Author Topic: Spurs (11-4) at Celtics (4-9) Game #14 11/30/14  (Read 27020 times)

Re: Spurs (11-4) at Celtics (4-9) Game #14 11/30/14
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Loved Tommy's commentary. Seems at the end of the day we were being toyed with. Oh well.

Remember, too, guys, that San Antonio just doesn't foul ::).  21 to 11 in that department?  Give me a break, but they always get away with murder.

« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 615
Need to develop Powell for defensive purposes. Athletic 6'11" guy aren't easy to come by.

« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Need to develop Powell for defensive purposes. Athletic 6'11" guy aren't easy to come by.

The guy is a d league player .  He has no business being on a legit  NBA team

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
On the 3th with 01:32
[BOS 71-73]

Then a few minutes later on the 4th

04:38
[SAS 99-80]

Scored 9 points and conceded 26, what is this?

This offense is a lie. 9 points in almost 9 minutes... No need to talk about the defense.

Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2014, 09:41:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
[BOS 71-73]

[SAS 99-80]

This offense is a lie. 9 points in almost 9 minutes... No need to talk about the defense.
sometimes small sample sizes paint an inaccurate picture. let's look at the celtics offense using the entire 2014-15 season for context instead of a 9 minute chunk of time from one game.

the celtics are:
6th in the league in average points scored per game
5th in the league in fg percentage
10th in the league in adjusted field goal percentage

they are, unfortunately, 2nd worse in the league in 3 point percentage. but aside from that, the are well above league average in offense. it is the defense that is killing them more times than not. the celtics are 27th in the league in points allowed per game.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
The good teams or elite teams have the ability to raise their game ,  take control at crunch time.

Celtics just tread water .....playing their tails off to stay with the elite players .   

But , then the elites turn it on and just pull away from the lesser teams .

They manage their efforts ......saving the best for last.

« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
[BOS 71-73]

[SAS 99-80]

sometimes small sample sizes paint an inaccurate picture. let's look at the celtics offense using the entire 2014-15 season for context instead of a 9 minute chunk of time from one game.

the celtics are:

they are, unfortunately, 2nd worse in the league in 3 point percentage. but aside from that, the are well above league average in offense. it is the defense that is killing them more times than not. the celtics are 27th in the league in points allowed per game.

Good offense and bad defense should cancel each other out, though, on some nights.  If you've really got a great offense and you've got a double digit lead in the second half, there should be nights when you are able to just score enough to come away with the game.  But teams are just shutting Boston's vaunted offense down whenever they feel like really playing defense.

And that awful 3 point shooting is pretty important given how Stevens' offense seems reliant on that shot.

Mike

« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2014, 11:42:25 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 384
When Gorman said that Duncan will always be the one that got away for C's fans...when in reality it was Parker---who was sitting there, in our laps on draft night---even Pitino (who was draft commentator) said "I think the Celtics will draft Tony Parker"---and OOPS, we draft JOE FORTE......knew it was a bad decision right when it happened.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2014, 12:07:29 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
When Gorman said that Duncan will always be the one that got away for C's fans...when in reality it was Parker---who was sitting there, in our laps on draft night---even Pitino (who was draft commentator) said "I think the Celtics will draft Tony Parker"---and OOPS, we draft JOE FORTE......knew it was a bad decision right when it happened.

I know that I'll likely be in the minority here, but I think that Tony Parker is overrated.  His game has always been based on his blinding speed, and he's never been a very good passer, imo.  He really just looks to score.  I mean, sure, he does have some great moves, like the spinning one where he travels but always gets away with, but he's not really a good defender, and if he isn't scoring out there, he doesn't have any impact on the game.  I'd much rather have Rondo.  A Rondo, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett quartet would have been even better than Rondo, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and KG, imo, but we'll never know.  Sigh.

Also, even though this has nothing to do with his on-court abilities, how in the world did he cheat on Eva Longoria?  Seriously, bro - how?

« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2014, 12:36:37 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Tony Parker has played his entire career for a team renowned for its team offence.    A perimeter player that  can hit some free throws and 3's too.   When the game is on the line you need players that can make an important basket, instead of deferring.    Attributes required for a max contract player.

« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2014, 01:51:30 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
[BOS 71-73]

[SAS 99-80]

the celtics are:

Good offense and bad defense should cancel each other out, though, on some nights.  If you've really got a great offense and you've got a double digit lead in the second half, there should be nights when you are able to just score enough to come away with the game.  But teams are just shutting Boston's vaunted offense down whenever they feel like really playing defense.

And that awful 3 point shooting is pretty important given how Stevens' offense seems reliant on that shot.

Mike

I think the strength of the schedule plays a huge role here. If we weren't playing so many excellent teams, we'd probably have several more of these close games.  Hell, the ones we've lost in the 4th were to Spurs, Bulls, Blazers, Cavs, Suns, Raptors, and Mavs, who are all either excellent playoff teams or legitimate title contenders.

« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2014, 01:57:10 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 384

I know that I'll likely be in the minority here, but I think that Tony Parker is overrated.  His game has always been based on his blinding speed, and he's never been a very good passer, imo.  He really just looks to score.  I mean, sure, he does have some great moves, like the spinning one where he travels but always gets away with, but he's not really a good defender, and if he isn't scoring out there, he doesn't have any impact on the game.  I'd much rather have Rondo.  A Rondo, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett quartet would have been even better than Rondo, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and KG, imo, but we'll never know.  Sigh.

Also, even though this has nothing to do with his on-court abilities, how in the world did he cheat on Eva Longoria?  Seriously, bro - how?

so you're saying we did the right thing by drafting Forte.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2014, 02:52:32 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
And +\- is a flawed stat, but...

Rondo 31 minutes -19
Green 30 minutes -28
Bradley 27 minutes -11
Zeller 23 minutes -15
Bass 19 minutes -13
Sully 26 minutes -9
KO 25 minutes -3

Now, that -3 may not say much about how KO played, but I think it is dumb to talk about the KO experiment being over but not the Rondo experiment or the Bradley experiment or the Green experiment.

Mike
Bass had a minus 13 and if you think Olynyk played better than bass because of this +- bs you must had been sleeping during the game.

I didn't say KO layer better than Bass.  I didn't say KO played better than anyone.  I'm just saying that KO should not be the scapegoat when the problems with this team run a lot deeper.

Mike

Of course the problems run deeper. No one is saying this team would contend if we just had a rim protector and a guy who could finish down low offensively. But right now Kelly's regression is a major concern not only because it may mean the loss of a future asset but also because his play is hurting our team right now.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Couldn't disagree more.  You talk about a point guard who controls every aspect of a game through tempo, distribution, and scoring... this guy is the best since Isiah and he keeps getting better. 

Flashy passing is what's overrated.  Parker gets the Spurs into their sets FAST.  He resets FAST when they break down.  He creates for others, exploits weak defenders, takes care of the ball, and when all else fails he can score from anywhere.  Oh, and he can make a free throw.

« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I think the word you're looking for is 'why'.  :D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.