Author Topic: With the Celtics' and Clippers' picks I think the best we could realistically...  (Read 16234 times)

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If the Celtics believe Montrezl Harrell can play center, they should take him.

I'd love Malik Pope with the Clippers pick, as well. If he's really this good of a shooter and handler on the perimeter, he's going to be a stud wing.
I kind of agree with this. He's super long and can leap but I'm not impressed with his lateral quickness. I think he's more suited for the 5.
I do not agree about Harrell. IMO Cliff Alexander would be a smarter choice. Also Cliff could be a 2nd rounder. But they are both very similar physically.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
f the Celtics believe Montrezl Harrell can play center, they should take him.
  Only posters here think he can do it.   He is small for a PF, let alone C.

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
If we keep our picks, I hope we get Oubre and Caris Lavert. Realistic second choices include Turner with our pick and Malik Pope with the Clips. Here's why I think these guys are undervalued:

Oubre is a prototypical athletic scoring wing, and he has added a lot to his game over the course of the year. Defense is a perceived weakness, but I think he's become solid on that end. His ability to penetrate also looks better than advertised.

Turner is not an athlete, but his stats are so good that he must be compensating for it with smarts and feel (I haven't really watched him). Great block numbers to go with awesome efficiency, despite playing out of position at the 4 a lot on a poor-fit team.

Lavert looks like a complete package offensively. He can really shoot, beat people off the dribble, drive and dish. With his combo of handling/passing/shooting he looks like a great fit for motion, and he projects as a plus defender too.

Pope is a total mystery box, as he's barely played this season and I haven't seen him play at all. But his tools are off the charts. 6'10, long, very explosive, plus clear offensive skill (handles and 3pt shot). He is way behind development wise, as he missed 2 years of high school with injuries - he should probably stay in school, but if he doesn't, we can afford to be patient with a late 1st round pick.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Thankful that you folks are not our GM.  Some of these guys have really been all over the place in terms of performance.   Ainge usually takes a guy who can play over potential in the past.  If I was drafting some of these guys I think I would try to trade down because they still may be there.

I'm glad you brought up the "trade down" possibility, since I've also considered that.  My question is what we could get for a 15 and/or 24.  We could try to snag a later pick this year and one next year, I guess, but we're taking on a lot of inherent risk.  This question is probably a whole new thread...

Mike

Trading down is a possibility given the way the talent pool looks maybe the Cs and 76ers make something happen Cs could do a #15, #26, and #33 for #16 and #19 if the current standings hold
think the C's would be overpaying there.  swap out #33 for the later second rounder and I'd consider it depending on who's available that late that makes it worth moving up.  I really think the Clips pick will come at least a couple of picks sooner than #26.

???

You think the C's are overpaying when they move down 1 spot with the one pick and move up 7 spots with the other.

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If the Celtics believe Montrezl Harrell can play center, they should take him.

I'd love Malik Pope with the Clippers pick, as well. If he's really this good of a shooter and handler on the perimeter, he's going to be a stud wing.
I kind of agree with this. He's super long and can leap but I'm not impressed with his lateral quickness. I think he's more suited for the 5.
I do not agree about Harrell. IMO Cliff Alexander would be a smarter choice. Also Cliff could be a 2nd rounder. But they are both very similar physically.

Alexander looks bigger to me. Any comment on that?

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 744
could someone tell me, if the clippers and spurs both win out, will the clippers pick lose 3 spots (meaning clippers get to the second seed)?

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
So you're basically saying it's a lock that Danny drafts him.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I'd probably take Kevon Looney or Bobby Portis with our pick and Caris Lavert, RJ Hunter or Christian Wood with the Clips Pick.

With the second rounder I've said it before I find Rashad Vaughn to be very undervalued in this draft class. I also think Dakari Johnson can be a bigger better Kendrick Perkins, Terry Rozier would be worth a flier and CJ McCollough may be another prospect that's likely fallen a bit too far out of favor due to out of sight out of mind caused by the injuries, he looked like a first round lock for stretches this year.

