Author Topic: Targets: Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, Wesley Matthews, DAnny Green, Gerald Green  (Read 10896 times)

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
Al Jefferson:

Would be a good fit at center for the Celtics. But, has missed a fair amount of time in 3 out of the past 4 seasons.  Is also a hi-tier max (~$22M).  Would he settled for the mid-tier ($18-19M?) or even low tier max ($16M).  If yes he is worth pursuing.

Paul Millsap:

What Celtics hope Sullinger will be.  An undersized, yet consistent force.  Can give you 16/7+/3 and hit 3's at 35%.  Is he worth a mid-tier max? Probably.  But is Millsap the player you want to spend your cap space on.  In my opinion he a very good complimentary piece and not a #1 player.  Pass if requires max ($18-19M) or near max.

Wesley Matthews: 

Coming off a season ending achilles injury.  A SG with size that has made over 39% of 3PT for his career. If his recovery is on track, can he be had for approximately $10M?

Danny Green:

A wing player with good size coming into his own. A career 42% shooter from behind the arc. A low-tier max unrestricted FA.  For $11-13M he may be a worthwhile investment. But for that money there will a long line of suitors.  Is he worth the max ($16M) not in my opinion.

Gerald Green:

Another wing with size that hits the 3PT at a good rate, not as good the D Green or W Matthews. Weak rebounder and passer, but then again also cheaper. Probably can be had for MLE value.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:55:12 PM by bcgenuis »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I really like Millsap and would happily give him the max.  He would be my #1 target.  I rate him as a better choice for the Celtics than Lamarcus Aldridge.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
I like Jefferson, would love to bring him back to the Cs, but his injuries are a huge concern to me, he wouldn't be one of my top targets.

Pass on Millsap.

Pass on Danny Green.

Gerald Green is an interesting proposition, I'd welcome him, probably would be fairly cheap considering the rest of what's out there.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Millsap/Jefferson frontcourt combo wasn't particularly successful when they were in Utah, I doubt that would change now.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The Millsap/Jefferson frontcourt combo wasn't particularly successful when they were in Utah, I doubt that would change now.

I had my doubters when I said Millsap>Jefferson back then.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Milsap - Yes

I might consider Matthews, but Achilles injuries are tough.

Everybody else - No.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2434
No interest in Wes Matthews or Danny Green. High priced role players. Not too old but not young either. I'd rather look for younger alternatives to these players.

No interest in Al Jefferson. Bad defender. Too expensive. Wrong side of 30.

Paul Millsap = semi-interested. I'd prefer to go after younger up and coming star talent over Millsap. He's a guy I like more if another good piece was in place first. Also, wrong side of 30. Boston still a long ways from competing. If another domino fell into place first, I'd get interested in hurry but only lukewarm interest at the moment.

I am interested in Gerald Green as a backup SF/SG. It would be nice to have a shooter off the bench at SF next year if Jae Crowder (or Evan Turner) returns as starting SF. It was a limiting factor to Celtics offense that none of their main SFs could make outside shots. Gerald Green would provide good contrast to Celtics bench.

If Boston were to sign a top FA SF like Middleton or T.Harris, there would be no use for Gerald Green. I'd rather keep Jae Crowder as backup SF over G.Green. It's only if the starting SF was a poor shooter. Then Gerald Green is an interesting fit roster wise. Should be cost-effective.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
No interest in Wes Matthews or Danny Green. High priced role players. Not too old but not young either. I'd rather look for younger alternatives to these players.

No interest in Al Jefferson. Bad defender. Too expensive. Wrong side of 30.

I am interested in Gerald Green as a backup SF/SG. It would be nice to have a shooter off the bench at SF next year if Jae Crowder (or Evan Turner) returns as starting SF. It was a limiting factor to Celtics offense that none of their main SFs could make outside shots. Gerald Green would provide good contrast to Celtics bench.

If Boston were to sign a top FA SF like Middleton or T.Harris, there would be no use for Gerald Green. I'd rather keep Jae Crowder as backup SF over G.Green. It's only if the starting SF was a poor shooter. Then Gerald Green is an interesting fit roster wise.
Before Wes Matthews got hurt he lead the nba in 3 point shots made while playing excellent defense, he's not a role player. Had he not gotten hurt he would be considerably more sought after than Middleton or Harris (and better paid)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Not a big fan of these types of B+ players on the verge of being overpaid.  I'd prefer someone like Wes Johnson over Mathews or Green. 

I like his defensive ability to guard 1-4 and improved 3pt shot.  Byron Scott's 1990's era system has done quite well to undervalue Johnson-- very well could end up being a player of the same ilk as a Mathews or Green at a fraction of the price. 

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
Al Jefferson:

Would be a good fit at center for the Celtics. But, has missed a fair amount of time in 3 out of the past 4 seasons.  Is also a hi-tier max (~$22M).  Would he settled for the mid-tier ($18-19M?) or even low tier max ($16M).  If yes he is worth pursuing.

