Author Topic: LeBron to CLE is horrible news for the C's  (Read 21231 times)

Re: LeBron to CLE is horrible news for the C's
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I wouldn't panic. We were out of the Love chase long ago, and Cleveland will be far from 'elite'. Even Lebron acknowledged that it will be tough to win a title and it will test his patience. Ainge is putting together a strong foundation with a lot of assets. No need to despair.

A lot of assets -- for sure; a strong foundation -- not so sure.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »

Offline NorthernLightning

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • zap
Aren't you the guy who just asked how the Celtics with Rondo and Green could be better than last season?

Yeah, but that was under the implication the roster was still the same and we wouldnt get Love.

Was it also under the implication that we didn't draft Smart and Young, or acquire Zeller and Thornton, or that Rondo's health wouldn't be much better?

If a person wants to see the glass 3/4 empty, it's amazing the things a person will refuse to see.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 01:15:39 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
But will give up Wiggins?

I am not so sure.
Ask yourself this would LeBron want an established Love by his side or a rookie if he's chasing championships? It doesn't matter what Cleveland wants to do what LeBron wants he'll get he's going to call the shots over there
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I really don't see why people are freaking out. This really changes nothing for Boston. Or for Minnesota, for that matter.

This changes a lot of things... If Bosh/LBJ stayed in MIA, then there is a slight chance we could've found a team willing to take on assets/players in another 3 way trade for Love.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 01:18:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400
I know is seems to be the consensus from people that love to cleveland is done now. A few questions on that though...

Is Saunders going to fully reverse course  off of wanting veterans that are close to contributing? He has seemed pretty adamant about that and while getting Wiggins would seem like a no brainer, he has made baffling moves in the past. A team of wiggins, Pek, Rubio, Martin. What is the goal of that team.

More importantly.. How would the salaries work for Cleveland in the coming years? If they have Irving at 19, Lebron at 20 million. They would have to get rid of Varejo and then they still have Waiters at 4 million, Thompson at 5 Maybe Bennett at 5 there is not room for another max player. Haven't the last few years with the Heat kind of shown the problem with 3 max level players?

I actually think the Cavs would be a lot better to keep their existing pieces add someone like Gasol for 8 million and/or Boozer for 7 and pay a little more than minimum to avoid ending up with a joel anthony type center. 

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I told folks to get their tissues.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I, for one, am elated that Love won't be coming here.
Why... Because he'd hurt our ability to tank?

As far as I'm concerned, the East is officially over until Philly shows up.  Cavs are going to be ridiculous.  I'm interested to see what kind of assets we get for rondo.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Cleveland has more than enough ammo to trade for Love and with that not only will the Cavs be elite for the next 4 years at least, the Celtics will have no one to pin their hope to for the next few years. They have to just tank it out the next couple years and hope for a superstar.

Love will go to Cleveland now. all they have to do is offer wiggins and Flip will flip.

Have to agree. The biggest thing, Lebron mentions Wiggins nowhere in his letter/essay. Makes me think Wiggins for Love is already done.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 01:22:38 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 259
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
we can all  hate the cavs now!!

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Believe in Boston
Cleveland has more than enough ammo to trade for Love and with that not only will the Cavs be elite for the next 4 years at least, the Celtics will have no one to pin their hope to for the next few years. They have to just tank it out the next couple years and hope for a superstar.

Love will go to Cleveland now. all they have to do is offer wiggins and Flip will flip.

Have to agree. The biggest thing, Lebron mentions Wiggins nowhere in his letter/essay. Makes me think Wiggins for Love is already done.

Doesn't mention Bennett either, he's probably gone to
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I hate the fact they won the lottery 3 times in 4 years.  No one deserves that much luck.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Cleveland probably would have got under the cap either way but does anybody feel like crap for pretty much "helping" Cleveland land him all while costing us any shot we had at Love?

"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I wonder if LeBron will learn from what happened in Miami and want young depth, instead of three big pieces...Is it better to field:

Kyrie
Wiggins
LeBron
Thompson
Varejao
Bench: Waiters, Bennett, vets on minimum deals & MLE

Or is it better to field:
Kyrie
Waiters
LeBron
Love
Varejao
Bench: Vets on minimum

Short term, obviously choice #2...But, is choice #1 better for the team short term and long term?

For the record, I think Love is a Cav within the next 3-4 days.

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I hate the fact they won the lottery 3 times in 4 years.  No one deserves that much luck.

Technically the Clippers won it once, they were just dumb enough to put no protections on their pick.

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Dunno if they give up Wiggins for Love, but it is strange that Wiggins hasn't signed yet.

They'll have trouble fitting Love in with a max deal unless they send out a tonne of assets with the salary needed. I think they could sign him over the cap though next year.

Did Lebron mention Kyrie in his sports illustrated essay?
I think it would be in the Cavs interest to trade Kyrie Irving for Kevin Love (if he agrees to opt in), and then sign some better role players with the third large salary slot after Lebron and Love.

He mentioned Kyrie but did not mention Wiggins. Not sure it really matters though. I don't think it's a code or anything.