Author Topic: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball  (Read 34088 times)

Re: Larry Sanders...Why I quit Basketball
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
He can afford to be crazy and FIND HIMSElf. Or what ever hippy trip he needs to deal with....he can go hide ....meditate .....do off the wall stuff

The rest of us have to carry our problems on our shoulders .......

March on every day to do our jobs and collect our checks

I don't feel sorry for him. In the least .

Count your blessings that you don't suffer from depression and are able to carry your problems on your shoulders, do your job and collect your check.

The part that you don't understand is that not everybody is like you.  If you think that dealing with everyday problems in life is the same as dealing with depression, then you are sadly mistaken.
You sure assume to know a lot about people's "everyday problems", don't you?

You sure assume to know a lot about people's depression, dont you?
I sure know there are folks dealing with depression who don't have the luxury of quitting their jobs and receiving millions of dollars while they're trying to "figure it out".

So why begrudge someone who does have that luxury? Why are we critical of a decision he made that most of us would likely make if in a similar position?

As someone said earlier, it seems unlikely that a number of things would have happened, including the Bucks pursuing a buyout, if his depression wasn't legitimate. I just can't understand questioning, scrutinizing or resenting the decision to take money given to him by a hundred-million dollar organization owned by billionaires while he treats a serious issue instead of "playing through it" ("like a man," as many here seem to have said or implied) and compounding its risks (with the potential to trigger suicidal thoughts and ultimately suicide).

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2015, 04:05:16 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
He can afford to be crazy and FIND HIMSElf. Or what ever hippy trip he needs to deal with....he can go hide ....meditate .....do off the wall stuff

Count your blessings that you don't suffer from depression and are able to carry your problems on your shoulders, do your job and collect your check.

The part that you don't understand is that not everybody is like you.  If you think that dealing with everyday problems in life is the same as dealing with depression, then you are sadly mistaken.
You sure assume to know a lot about people's "everyday problems", don't you?

You sure assume to know a lot about people's depression, dont you?
I sure know there are folks dealing with depression who don't have the luxury of quitting their jobs and receiving millions of dollars while they're trying to "figure it out".

I agree with you to some extent.  The fact that Sanders is rich is an obvious advantage but it isn't a cure-all either.  I don't know Sanders personally so I can't say if his quitting is legit or not.  I acknowledge that he may be milking the system (because he can).  But, he could also be is such bad shape mentally that he truly can't do it anymore.  I don't know that the truth is (other than it's Paul Pierce) but neither does anyone else.   

We can go round-and-round forever on this but I prefer not to.  It was a good debate and there were some good points brought up on both sides of the argument.  Contrary to what some may think, I'm not trying to provide life lessons or a depression education course.  It is obviously a touchy subject with me for personal reasons.   

Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

But then again, you don't know anything about Shaqattack outside of these posts or the true mental state of Larry Sanders. Perhaps you and the rest of Sanders' white knights should cool it with the life lessons you're teaching the posters skeptical of Sanders ailments in this thread.

Are you Shaqattack's lawyer?  I never claimed to know Shaqattack personally...it's irrelevant.  He posted an opinion and I posted an opinion...nothing more, nothing less.  And I don't care if you or anyone else agrees with it.  It's a conversation.  I'm not defending Sanders specifically because I don't know his mental state, but I think a lot of people are being naive about depression.

This isn't really directed solely at you, but I'm just tired of the overall tone of the posters sympathetic to Sanders in this thread. 90% of the posts have this " You have a lot of growing up to do you ignorant monster" feel to them, despite them not really knowing what they're talking about either in regards to Sanders' specific case. They also don't know anything about the life history of anyone they're arguing with, but it hasn't stopped them from dropping knowledge in the most condescending ways imaginable.

I'm not inside the guy's head either. All I know is he quit his job and got a fortune anyways. That isn't up for argument. Regardless of his mental condition, I don't see anything admirable about what this guy has done.

Edit: And just to reiterate Jonny CC, this is more aimed at the majority of Sanders sympathizers, you were just the most recent poster in the thread.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:15:55 PM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2015, 04:14:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So why begrudge someone who does have that luxury? Why are we critical of a decision he made that most of us would likely make if in a similar position?
I'm not begrudging the decision. He's doing business the way business is being done.

What I have a problem with is him sitting there and giving everyone the whole "I'm a person, too" spiel.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm not inside the guy's head either. All I know is he quit his job and got a fortune anyways. That isn't up for argument. Regardless of his mental condition, I don't see anything admirable about what this guy has done.

Edit: And just to reiterate Jonny CC, this is more aimed at the majority of Sanders sympathizers, you were just the most recent poster in the thread.

Ah, so basically you don't think Sanders deserves the money that the Bucks are paying him because it offends your sense of fairness and/or equity in regards to how employment should work?

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2015, 04:18:53 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

But then again, you don't know anything about Shaqattack outside of these posts or the true mental state of Larry Sanders. Perhaps you and the rest of Sanders' white knights should cool it with the life lessons you're teaching the posters skeptical of Sanders ailments in this thread.

Are you Shaqattack's lawyer?  I never claimed to know Shaqattack personally...it's irrelevant.  He posted an opinion and I posted an opinion...nothing more, nothing less.  And I don't care if you or anyone else agrees with it.  It's a conversation.  I'm not defending Sanders specifically because I don't know his mental state, but I think a lot of people are being naive about depression.