Paul Millsap:

What Celtics hope Sullinger will be.  An undersized, yet consistent force.  Can give you 16/7+/3 and hit 3's at 35%.  Is he worth a mid-tier max? Probably.  But is Millsap the player you want to spend your cap space on.  In my opinion he a very good complimentary piece and not a #1 player.  Pass if requires max ($18-19M) or near max.

Wesley Matthews: 

Coming off a season ending achilles injury.  A SG with size that has made over 39% of 3PT for his career. If his recovery is on track, can he be had for approximately $10M?

Danny Green:

A wing player with good size coming into his own. A career 42% shooter from behind the arc. A low-tier max unrestricted FA.  For $11-13M he may be a worthwhile investment. But for that money there will a long line of suitors.  Is he worth the max ($16M) not in my opinion.

Gerald Green:

Another wing with size that hits the 3PT at a good rate, not as good the D Green or W Matthews. Weak rebounder and passer, but then again also cheaper. Probably can be had for MLE value.

Your thoughts?

I feel any FA signing can only be judged with the moves that accompany them.

Big Al, I would have to say pass based on injury concerns. However on a shorter or discounted deal I would love to see him back in Green but thats highly unlikely.

Milsap, I would be in favor of this trade if a legit center was also brought in and Sully was ok coming off the bench. Say the Cs trade Wallace and KO for Hibbert then move Sully to the bench. This would give the Cs the ability to play long stretches of Sully and Milsap (essentially tryig to mimic the hordorf/ milsap dynamic) while starting Hibbert and playing him around 25mpg.

Matthews/D Green, I like both as a high usage bench wing to replace crowder but only if the starting SF is capable of playing small ball PF. My theoretical would be to sign Matthews or D Green, and Tobias Harris then trade away Turner and lose Crowder to FA. This would leave the Cs rotation looking something like the following.....

PG Smart 20 mpg , IT 28mpg
SG AB      30 mpg, Smart 12 mpg, Matthews 6mpg
SF Harris 25 mpg, Matthews 23mpg
PF Sully   30 mpg, Harris 10mpg, KO 8mpg
C  Zeller  25 mpg, KO 23mpg

Obviously this doesn't factor in the likely big man changes this roster should see. Namely the addition of some sort of rim protection. It does highlight my point that a high usage 2/3 could fit nicely with a starting 3/4. A lineup of IT, AB, Matthews, Harris and a defensive big could really be tough to guard.

G Green, if the top end of FA leaves the Cs with mostly high end role players and lacking offense Green may make some sense as a bench scoring option.     
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 03:23:19 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Al Jefferson:

Absolutely not a good fit at center. Slow, can't defend and over 30. A front court of Sully/Olynyk and Jefferson would give up 120 points a game.

Quote from: bcgenuis
Paul Millsap:

Good player, but a fairly marginal upgrade but again on the wrong side of 30. Any player who is over 30 is nothing more than a fill-in. By the time this team is ready to compete, older guys will be dead weight.

Wesley Matthews: 

Role player coming off an injury who may not even be ready before the season starts.

Danny Green:

Why? He's not worth $8m a year, never mind $16m.

Gerald Green:

Nay

Your thoughts?

These aren't the game changers we're looking for.

Move along.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Kawhi Leonard Jimmy Butler Demare Carroll

Lamarcus Aldridge Thaddeus Young Ed Davis

Deandre Jordan Am Jefferson

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Paul Millsap:

Good player, but a fairly marginal upgrade but again on the wrong side of 30. Any player who is over 30 is nothing more than a fill-in. By the time this team is ready to compete, older guys will be dead weight.

Lamarcus Aldridge is five months younger than Millsap and will be 30 when the season starts.  Marc Gasol is two weeks older than Millsap.  I place Millsap on the same tier as those players.  Signing any of those guys probably leaves the Celtics one high quality role-playing starter away from being a legitimate contender.

Would you say no to Gasol or Aldridge because of their age?

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Jefferson needs to be a $12mil/year type of guy for this team. I have no faith in his legs anymore, at least not to play a full season and playoffs.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Paul Millsap:

Lamarcus Aldridge is five months younger than Millsap and will be 30 when the season starts.  Marc Gasol is two weeks older than Millsap.  I place Millsap on the same tier as those players.  Signing any of those guys probably leaves the Celtics one high quality role-playing starter away from being a legitimate contender.

Would you say no to Gasol or Aldridge because of their age?

False equivalence. Gasol and Aldridge are better players, bigger players and play a position that's in much greater need.

Milsap is a 6'8" PF who averages 17/8. He's a minor upgrade from Sully, who is about the same size.

Gasol is a 7'1" C who averages 17/8. He's a huge upgrade from Zeller and is a significantly better defensive player.

Aldridge is a 6'11" F/C who averages 23/10. Milsap couldn't hold his jockstrap and is a huge upgrade at either PF or C.

I don't see Milsap as a game changer nor is he in the same class as the other two - talent-wise or position of need.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.