Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 608356 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
The idea that Brady can't tell the difference between the ball he supposedly hand-chose five hours previously, and an under-inflated ball, is laughable.

Roy, in my opinion, your distaste for the patriots is really impacting your comments on this subject. The truth is there really isn't enough information out there right now to decide if anything is laughable. We have been given such limited information that anything is really still in play at this point. Like another user said we don't know if most of the balls were 12.2, 11.5 or 10.5.

Surprised given your background and normal discussion of things that you would take such a strong position with the level of info that is out there at the moment.

As I mentioned earlier also disappointing how little focus there is on the game at the moment.

The report was 2 PSI.  If that's accurate, it's laughable. 

I agree that I'd like the focus to be on the game, but let's be real: the idea that an Indy equipment manager could tell the ball was under-inflated, but Tom Brady couldn't, is silly.

Did not realize you were an expert of how different 10 psi football feels from a regulation one.  I read experts say it is not noticeable.  Why didn't the refs pick it up if it were.  Your comments that it is laughable are without foundation, counselor.

Tom Brady himself says he can tell the difference of 1.0 psi, but he can't tell the difference between 2.0 psi?  Strange.

Didn't say he can tell the difference, says he prefers it at 12.5.  Could be just psychological.  I dunno, I just seriously doubt he is bald faced lying about this.  If he is, there is someone who will be able to contradict his position.  We will find out eventually. 

« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25592
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The idea that Brady can't tell the difference between the ball he supposedly hand-chose five hours previously, and an under-inflated ball, is laughable.

Roy, in my opinion, your distaste for the patriots is really impacting your comments on this subject. The truth is there really isn't enough information out there right now to decide if anything is laughable. We have been given such limited information that anything is really still in play at this point. Like another user said we don't know if most of the balls were 12.2, 11.5 or 10.5.

Surprised given your background and normal discussion of things that you would take such a strong position with the level of info that is out there at the moment.

As I mentioned earlier also disappointing how little focus there is on the game at the moment.

The report was 2 PSI.  If that's accurate, it's laughable. 

I agree that I'd like the focus to be on the game, but let's be real: the idea that an Indy equipment manager could tell the ball was under-inflated, but Tom Brady couldn't, is silly.

Did not realize you were an expert of how different 10 psi football feels from a regulation one.  I read experts say it is not noticeable.  Why didn't the refs pick it up if it were.  Your comments that it is laughable are without foundation, counselor.

Tom Brady himself says he can tell the difference of 1.0 psi, but he can't tell the difference between 2.0 psi?  Strange.

Roy, again, you are saying things that are not based on the available evidence or facts. The only thing I have read is that one of the patriots 11 deflated balls was as low as 10.5 (with the possibility of more being at this level or the possibility that the remaining balls had more pressure). We simply do not know from anything i have seen reported anywhere.

So we really don't know:

1) If the majority of the other balls were like this
2) if the 10.5 ball (or balls) was actually used and for how many plays

Ive been on this board (and its previous incarnations) going back to the ugly days and I can't really recall seeing you jump the gun on a topic like this before. I will have to go back and read your take on the ferguson stuff to compare.

It's probably a result of dozens of pages of Patriots' fans insulting my intelligence. ;)

First it was the weather, that only affected the Patriots' balls, not Indy's.  Now, it's that Brady can tell 1.0 psi differences because of the "grip", while fans argue that there's no difference in 2.0 psi.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #392 on: January 22, 2015, 07:58:19 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Now are we sure the colts balls did not change at all in terms of PSI or that they were still legal?  If they filled at the top of the allowed spectrum, they could dip and still be legal.  To be honest I would find it hard to believe that they were exactly the same. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #393 on: January 22, 2015, 08:00:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I dunno, I just seriously doubt he is bald faced lying about this. .

I guess you're more trusting than I am. 

Dozens of sterorids users bald-faced lied.  Hell, the President of the United States looked straight into the camera and bald-faced lied about something that he could be directly contradicted on.

People lie all the time, and they fool some people with those lies all of the time, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Dozens of sterorids users bald-faced lied. 

So you're against the Seahawks, too?  Are you just going to skip watching the Super Bowl or just go to a party and be social for it?

« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2015, 08:14:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Dozens of sterorids users bald-faced lied. 

