Author Topic: Copying and pasting articles have "?'s" and other characters  (Read 3043 times)

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I never noticed this happening before whenever I copy and paste an article seen it with others as well, there is question marks and other stuff that shouldn't be there. Do we need to wrap something else around the text other than quotes so it reads correctly?

See here with this quoted text why is it reading like this?
?Rondo can???t shoot from the perimeter. He???s an elite point guard in terms of his ability to run the team, he???s definitely somebody worthy of having. I love his game with the exception of his ability to hit perimeter shots,? Smith said. ?Kevin Love can hit perimeter shots better than most, and we all know that. ? But at the same time, let???s take into account that even though he can do those things offensively, he???s somewhat of a defensive liability.

?So you combine the defensive liability that [Love] is along with Rondo???s inability to shoot perimeter shots, at some point in time or another one of those elements are going to let you down when it counts.?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Copying and pasting articles have "?'s" and other characters
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've asked our tech guy to look into it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I'm not a tech guy (so take this explanation with a grain of salt) but I'm pretty sure it's just an issue due to the format of apostrophes and quotation marks.

For example, something like this:  There are all these different formats of apostrophes and quotation marks,

but CB uses and only recognizes the first format of apostrophe, and wherever you copy and pasted from uses another.  A lot of programs will recognize the other formats of apostrophes, but for whatever reason CB's system doesn't.  So it returns a question mark, because that's basically what the system is saying, "I have no idea what this symbol is."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:26:35 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Cool, right on Roy and bdm that makes some sense
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I made some changes to our settings.  I'm not a tech guy, so I have no idea if it will work like I want it to.

If you see any bugs, or the quotation mark issue continuing to pop up, please post in this thread.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes