Author Topic: NBA Trade Deadline Watch  (Read 37528 times)

Re: NBA Trade Deadline Watch
« Reply #300 on: February 20, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 321
  • The Truth
can anyone please explain to me the 76ers GIVING away MCW for a worthless pick...
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
can anyone please explain to me the 76ers GIVING away MCW for a worthless pick...

A potential lottery pick this year, isn't it?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #302 on: February 20, 2015, 02:22:24 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • The Truth

protected through 1-7 or next year 1-5, it's apsurd IMHO

« Reply #303 on: February 20, 2015, 02:23:50 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

protected through 1-7 or next year 1-5, it's apsurd IMHO

According to RealGM, it's 1-5 this year.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

If the picks comes due this year, a good chance that the Sixers get a better prospect out of it than MCW.

« Reply #304 on: February 20, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1399

It would probably shock me about as much as anything I can imagine if the Lakers don't finish with a bottom 2 record to ensure they can't lose the pick. I am not an advocate of tanking at all, but sometimes it just makes sense within a certain point in the season. It is like sliding down to the ground when you have a game winning interception so you can't possibly lose.

If they keep their top 5 pick this year, next year they will have Randle, that top 5 pick, what ever Kobe has left and something like 25-30 million spent on new free agents. That means I think the pick ends up anywhere from 12-18 in 2016.

If you step back a bit from this you can see how this is really frustrating for a 76er fan and wonder how it makes sense. While a pick in 2016 that could be mid to late lottery is a nice asset, that rookie will be joining Noel in the final year of his rookie contract. You can't keep indefinitely kicking the can down the road on a rebuild. Eventually 76er's fans patience will run out, as will the players you have picked. I think it would go a long way for the 76ers organization if they traded this pick for a second or third year player (or even if they had gotten isiah thomas and a lower pick.

« Reply #305 on: February 20, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • The Truth

It would probably shock me about as much as anything I can imagine if the Lakers don't finish with a bottom 2 record to ensure they can't lose the pick. I am not an advocate of tanking at all, but sometimes it just makes sense within a certain point in the season. It is like sliding down to the ground when you have a game winning interception so you can't possibly lose.

If they keep their top 5 pick this year, next year they will have Randle, that top 5 pick, what ever Kobe has left and something like 25-30 million spent on new free agents. That means I think the pick ends up anywhere from 12-18 in 2016.

If you step back a bit from this you can see how this is really frustrating for a 76er fan and wonder how it makes sense. While a pick in 2016 that could be mid to late lottery is a nice asset, that rookie will be joining Noel in the final year of his rookie contract. You can't keep indefinitely kicking the can down the road on a rebuild. Eventually 76er's fans patience will run out, as will the players you have picked. I think it would go a long way for the 76ers organization if they traded this pick for a second or third year player (or even if they had gotten isiah thomas and a lower pick.
yeah, exactly my point of view, they must be steaming in philly. And please tell me how are they hoping to land a better prospect than MCW, the kid is ROY and as good as it gets for a young PG

« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Because he's not that good? He's a horrible scorer (16 points on 15 shots for career), can't shoot his way out of a paper bag, and his assist to turnover ratio is 1.6 to 1. The fact that he filled up the stat sheet on a horrible team in Philadelphia where he had the ball in his hands all the time is not a redeeming factor.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #307 on: February 20, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

yeah, exactly my point of view, they must be steaming in philly. And please tell me how are they hoping to land a better prospect than MCW, the kid is ROY and as good as it gets for a young PG

I am not as high as MCW as some, and I have pointed out his flaws in other threads, but I do believe he never had a chance in Philly. Nobody is going to look good trying to develop their playmaking skills throwing the ball to a bunch of a d leagues and one extremely limited offensive big (Noel). I think the Star really could come off Hinkie pretty soon. They have been terrible the last two seasons, they are terrible this season, barring a major trade and/or free agent signing they will be really bad next year also. So you are looking at 2016-2017 as the first time they may have their pieces start to come together, but at that point Noel and Embiid are becoming free agents.

« Reply #308 on: February 20, 2015, 02:36:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Sixers have been trying to move MCW since at least last year's draft.  Problem is, most of the front offices are savvy enough to know how much his raw numbers overrated his contributions, or just don't need a PG, so they couldn't get much value til they jumped in on the Bucks-Suns deal.

« Reply #309 on: February 20, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Because he's not that good? He's a horrible scorer (16 points on 15 shots for career), can't shoot his way out of a paper bag, and his assist to turnover ratio is 1.6 to 1. The fact that he filled up the stat sheet on a horrible team in Philadelphia where he had the ball in his hands all the time is not a redeeming factor.

these threads take on bizarre terms where i go from arguing MCW is not very good to arguing he isn't that horrible. Old friend Larbrd called him one of the best young players in the NBA and I pointed out his poor shooting, and ridiculous turnover ratio. On the flip side of it, do we have to admit there is just a little faith that he will look a lot better playing alongside NBA caliber players like Mayo, Middleton, "the greek freak", Irlesova and starting next year Jabari Parker?

« Reply #310 on: February 20, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Good point. Although I don't hold MCW in high esteem, you're right that the Lakers could tank fiercely enough to stay safely in the bottom 5, and then come back strong next year.

« Reply #311 on: February 20, 2015, 02:39:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

these threads take on bizarre terms where i go from arguing MCW is not very good to arguing he isn't that horrible. Old friend Larbrd called him one of the best young players in the NBA and I pointed out his poor shooting, and ridiculous turnover ratio. On the flip side of it, do we have to admit there is just a little faith that he will look a lot better playing alongside NBA caliber players like Mayo, Middleton, "the greek freak", Irlesova and starting next year Jabari Parker?

I'm optimistic Kidd can help MCW break some of his bad habits and settle into a more modest but more efficient role.  The better supporting cast will help too, and being in a culture that's actually trying to win basketball games every year can't hurt either.  His stats may overrate him but he's got great size and good tools, he just needs to learn how to play within his talents.

« Reply #312 on: February 20, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • The Truth
okay, i could understand that they were unhappy or not convinced that he's their cornerstone or atleast a good starter, but a better GM would get far more from him than a bunch of if's and maybe's

« Reply #313 on: February 20, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562
okay, i could understand that they were unhappy or not convinced that he's their cornerstone or atleast a good starter, but a better GM would get far more from him than a bunch of if's and maybe's
The Laker's pick is excellent return for MCW.  The Sixers were smart to trade MCW when his value was still high.  They held onto ET too long and could only get a couple 2nd round picks for him.  Even if the Lakers pick doesn't fall out of the top 5 this year, it will almost certainly end up being a top 10 pick next year. 

« Reply #314 on: February 20, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438

I'm optimistic Kidd can help MCW break some of his bad habits and settle into a more modest but more efficient role.  The better supporting cast will help too, and being in a culture that's actually trying to win basketball games every year can't hurt either.  His stats may overrate him but he's got great size and good tools, he just needs to learn how to play within his talents.

Me too. MCW has a lot of talent. Gotta believe Kidd feels the same way and that is why Milwaukee went out and got him.

MCW does a large number of positive things for his team. Unfortunately, he also does a large number of bad things and his net impact isn't much. But those are fixable problems and if MCW puts in the work, MCW can become a very good PG further down the road.