Author Topic: Latest from Bill Simmons  (Read 22825 times)

Re: Latest from Bill Simmons
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.
The top three point guards in PER are Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, and Stephen Curry.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

It's as good or bad as any stat. If you're going to base your entire opinion of a group of players on a number you read on a website it might as well be PER. Some people like win shares or efficiency, beats paying attention to the games.

If you watch the games, Rondo isn't very good. Even before the injury.
I hope we draft a point guard who can shoot and defend. Rondo can't do either.
rondo wasn't very good? Yet when we played the heat on the ECf 2 years ago, everyone unanimously said in games 1-5 that rondo was the best player on the court for either team.

It was 2 years ago and vs chalmers. We need to fast fwd
did you read what I said? Best player on the court. Outplayed lebron wade bosh pierce kg and ray

How can lebron totally outplay pp(he was still great 2 years ago)?? Vice versa. Same with kg vs bosh , wade vs allen

Rondo was guarded by a bench player that has issues staying in front of quicker pgs

The most infuriating thing about your posts might be your willful ignorance of any defensive concepts that don't have to do with man coverage.

Rondo had the full attention of the entire Miami team. He wasn't just being checked by Chalmers. And he absolutely was the best player in at least 2 of the games in that series (LBJ probably gets the nod for 3-4 and then take your pick to fill in the blanks)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
PER is a bad stat.

If my memory serves me correctly Rondo and LeBron were matched up a fair amount in that series.
PER is a very good stat.
The top three point guards in PER are Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, and Stephen Curry.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

It's as good or bad as any stat. If you're going to base your entire opinion of a group of players on a number you read on a website it might as well be PER. Some people like win shares or efficiency, beats paying attention to the games.

rondo wasn't very good? Yet when we played the heat on the ECf 2 years ago, everyone unanimously said in games 1-5 that rondo was the best player on the court for either team.

did you read what I said? Best player on the court. Outplayed lebron wade bosh pierce kg and ray

How can lebron totally outplay pp(he was still great 2 years ago)?? Vice versa. Same with kg vs bosh , wade vs allen

Rondo was guarded by a bench player that has issues staying in front of quicker pgs

If my memory serves me correctly Rondo and LeBron were matched up a fair amount in that series.

Are you telling me it was lebron vs rondo??

Is this the same story of kim jong il vs michael jordan back in the day?

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2014, 10:19:33 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

Are you telling me it was lebron vs rondo??

Is this the same story of kim jong il vs michael jordan back in the day?

If you're not going to make sense at least be funny.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2014, 10:22:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

The most infuriating thing about your posts might be your willful ignorance of any defensive concepts that don't have to do with man coverage.

Rondo had the full attention of the entire Miami team. He wasn't just being checked by Chalmers. And he absolutely was the best player in at least 2 of the games in that series (LBJ probably gets the nod for 3-4 and then take your pick to fill in the blanks)

Of course he had the heats attention bc chalmers was the weakest link on the defensive end.  Plus what do u want lebron to do, let paul pierce roam around the court freely

If you replace chalmers with paul , parker, lawson etc no way rondo does what he did. I dont want to discount what he did totally but he was not facing even a decent 1 on 1 defender

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Same story also vs jameer nelson, jeff teague

Rondo though has got roughed up by derrick rose, paul, parker. Rondo needs to be surrounded by big name talent to be good.  The clippers need Paul to be good. Thats the diff

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
The clippers need Paul to be good. Thats the diff

Funny because they were good without him last year.

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2014, 10:29:57 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

They had him last year?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2014, 10:32:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

Of course he had the heats attention bc chalmers was the weakest link on the defensive end.  Plus what do u want lebron to do, let paul pierce roam around the court freely

If you replace chalmers with paul , parker, lawson etc no way rondo does what he did. I dont want to discount what he did totally but he was not facing even a decent 1 on 1 defender

But it doesn't matter. That's the point. Pierce is one of my favorite players of all time, but he wasn't playing particularly well in that ECF.

Rondo, on the other hand, was on fire that series. Absolutely on fire.

« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2014, 10:34:25 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

They had him last year?

I don't even put much stock in them being good when he was hurt.  Paul is a great PG.  I just think it's a silly point to make.  Paul plays on a great team with a lot more talent than we have here.

« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
McLemore and 8 is a good deal because you are basically trading for McLemore and either Smart or Exum and starting over at PG.  I dont think Thomas would beinvolved, but we would have to take on Jason Thompsons contract.

You take Smart or Exum at 6, knowing that you are trading Rondo, this allows you to take a forward at 8.

The only issue would be if Lakers took Gordon instead of Randle.  Then we would have to choose between Randle or Saric.  If Embiid fell to 6, that means Smart may still be there at 7 and we would have to wait and see if Lakers passed on him.

McLemore had a subpar rookie season, big deal.  He is well worth the risk.   Keep Bradley as a 3rd guard.  Trade Green/Vitor/17 for Biyombo/MKG/24.  Take Capela at 24. 

Smart
Bradley
McLemore
MKG
Gordon
Sullinger
Capela
Olynyk
Biyombo

Also:

Wallace, expries 2016
Thompson , expires 2017

Thompson would be a solid player to have while Capela improves and in case Biyombo want re-signed.  Wallace may be helpful for one year, then I think they stretch his contract next summer. 

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2014, 10:38:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Not likely smart or exum availble at 8 but yeah

Mclemore and smart for rondo would be a no brainer.

We would have to get smart with the 6th and hopefully gordon drops. If not draft saric.

« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Not likely smart or exum availble at 8 but yeah

Mclemore and smart for rondo would be a no brainer.

We would have to get smart with the 6th and hopefully gordon drops. If not draft saric.

no brainer alright -- Danny's brain would be missing to settle for that.

« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just don't understand the fascination with McLemore.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2014, 11:29:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

Chalmers's main nba level skill is probably his defense. He's a decent outside shooter but not much of a point guard beyond that. Defensively he generally holds opposing point guards to below average production, as do the Heat as a whole. The same can't be said for Lawson and Denver or Parker and the Spurs. Neither of those players are really seen as top defenders.

As for Rondo's defense, if you watched much of those playoffs at all you'd have seen that, despite all the  minutes he played and the heavy load he carried on offense he spent much of his time defending the best scorer in the other backcourt. He guarded Williams a lot and Evan Turner at times vs Philly, spent a lot of time on Johnson and McGrady and Williams on Atlanta and spent much of his time in the Miami series covering Wade. If you were keeping an eye on the points per possession for players he was guarding on mysynergy sports you'd have seen the number drop during the playoffs for Rondo because he was playing strong enough defense in the playoffs to lower his regular season numbers.

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Ben Mcclemore is a horrible player. I'd rather trade for Etwaun Moore back.