Michael Carter Williams after he won Rookie of the Year because he felt that he had a limited ceiling. If Embiid can't play for two years, he will wait it out and continue to stink and pick at the top of the draft. He's probably going to add either Russell or Porzingis to his collection of potential future stars. They have Noel and Saric will be here someday. A rotation guy like Olynyk doesn't even register on his radar.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think so, because Philadelphia's plan is to be a good team, eventually. Olynyk doesn't feature into that equation.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:28:20 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I don't think so, because Philadelphia's plan is to be a good team, eventually. Olynyk doesn't feature into that equation.

Man, that's a low blow at Kelly. 

Personally, I can think of a lot of equations where Kelly helps a team be good, and I'm hoping he remains a big part of that equation for the Boston Celtics. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »

Offline CelticRob

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Why would trade Olynyk for Embiid when Embiid will probably be a bust because of his foot problems. How many athletes ever heal from the injuries that Embiid has at a young age and gone on to have long healthy NBA careers. This is all moot anyway because even if Philly was interested in your trade Ainge would never do because it would be too risky. Ainge will cash in some of his chips for players who don't have Embiid's injury history.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Why wouldn't they just draft Porzingis if they wanted that?

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Sam Hinkie is only interested in stars. He traded away Michael Carter Williams after he won Rookie of the Year because he felt that he had a limited ceiling. If Embiid can't play for two years, he will wait it out and continue to stink and pick at the top of the draft. He's probably going to add either Russell or Porzingis to his collection of potential future stars. They have Noel and Saric will be here someday. A rotation guy like Olynyk doesn't even register on his radar.
I'm not even sure a defensive roleplayer like Marcus Smart registers on his radar.  He picked Embiid #3 in spite of him being a year away from returning.   Teams tried trading up... he wasn't interested.

A couple weeks ago if you were to ask anyone in the 76ers organization how Embiid was doing, they'd say he was looking explosive and dominant.  He had been playing basketball for a couple months and aggressively working out without any pain.   In early June they said he would definitely be playing in summer league.    A routine check-up revealed that his injury was not yet fully healed.   Everyone lost their minds.   The team hasn't even ruled him out of summer league yet (which is a couple weeks from now).    The team has brought in 3 more doctors to look at Embiid.  Pessimists say it's because they need 3 doctors to fix him.   Optimists will say its' because they want all the expert opinions they can get before deciding whether summer league is worth the risk.   

There's two camps right now.  Neither side has any idea if they are right.   It's all purely speculative.  The team has merely said he hasn't healed as fast as they hoped.  Multiple sources have confirmed that Embiid hasn't re-injured anything.  Multiple sources have confirmed that nothing forced the check-up... it was just a routine one that was on the schedule.  Two camps with two very different interpretations of what "not healing as fast as we hoped" means:

#1 - Some people think "not healed as fast" means that it has healed improperly.  They have no evidence to support this... just some media spin citing "NBA Sources" who claim Embiid "could" miss the next season.  They expect that three doctors are being brought in to evaluate whether Embiid needs a second surgery.

#2 - Some people think it means that the injury (which can take a year to heal) hasn't fully healed yet despite the fact it's literally been 1 year since his surgery.  They believe this means the bone is probably fine, but the soft tissue surrounding it might not be fully filled in yet.   This would explain why Embiid could feel no pain and be ready to go, but a "check up" gave them pause.   Basically, if the supporting tissue isn't there it could put him at a greater risk of reinjury.   They believe doctors are being brought in to decide if it's best to let him rest longer (season is 4 months away) or if there's anything he can do to speed up healing.    Evidence for such a theory:  "hasn't healed as fast" could mean exactly what they are saying... it hasn't healed as fast as they hoped.  If he was 100% right now, he'd be gearing up for Summer league.  If he's 95%, it might give them pause.   Comments from the team seem to support this theory (they want to make sure he's healthy long-term).  The team put him in a walking boot, which seems to back up what doctors typically do in this scenario... give it rest and hope it heals more.  Bill Self claimed this is exactly what the team is doing... having Embiid slow down his aggressive workouts with hopes that it will heal more under less aggressive training.

If you're in camp 1, maybe you assume that Embiid is further away from playing than when they selected him.  In that case, I guess you would believe that Embiid can be had for less than he was worth a year ago.

If you're in camp 2... Embiid is much closer to playing than he was last year.  His value logically shouldn't be less.  If there's a good chance he'll play opening night, why would he be worth less than he was last season?  I'm in camp 2.  My guess is that Philly is also in camp 2.   If you're in camp 2, it's nonsensical for you to take LESS for Embiid than you would have a year ago.    That not only rules out this silly Olynyk idea, but it also probably rules out Smart + #16 + #26.  Why?  Because they wouldn't have taken that a year ago and that was when the guys at #6 (Smart, Randle, Vonleh) had considerably more trade value than they do right now.  All three of those guys had underwhelming rookie seasons.    I really like Smart, but I figured he'd be a 15, 5 and 5 guy out of the gate.  He averaged 8, 3 and 3.  His trade value has dropped.  Embiid's should arguably be higher than it was last year.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:46:03 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 02:36:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be
Straight up?  Philly would laugh at that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
All three doctors said his foot was practically spaghetti at this point. Hopefully they have insurance to cover it.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 02:45:54 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
It's interesting how divided opinion is. One side doesn't want him. The other side seems to think there is no way Philly would give him up. The side that seems to think Philly won't give him up is focused on the proclivities of the GM - not on the talent of the player.

