Author Topic: Super Bowl XLIX Thread  (Read 70906 times)

Re: Super bowl XLIX Thread
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2015, 10:33:25 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2524
I don't know what the equivalent of that play call would be in basketball.  Up by one, 25 seconds left, and you have Perk take a quick 3PT?

I wouldn't go that far. I mean, if not for Malcolm Butler reading that play perfectly, you guys would not be celebrating.

It's like being up by 2, getting fouled and missing both free throws, giving the other team a chance to win it at the buzzer. I think that's what it feels like.

I don't know.  Too many things can go wrong on that play.  You're throwing into traffic, so unless it's a perfect throw and catch, there are a lot of guys who can get their hands on the balls.  A bobble by the receiver and it's a pick.

If there was less time on the clock, maybe you try that.  Not on second down when you've got 30 seconds and a timeout, though.  That's Beast time.

if lynch fails then people crucify carroll. they also only had 1 time out left. they put the ball in their best players hands, russell wilson, who had a super-clutch game.
think if it was brady, you have to give him the ball. wilson is close to the same level IMO.

If it's me, I'm going Lynch, then Wilson rollout run/pass option, then 4th down depends on where the ball's at.

i can see that, but there were only 20 seconds left - if lynch gets stuffed you have to use your timeout and then you can't use him on 3rd down. the odds of an INT are pretty low on any given play (lynch could have fumbled, too), and wilson was on a roll. i don't mind the play because it means you don't have to hurry on 4th down.
If Lynch fails, you have 3rd-and-goal from the one yard line with 24 seconds to go and a stopped clock.  You've still got two shots at a TD.

« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Not a GIF, but...

When you get the "we need to talk" text from your girl

Great, now we're going to see this as a meme for the foreseeable future.  Ugh.

« Reply #212 on: February 01, 2015, 10:36:03 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't know what the equivalent of that play call would be in basketball.  Up by one, 25 seconds left, and you have Perk take a quick 3PT?

I wouldn't go that far. I mean, if not for Malcolm Butler reading that play perfectly, you guys would not be celebrating.

It's like being up by 2, getting fouled and missing both free throws, giving the other team a chance to win it at the buzzer. I think that's what it feels like.

I don't know.  Too many things can go wrong on that play.  You're throwing into traffic, so unless it's a perfect throw and catch, there are a lot of guys who can get their hands on the balls.  A bobble by the receiver and it's a pick.

If there was less time on the clock, maybe you try that.  Not on second down when you've got 30 seconds and a timeout, though.  That's Beast time.

if lynch fails then people crucify carroll. they also only had 1 time out left. they put the ball in their best players hands, russell wilson, who had a super-clutch game.
think if it was brady, you have to give him the ball. wilson is close to the same level IMO.

Nah. They outsmarted themselves.
"Everyone will think we'll go with Lynch, so we won't"
If it would have worked, everyone would say it was ballsy, just like going for it at the end of the 1st half. Carroll would have been named MVP.
But, its football, and there is always a chance that things don't go the way you plan it...
Frankly, as irrational as it is, I'm with the "law of the averages" guys. Brady's two picks and the Pats still up, but crazy plays (Kearse) and mistake free football by the Seahawks? Come on, that has to catch up to you sometime...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #213 on: February 01, 2015, 10:36:20 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2186
Not a GIF, but...

Thanks.  New temporary avatar.

« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2015, 10:36:54 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
BTW, is question number one on everyone's mind  in Pats Nation the following:
Will Revis be back?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2015, 10:37:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Congrats to Patriots and all Patriot Fans!

« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2015, 10:37:53 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
How cool is it that an undrafted rookie makes that play?

« Reply #217 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I still absolutely do not understand how people live in cities that don't win a major championship like every two or three years. I just don't get it. What do they even tell themselves? What is it even like? Are you just sad all the time?

« Reply #218 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:43 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I was honestly thinking more about the Knicks giving up 8 points in 9 seconds, lol. ;D  I know that the play in question wasn't that bad, but it felt like it.  I'm just glad that Downton Abbey finished in time, ahaha. ;D

« Reply #219 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
That has to be the worst play call in Super Bowl history . ;D

« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Carroll has made gutsy - and quite honestly stupid calls - in critical situations of the game over the past few years.  And he's gotten away with 'em.  Not this time.

Yeah, my read on that last play as well. Easy for everyone to second guess it. But were people second guessing the play call at the end of the first half? And if the last play had worked, would people be second guessing? No.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
BTW, is question number one on everyone's mind  in Pats Nation the following:
Will Revis be back?

Every time I hear that dude's name I think of general grievous, lol. ;D

« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Think about the difference between Richard Sherman's end of game interview last year and Malcolm Butler's.  What a contrast.  Love that.
excellent point.  thought they were a bunch of jerks last year and seeing them trying to instigate a fight at the end just put their lack of class on display for everyone.

If Seattle had won, Sherman would have probably ripped on Revis and Brady and whoever else came to his mind.

« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2015, 10:44:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
And now at the old age of 7.5 my kid has seen all 4 major pro Boston sports teams win rings.

« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2015, 10:46:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This is all I gotta say to non Pats fans....especially Seattle and all their roided up players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPFMzskXZvY