Author Topic: NBA is so packaged that the commentors  (Read 7711 times)

Re: NBA is so packaged that the commentors
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
cannot even call games fairly.

How can anyone say that Chalmers hook on Parker was not a flagarant foul?

You're absolutely right. As a big bball fan I hate to say it, but the NBA nowadays reminds me alot of the WWE.

It's more entertainment than it is a sport and you almost always know what the outcome of the game is going to be before the game even starts. Lord knows the officials will make sure of that.

In the meantime, the commentators will kiss Lebron's as* because he's the face of the NBA.

Watching the finals is like watching Wrestlemania.

This is actually a fantastic comparison. TP.

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You're absolutely right. As a big bball fan I hate to say it, but the NBA nowadays reminds me alot of the WWE.

It's more entertainment than it is a sport and you almost always know what the outcome of the game is going to be before the game even starts. Lord knows the officials will make sure of that.

In the meantime, the commentators will kiss Lebron's as* because he's the face of the NBA.

So you guys actually think the NBA is fixed and the outcomes are pre-determined?  That just doesn't seem plausible to me. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

So you guys actually think the NBA is fixed and the outcomes are pre-determined?  That just doesn't seem plausible to me.

Not fixed but heavily influenced.

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

that doesn't seem plausible either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 11:21:59 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

You guys are bizarre.  This whole thing here actually starts with a complaint about a call that the refs got right in the Spurs favor. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
You guys are bizarre.  This whole thing here actually starts with a complaint about a call that the refs got right in the Spurs favor. 

Affirmation bias is a cruel mistress.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
because Breen, SVG and Jackson are such tools they belong in a hardware store ;)

Mike Breen is particularly bad about rooting for the more popular team during a game. For that reason i barely watch the games they are calling. Way too much Miami and Laker love during the past 7 years.

And yes, they commented biased towards the Celtics as well, as long as the Celtics were playing teams like Atlanta, Philadelphia, Orlando, etc.

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Affirmation bias is a cruel mistress.

I'm not sure what you are saying.  Are you saying that my thinking the refs got the call right points towards affirmation bias on my part?  Or, are you saying that for the conspiracy theorists, any call, regardless of whose favor it is in, confirms their suspicion that the fix is in?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Option 2.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
because Breen, SVG and Jackson are such tools they belong in a hardware store ;)

Mike Breen is particularly bad about rooting for the more popular team during a game. For that reason i barely watch the games they are calling. Way too much Miami and Laker love during the past 7 years.

And yes, they commented biased towards the Celtics as well, as long as the Celtics were playing teams like Atlanta, Philadelphia, Orlando, etc.

In regards to the Chalmers elbow, two out of the three announcers (as well as the in-studio ref) thought it was a flagrant foul.  I agree that Mike Breen, in particular, tends to be a bit much of a Heat and Lebron enthusiast for my liking, but the particular play in discussion is a poor example of that. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Just do what I do;  turn down the volume when the announcing becomes unbearable.  It can make watching a game much more enjoyable.  Do you really need their play by play or analysis at all times?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 12:10:14 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
My favorite among many in this game was the play where Leonard "fouled out".  Leonard was first overtly tripped by Chalmers who stuck his leg out in front of one official....Who was obviously doing his obligatory messiah worship because he didn't see it....He / they / and Moe, Larry, and Curly commentating apparently also didn't see the messiah take 3 steps without a dribble before being "tripped" by Leonard live or on the replays.

This was like watching the Jordan pushoff.

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
My favorite among many in this game was the play where Leonard "fouled out".  Leonard was first overtly tripped by Chalmers who stuck his leg out in front of one official....Who was obviously doing his obligatory messiah worship because he didn't see it....He / they / and Moe, Larry, and Curly commentating apparently also didn't see the messiah take 3 steps without a dribble before being "tripped" by Leonard live or on the replays.

This was like watching the Jordan pushoff.

I've mentioned this before about why refs miss or don't make calls. during a game on Espn an obvious foul occurred and the head of officials(steve javey?) broke down this particular play and explained why the ref in the best position to make the call didn't.

(paraphrasing) in this particular incident this ref's responsibility is to watch for this and that. the ref(on the other side of the court) responsible for this play likely couldn't see because of being screened by the other players on the court.... :-\

soooo...it might not be that the refs are horrible, it might just be the system they use.

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 07:08:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
head of officials(steve javey?) broke down this particular play and explained why the ref in the best position to make the call didn't.

(paraphrasing) in this particular incident this ref's responsibility is to watch for this and that. the ref(on the other side of the court) responsible for this play likely couldn't see because of being screened by the other players on the court....

The fact that they have to explain calls speaks volumes to their incompetence.

They're still horrible, that is little more than an excuse.

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
They actually blamed Ginobili for taking a swipe at Wade rather than blaming Wade for flopping/

that took the cake for sure.