Author Topic: With whom can we trade up to get a top 5 pick for the 2015 draft?  (Read 24605 times)

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Our most glaring need is at the center position.  And it just so happens that there are 3 potential franchise centers in this draft.  The most in years.  But if we project out the Celtics current performance into a full season record, it's very unlikely that we'll have enough lottery balls to get into the top end of the draft.  Of course it is possible, and it's happened plenty of times in recent decades.  For the purpose of this discussion though, let's assume we do not win and/or move up in the lottery.

That means we are left with 2 first round picks and a couple second round picks.  We've also got some tradeable pieces in James Young, Smart, Olynyk and Sullinger.  Keeping all those assets in mind, and looking at current NBA records to predict which teams will have top picks, what are some likely trade scenarios in which the Celtics can get into the top 5 to draft a franchise center?

Jahlil Okafor, Karl Towns, and Willie Cauley-Stein - we want YOU!!

Re: With whom can we trade up to get a top 5 pick for the 2015 draft?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Ourselves because we will most likely be terrible enough to get a top 5 pick.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hope for some of that Cleveland "luck" at the lottery drawing.

Even with the Rondo trade, this team is looking like its still too good to nab a top 5 pick.  Plus, there are some crap teams in front of them right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 11:43:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Philly loves collecting picks so if they are in a draft position to select a center despite already having one I think they would do our (likely) lottery pick plus other picks for a high pick.

I could see Minnesota, Charlotte, Utah, Indiana, the Lakers or Orlando wanting to trade their pick for established talent. Not sure how much of that we have but maybe packaging our pick with Bradley, Zeller, or Sullinger could get us up higher in the first.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:46:32 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Reminds me of the 2001 draft, when the top 4 were all centers - Kwame, Chandler, Pau and Curry.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
Reminds me of the 2001 draft, when the top 4 were all centers - Kwame, Chandler, Pau and Curry.

This is exactly the draft I had in mind when I said it's been a long time since we've seen so many bona fide center prospects.  A lot of the threads in this subforum refer to picking Cauley-Stein or Towns.  But there's no way we're getting our hands on those guys with the way these lotteries always play out.  Not many people know this, but part of Adam Silver's coronation was that he would continue the NBA's policy of forbidding the Celtics from ever getting the #1 pick.  Envelopes will be frozen and ping pong balls will be rigged, and thus we will never get that pick.

Therefore the only way we can hope to get one of the top 3 centers is by trading.  I like Evantime's idea of trading with Philly.  They don't need additional big men on that roster.  In fact, they may be willing to trade Embiid to us if they win the lottery.  If he gets fully cleared to play next season, I'd be willing to trade a couple first rounders and a young player if that's what it took.  That'd be a pretty sweet consolation prize IMO.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown

We all know that ain't happening.

Even with the Rondo trade, this team is looking like its still too good to nab a top 5 pick.  Plus, there are some crap teams in front of them right now.

Right.  But that's the point of this topic, is to discuss who some potential trade partners might be. 

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 12:21:40 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I see them as players of completely different caliber.

Okafor - Tim Duncan - can't miss
Towns - Derrick Favors
WCS - Tyson Chandler

I'd sell the farm for Okafor.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I see them as players of completely different caliber.

Okafor - Tim Duncan - can't miss
Towns - Derrick Favors
WCS - Tyson Chandler

I'd sell the farm for Okafor.

Okafor is closer to jefferson than duncan. Average impact on the defensive. He doesnt seem interested in playing tough physical defense imo

I like harrell better. Not as skilled but a force and unpleasent to play against

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
A team that is not high on any of the top 5 prospects and wants multiple picks will be a good trading partner.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah, barring a sell off relatively soon we're looking at another 5-10 lottery pick. If we don't back into the playoffs scary as that sounds.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 12:35:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
A team that is not high on any of the top 5 prospects and wants multiple picks will be a good trading partner.

I think it'll be next to impossible to trade into the top 3-5 this year with that big man talent out there.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 12:40:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think it'll be next to impossible to trade into the top 3-5 this year with that big man talent out there.
Its always possible, but only to move up a few slots.

Kevin Love for OJ Mayo style trades, just small moves up and down to land specific prospects. Which given the C's current pace will still leave us unable to trade for much unless we move up via lottery or target a guy in the 5-7 range.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

It is possible.  For example pelicans stink and rockets get a top 5. But they already have dhoward.  Its amazing how the rockets are doing so well. They lack depth

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Its always possible, but only to move up a few slots.

Kevin Love for OJ Mayo style trades, just small moves up and down to land specific prospects. Which given the C's current pace will still leave us unable to trade for much unless we move up via lottery or target a guy in the 5-7 range.

Yeah, its one thing if its like a #4 & #5 thing.  Sitting at #8 or #9 and getting into the top 5 is a whole other story.