This isn't really directed solely at you, but I'm just tired of the overall tone of the posters sympathetic to Sanders in this thread. 90% of the posts have this " You have a lot of growing up to do you ignorant monster" feel to them, despite them not really knowing what they're talking about either in regards to Sanders' specific case. They also have no knowledge of the life history of anyone they're arguing with, but it hasn't stopped them from dropping knowledge in the most condescending ways imaginable.

No harm no foul.  I understand your point.  Nobody likes to be preached to. 
For the record, I never said that Sanders deserved applause or admiration.  That being said, I don't think he deserves scorn or resentment either.  My comments were about depression in general. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
how employment should work?
I always thought employment worked in a way where you get pay for services rendered. Silly me.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2015, 04:26:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I always thought employment worked in a way where you get pay for services rendered. Silly me.

How very idealistic of you to assume it works the same way for everyone.  :)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2015, 04:29:21 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Ah, so basically you don't think Sanders deserves the money that the Bucks are paying him because it offends your sense of fairness and/or equity in regards to how employment should work?

They should have done The Church Lady in the SNL40 reunion like LarBrd33 loosely suggested. That's the real crime in all of this. That's what I'm mad about. They found enough time for that 'Californians' abomination.

And to Jonny CC sorry if I came off angry or confrontational, I probably should stop short of suggesting people to "cool it" in the future. :)

« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
then you are obviously not a marxist.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm not begrudging the decision. He's doing business the way business is being done.

What I have a problem with is him sitting there and giving everyone the whole "I'm a person, too" spiel.

You are begrudging the decision. You are bitterly mocking his luxury as if those people you know with depression wouldn't do exactly what he has done if given the opportunity. That, or, you never meant for the implications of

to lead us to any other conclusion besides you being jealous.

Larry Sanders is good at basketball. He can't help that he could step on any city court, play a pickup game, and have professional scouts showing up to that court the next day hoping he shows up. Forgive Larry for not being able to differentiate something he enjoys from time to time from something he wants to commit the next 10-15 years of his life to in his early-to-mid-20s (known to college kids as "changing majors"). Begrudge the Bucks organization for giving a $40+ mil contract to a kid who has a history of emotional difficulty, struggle with authority, and dark upbringing (including hearing his own mother being beaten as a toddler, as someone previously detailed), if you must tightly grip onto your envy of Sanders. He's not guilty of any ethical missteps unless you'd like to argue that he should have honorably turned down the money the Bucks gave to him (and thus, again, assert that those people with depression you know would have done the same).

« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2015, 05:02:47 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

TP for the SNL reference in wake of it's 40th.

This one might apply too:

https://www.google.com/search?q=saturday+night+live+poster+I%27m+good+enough&biw=1024&bih=667&site=webhp&tbm=isch&imgil=810OFTmZVZGQQM%253A%253Bs08PcNtcsyLVQM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.amazon.com%25252FGood-Enough-Smart-Doggone-People%25252Fdp%25252F0440504708&source=iu&pf=m&fir=810OFTmZVZGQQM%253A%252Cs08PcNtcsyLVQM%252C_&usg=__UtjobYoNtRxLFKnYOX9XE2Mk_W8%3D&ved=0CC4Qyjc&ei=OpfvVNjJDpfCsASD8oHYAg#imgdii=_&imgrc=Me0ZmZzPmyUunM%253A%3Bs08PcNtcsyLVQM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fecx.images-amazon.com%252Fimages%252FI%252F51M7NXVkPVL._SY344_BO1%252C204%252C203%252C200_.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.amazon.com%252FGood-Enough-Smart-Doggone-People%252Fdp%252F0440504708%3B235%3B346

« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He's not guilty of any ethical missteps unless you'd like to argue that he should have honorably turned down the money the Bucks gave to him (and thus, again, assert that those people with depression you know would have done the same).
I'd like to argue that when you're in a position to quit your job while retaining a good part of your pay, you probably shouldn't go on video giving everyone that huge "holier than thou" speech "explaining" your decision. So yeah, I'm going to bitterly mock anything I can bitterly mock about Larry Sanders. He walked right into that one himself.

« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2015, 05:10:36 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

They should have done The Church Lady in the SNL40 reunion like LarBrd33 loosely suggested. That's the real crime in all of this. That's what I'm mad about. They found enough time for that 'Californians' abomination.

And to Jonny CC sorry if I came off angry or confrontational, I probably should stop short of suggesting people to "cool it" in the future. :)

No need for an apology but thanks.  These discussions can go off the rails quickly. 

« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
He's not guilty of any ethical missteps unless you'd like to argue that he should have honorably turned down the money the Bucks gave to him (and thus, again, assert that those people with depression you know would have done the same).
I'd like to argue that when you're in a position to quit your job while retaining a good part of your pay, you probably shouldn't go on video giving everyone that huge "holier than thou" speech "explaining" your decision. So yeah, I'm going to bitterly mock anything I can bitterly mock about Larry Sanders. He walked right into that one himself.

Now you are sidestepping your initial rebuttal, essentially admitting that you are indeed begrudging his decision.