...makes you wonder whether Hinkie knows what he is doing.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
I'm not even sure a defensive roleplayer like Marcus Smart registers on his radar.  He picked Embiid #3 in spite of him being a year away from returning.   Teams tried trading up... he wasn't interested.

A couple weeks ago if you were to ask anyone in the 76ers organization how Embiid was doing, they'd say he was looking explosive and dominant.  He had been playing basketball for a couple months and aggressively working out without any pain.   In early June they said he would definitely be playing in summer league.    A routine check-up revealed that his injury was not yet fully healed.   Everyone lost their minds.   The team hasn't even ruled him out of summer league yet (which is a couple weeks from now).    The team has brought in 3 more doctors to look at Embiid.  Pessimists say it's because they need 3 doctors to fix him.   Optimists will say its' because they want all the expert opinions they can get before deciding whether summer league is worth the risk.   

There's two camps right now.  Neither side has any idea if they are right.   It's all purely speculative.  The team has merely said he hasn't healed as fast as they hoped.  Multiple sources have confirmed that Embiid hasn't re-injured anything.  Multiple sources have confirmed that nothing forced the check-up... it was just a routine one that was on the schedule.  Two camps with two very different interpretations of what "not healing as fast as we hoped" means:

#1 - Some people think "not healed as fast" means that it has healed improperly.  They have no evidence to support this... just some media spin citing "NBA Sources" who claim Embiid "could" miss the next season.  They expect that three doctors are being brought in to evaluate whether Embiid needs a second surgery.

#2 - Some people think it means that the injury (which can take a year to heal) hasn't fully healed yet despite the fact it's literally been 1 year since his surgery.  They believe this means the bone is probably fine, but the soft tissue surrounding it might not be fully filled in yet.  Basically, if the supporting tissue isn't there it could put him at a greater risk of reinjury.   They believe doctors are being brought in to decide if it's best to let him rest longer (season is 4 months away) or if there's anything he can do to speed up healing.    Evidence for such a theory:  "hasn't healed as fast" could mean exactly what they are saying... it hasn't healed as fast as they hoped.  If he was 100% right now, he'd be gearing up for Summer league.  If he's 95%, it might give them pause.   Comments from the team seem to support this theory (they want to make sure he's healthy long-term).  The team put him in a walking boot, which seems to back up what doctors typically do in this scenario... give it rest and hope it heals more.  Bill Self claimed this is exactly what the team is doing... having Embiid slow down his aggressive workouts with hopes that it will heal more under less aggressive training.

If you're in camp 1, maybe you assume that Embiid is further away from playing than when they selected him.  In that case, I guess you would believe that Embiid can be had for less than he was worth a year ago.

If you're in camp 2... Embiid is much closer to playing than he was last year.  His value logically shouldn't be less.  If there's a good chance he'll play opening night, why would he be worth less than he was last season?  I'm in camp 2.  My guess is that Philly is also in camp 2.   If you're in camp 2, it's nonsensical for you to take LESS for Embiid than you would have a year ago.    That not only rules out this silly Olynyk idea, but it also probably rules out Smart + #16 + #26.  Why?  Because they wouldn't have taken that a year ago and that was when the guys at #6 (Smart, Randle, Vonleh) had considerably more trade value than they do right now.  All three of those guys had underwhelming rookie seasons.    I really like Smart, but I figured he'd be a 15, 5 and 5 guy out of the gate.  He averaged 8, 3 and 3.  His trade value has dropped.  Embiid's should arguably be higher than it was last year.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
It's interesting how divided opinion is. One side doesn't want him. The other side seems to think there is no way Philly would give him up. The side that seems to think Philly won't give him up is focused on the proclivities of the GM - not on the talent of the player.

...makes you wonder whether Hinkie knows what he is doing.
Team has said they'll have a better idea of the Embiid situation in two weeks... which is after the draft and before summer league.  So in two weeks, I could be eating major crow.

Thing is, what fans on this forum think has very little to do with what Philly thinks.  You can buy into the injury hysteria and think Embiid is worthless... but until something concrete comes out, that hysteria is just hysteria.  We don't know if Philly is buying into that media hysteria.  I'd take a wild guess that they have a better idea of what's going on with Embiid than we do.  So if they know the recent news is overblown, why would they panic?  Lol

My guess:  They opt to have him skip summer league and get him prepped to go on opening night of the real season.   

If he shows up in Summer league and dominates... this entire conversation becomes irrelevant.