Author Topic: Latest from Bill Simmons  (Read 22831 times)

Re: Latest from Bill Simmons
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2014, 02:06:08 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.
The top three point guards in PER are Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, and Stephen Curry.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

John, don't you have a front office to save?

Perhaps you can tell the Memphis bigwigs that correlation doesn't equal causation tomorrow morning.

Not that I'm particularly partial to either, but I'll take Win Shares ten times out of ten over PER.

I also tend to agree with your best point guard assessment, but I wouldn't use PER to defend it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2014, 07:09:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.
The top three point guards in PER are Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, and Stephen Curry.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

It's as good or bad as any stat. If you're going to base your entire opinion of a group of players on a number you read on a website it might as well be PER. Some people like win shares or efficiency, beats paying attention to the games.

« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2014, 09:22:07 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Some people like win shares or efficiency, beats paying attention to the games.

hahah TP
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

It's as good or bad as any stat. If you're going to base your entire opinion of a group of players on a number you read on a website it might as well be PER. Some people like win shares or efficiency, beats paying attention to the games.

If you watch the games, Rondo isn't very good. Even before the injury.
I hope we draft a point guard who can shoot and defend. Rondo can't do either.

« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

rondo wasn't very good? Yet when we played the heat on the ECf 2 years ago, everyone unanimously said in games 1-5 that rondo was the best player on the court for either team.

« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

rondo wasn't very good? Yet when we played the heat on the ECf 2 years ago, everyone unanimously said in games 1-5 that rondo was the best player on the court for either team.

That's the point. Rondo is not the player he once was.

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2014, 10:03:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

It was 2 years ago and vs chalmers. We need to fast fwd

« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

Or we could wait and see what Rondo is like after full recovery. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

Or we could trade him for someone better.

« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:40 AM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

did you read what I said? Best player on the court. Outplayed lebron wade bosh pierce kg and ray

so if rondo wasn't very good before his injury, then by your logic none of the named players are good either.

playoff rondo is a different beast from season rondo, how many times do we have to go over this.

« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

Or we could trade him for someone better.

Do you have someone specific in mind?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Do you have someone specific in mind?

Ben McLemore.   :P  ;D

I heard he has a beautiful stroke so he's already better.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

did you read what I said? Best player on the court. Outplayed lebron wade bosh pierce kg and ray

How can lebron totally outplay pp(he was still great 2 years ago)?? Vice versa. Same with kg vs bosh , wade vs allen

Rondo was guarded by a bench player that has issues staying in front of quicker pgs

« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2014, 10:13:55 AM »

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
PER is a bad stat.

If my memory serves me correctly Rondo and LeBron were matched up a fair amount in that series.
PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

How can lebron totally outplay pp(he was still great 2 years ago)?? Vice versa. Same with kg vs bosh , wade vs allen

Rondo was guarded by a bench player that has issues staying in front of quicker pgs

If my memory serves me correctly Rondo and LeBron were matched up a fair amount in that series.

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
PER is a bad stat.

PER is a very good stat.

Quite accurate, I'd say.

That's the point. Rondo is not the player he once was.

Before the injury, Rondo was a 4x All defensive team member, 4x All Star, leader in steals during 09-10, and is third all time in steals for the Boston Celtics. So you are wrong saying before the injury he wasn't very good. He was defensively elite, and offensively challenged outside of the paint. Can you actually name any PG's that actually beat Rondo in a playoff series before the injury?

Post-injury, jury is still out imo.