So you're against the Seahawks, too?  Are you just going to skip watching the Super Bowl or just go to a party and be social for it?

I posted earlier in the thread about this.  I think it's ridiculous that only the Pats are treated as villains, with all the PED users on Seattle (coupled with their coach's numerous violations at USC, multiple offseason / practice violations, etc.)

There are no clean organizations here.  However, to pretend that the Pats didn't cheat and get caught, while bending over backwards to make excuses, isn't my style.

« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2015, 08:15:19 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573

I guess you're more trusting than I am. 

Dozens of sterorids users bald-faced lied.  Hell, the President of the United States looked straight into the camera and bald-faced lied about something that he could be directly contradicted on.

People lie all the time, and they fool some people with those lies all of the time, too.

A cynical perspective would be that people lie all the time.  Truthful analysis would likely reveal that people lie some of the time.  I know you weren't being literal, however, people who always presume conspiracy or presume the worst whenever they hear something potentially scandalous are correct only some of the time.  It's important to remember that when conspiracy theorists and scandal chasers come up empty, we tend not to hear much about it. When they strike gold, it's all we hear.   Sometimes Bill and Tom tell the truth.  Nixon, Clinton and Bush told the truth sometimes too.

I am always amazed when people are so certain of others' veracity and intent.   I always feel clueless at this stage of the game.

« Reply #397 on: January 22, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
So now DQwell Jackson, who intercepted Brady, and according to multiple "news" reports was the one who tipped off the Colts equipment guy that the ball was deflated is saying that he never did. That he never noticed a difference.

This whole thing gets stranger by the hour. The possibility that this will end badly for certain "rumor mongers news reporters" grows and grows....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #398 on: January 22, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
FWIW now D'Qwell Jackson says he didn't notice anything odd about the ball. This throws some cold water on the "how can a linebacker touch it once and notice something funny, while Brady never did" line of argument.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12213533/dqwell-jackson-indianapolis-colts-says-one-noticed-ball-was-inflated?ex_cid=espnapi_public

We still need more facts, but at least this is a direct quote from someone.

Edit: though the article says he "didn't notice weight" of the ball. Come on, ESPN.

« Reply #399 on: January 22, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

True. In fact, we are so bereft of facts, that it is painful.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #400 on: January 22, 2015, 08:29:31 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
FWIW now D'Qwell Jackson says he didn't notice anything odd about the ball. This throws some cold water on the "how can a linebacker touch it once and notice something funny, while Brady never did" line of argument.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12213533/dqwell-jackson-indianapolis-colts-says-one-noticed-ball-was-inflated?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Edit: though the article says he "didn't notice weight" of the ball. Come on, ESPN.

So there is still no actual evidence and the person who the story hinged around is saying that the story as presented is false.  The Patriots are going to be "very annoyed" and are going to play "with a fire in their bellies" [note: I know this site is super G rated so I am censoring myself].  I am now starting to be glad that this happened.

The only thing we know for sure is that the Colts whine whenever anything doesn't go their way and their owner is a sleaze bag.   Also, most sports analysts are reactionary "blowhards."

« Reply #401 on: January 22, 2015, 08:31:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I notice nobody in New England or the NFL wants to hire Louis Freeh to look into this thing.

« Reply #402 on: January 22, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #403 on: January 22, 2015, 08:36:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be

True. In fact, we are so bereft of facts, that it is painful.

Yeah, I think that's the key thing. Outside of Mort's "leaks" report, there really isn't anything out there and the stuff he reported hasn't been corroborated by the NFL.  So this one report really has fueled this media hellstorm we're witnessing and almost everything continues to be speculative four days after the game.  NFL remains to be quiet here and it's amazing to consider that Brady said he hasn't talked to anyone there.

What the heck is going on in the league office right now?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #404 on: January 22, 2015, 08:37:51 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
The story with DQwell is interesting:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462315/article/dqwell-jackson-footballs-didnt-change-outcome

Apparently late in the 1st half the Patriots were using the Colts footballs.

Jackson does, however, recall one interesting moment during the first half that has something to do with the latest controversy. He recalls, during a television timeout, there was an especially long delay that prompted him to approach an official.

The game official mentioned something about their efforts to locate a usable football. Shortly after, Jackson noticed that the Patriots were using the Colts' footballs late in the first half.
Celtics fan for life.