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Agreed, he's clearly a 3-4 tweener type.  Maybe someday he could dream of being Shawn Marion, or someone like that.  No way he can play center in the NBA. 

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
 I actually love the Clippers' pick and 76ers' pick because there are some prospects that are intriguing and we could move up in the lottery with those picks.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - Hands down the best perimeter defender in the draft (can guard 1-4), he's a capable shot blocker and he can steal the ball. He's not a good shooter but I think he will improve his shot due to his tremendous work ethic. Great rebounder. He has a very good motor and intensity. He's 6'7" 225 pounds (7'1" wingspan) with elite athleticism and strong enough. Underrated offensively because he's goes to the line  lot, likes to have contact, good passer and his handles are good enough for a SF. Can play the 4 in a small lineup. Reminds me of Satch Sanders and Gerald Wallace. If he develop a decent jump shot, he'll definitely be a steal. He has an attitude of a Celtic.

Caris LeVert - Injury prevented him from being higher in the draft. Very good size for a combo guard (6'7" with 7'1" wingspan) and his first step is very good. Very versatile player can play 1-3 even though  he will have to bulk up to play the 3. Solid defender. He can play on the ball (excellent ball handler and passer) and off ball (3pt shooter 40 % fresh. and soph. year). Can create his own shot and for others. He is a nice complementary player and he could be even more if he tries to attack the rim more.

Christian Wood - He is a project  high risk/high reward type of player. Excellent size 6'11" and athleticism for a 4/5. He can handle the ball well for a man of its size. Above the rim type of player. He is a capable shooter from three and his shot difficult to block due to size and wingspan. Great shot blocker due to his long arms. His ceiling is very high if he bulks up. He's willing to battle inside but he's not very good at it at the moment due to his skinny frame. Sometimes, he likes to fall in love with his jump shot instead of attacking the rim. He will take a while to be developed but he might pay off in the long twem  Reminds me of John Henson with a higher ceiling.

Kelly Oubre - http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77305.0 I will add that he might take 2-3 years to develop but I think he's worth waiting for that time. He might be available in our range with our first pick.

They all fit in our system and they can all be steals.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Pope's staying and LeVert maybe too.

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I actually love the Clippers' pick and 76ers' pick because there are some prospects that are intriguing and we could move up in the lottery with those picks.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - Hands down the best perimeter defender in the draft (can guard 1-4), he's a capable shot blocker and he can steal the ball. He's not a good shooter but I think he will improve his shot due to his tremendous work ethic. Great rebounder. He has a very good motor and intensity. He's 6'7" 225 pounds (7'1" wingspan) with elite athleticism and strong enough. Underrated offensively because he's goes to the line  lot, likes to have contact, good passer and his handles are good enough for a SF. Can play the 4 in a small lineup. Reminds me of Satch Sanders and Gerald Wallace. If he develop a decent jump shot, he'll definitely be a steal. He has an attitude of a Celtic.

Caris LeVert - Injury prevented him from being higher in the draft. Very good size for a combo guard (6'7" with 7'1" wingspan) and his first step is very good. Very versatile player can play 1-3 even though  he will have to bulk up to play the 3. Solid defender. He can play on the ball (excellent ball handler and passer) and off ball (3pt shooter 40 % fresh. and soph. year). Can create his own shot and for others. He is a nice complementary player and he could be even more if he tries to attack the rim more.

Christian Wood - He is a project  high risk/high reward type of player. Excellent size 6'11" and athleticism for a 4/5. He can handle the ball well for a man of its size. Above the rim type of player. He is a capable shooter from three and his shot difficult to block due to size and wingspan. Great shot blocker due to his long arms. His ceiling is very high if he bulks up. He's willing to battle inside but he's not very good at it at the moment due to his skinny frame. Sometimes, he likes to fall in love with his jump shot instead of attacking the rim. He will take a while to be developed but he might pay off in the long twem  Reminds me of John Henson with a higher ceiling.

Kelly Oubre - http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77305.0 I will add that he might take 2-3 years to develop but I think he's worth waiting for that time. He might be available in our range with our first pick.

RHJ with the Clips pick would be perfect. I like your description and the Wallace comparison.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36

Christian Wood - He is a project  high risk/high reward type of player. Excellent size 6'11" and athleticism for a 4/5. He can handle the ball well for a man of its size. Above the rim type of player. He is a capable shooter from three and his shot difficult to block due to size and wingspan. Great shot blocker due to his long arms. His ceiling is very high if he bulks up. He's willing to battle inside but he's not very good at it at the moment due to his skinny frame. Sometimes, he likes to fall in love with his jump shot instead of attacking the rim. He will take a while to be developed but he might pay off in the long term. Reminds me of John Henson with a higher ceiling.

RHJ with the Clips pick would be perfect. I like your description and the Wallace comparison.

RHJ and Wallace are so similar. Similar body (6'7", 220 pounds with long arms over 7 ft long and chiseled frame ) and similar skillets.
Both are very athletic with excellent combination of quickness, strength, leaping ability and explosiveness. Both thrive in transition and get a lot of points by pure hustle. Both can handle the ball adequately. Both have broken jump shots. Both are lock down defenders and show versatility in guarding 1 through 4. Both are 3s who can play the 4. Both are great rebounders. Both are good passers. Both can get out of control sometimes. I think that RHJ has the tools to bother many of the premier 2s,3s and 4s like Crash did. He would be good to see RHJ be mentored by Wallace as it would be perfect to his development due to similar skills.
 RHJ reminds me of Satch Sanders (I don't know him very well as I am too young, but I researched him and he's one of my favorite Celtic) as well because they both sacrifice scoring as there are better options (Gordon and Nick Johnson last year, this year Stanley Johnson) on their teams so their jobs is to rebound and defend first. Both can defend inside out in an excellent way.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Christian Wood - He is a project  high risk/high reward type of player. Excellent size 6'11" and athleticism for a 4/5. He can handle the ball well for a man of its size. Above the rim type of player. He is a capable shooter from three and his shot difficult to block due to size and wingspan. Great shot blocker due to his long arms. His ceiling is very high if he bulks up. He's willing to battle inside but he's not very good at it at the moment due to his skinny frame. Sometimes, he likes to fall in love with his jump shot instead of attacking the rim. He will take a while to be developed but he might pay off in the long term. Reminds me of John Henson with a higher ceiling.

RHJ and Wallace are so similar. Similar body (6'7", 220 pounds with long arms over 7 ft long and chiseled frame ) and similar skillets.
Both are very athletic with excellent combination of quickness, strength, leaping ability and explosiveness. Both thrive in transition and get a lot of points by pure hustle. Both can handle the ball adequately. Both have broken jump shots. Both are lock down defenders and show versatility in guarding 1 through 4. Both are 3s who can play the 4. Both are great rebounders. Both are good passers. Both can get out of control sometimes. I think that RHJ has the tools to bother many of the premier 2s,3s and 4s like Crash did. He would be good to see RHJ be mentored by Wallace as it would be perfect to his development due to similar skills.
 RHJ reminds me of Satch Sanders (I don't know him very well as I am too young, but I researched him and he's one of my favorite Celtic) as well because they both sacrifice scoring as there are better options (Gordon and Nick Johnson last year, this year Stanley Johnson) on their teams so their jobs is to rebound and defend first. Both can defend inside out in an excellent way.

Sounds like a guy the C's should be able to re-sign in Jae Crowder. IMO the C's have enough of defensive guys with questionable shooting. Unless it's a hefty rim protector for the 5, the C's need shooting with any top picks.