Author Topic: Gerald Wallace has a torn meniscus  (Read 18756 times)

Re: Gerald Wallace has a torn meniscus
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2014, 06:12:11 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
Hope he comes back soon and better than ever!

At least he doesn't have to play with the unnecessary hate comments by this team's fans.

His contract is bad but the guy is a pro plays  hard every game that sets a good example for the younger guys.

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
To be medically retired you need two different doctors to rule you cannot play basketball anymore. One of those is going to be hired by the Insurance company almost assuredly.

Unless his contract is one of the ones excluded by the insurance company the league hires then his salary is covered by the insurance company. Medical retirement also grants a team cap relief.

That's why Portland was p---ed at the C's for looking at Darius Miles, they thought it was a cynical move to cost them cap space they'd gained from his medical retirement. Eventually he played enough in Memphis I think to cause Portland to lose that cap space.
Yeah I think you are remembering that situation correctly.  Nobody really medically retires.  It's exceptionally rare.  Wallace is young enough that he'll just milk Boston for a couple more seasons and then probably have a few more years as a journeyman.

That's part of the reason why the Blazers amnestied Brandon Roy instead of having him medically retire.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72

At least he doesn't have to play with the unnecessary hate comments by this team's fans.

His contract is bad but the guy is a pro plays  hard every game that sets a good example for the younger guys.
You're right, but some people here like to rip the guy apart for having a contract that large. Of course, these guys don't like to think logically at all. Just because a few times he called the team out (which someone had to do, especially at a time where all the awful players were trying to hog the ball and get up their stats), people got all mad over it and can't get over it.

It's sad that the guy who tries the hardest and deserves to win the most on the court is the one who goes down with an injury. I sincerely hope that Danny Ainge, whatever he does to make this a contending team, somehow keeps Wallace while doing it and Wallace plays that season and wins a ring. He deserves it more than anybody on this roster.

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
The knee issue (and the bone spurs) have been there all year for Wallace. I'm wondering if...maybe...they led him to be a bit passive this year. Just trying to think positively. Maybe Wallace is actually closer to old Crash next season after getting his knee and bone spurs taken care of. And, actually, he's been pretty solid since Rondo came back.

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2742
To recap: Wallace likely done for season (knee), Faverani may need surgery, Olynyk doubtful for Sat, Bradley reexamined next week

Washburn

what happened to Vitor?
Knee is swelling up, same issue he's had for a month now its just not getting better.

Thanks for the info. That's too bad, he could have been up for some playing time down the stretch.

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2014, 06:52:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
Do players hold press conferences to announce that they are injured?

I think Gerald might be hanging 'em up.

We could only be so lucky

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am impressed with his toughness in playing through it.  My hat is off to him.

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I wonder if he's going to call out his meniscus for not playing hard enough.
"One of these knees came to play today."

Nice.

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
Mark Murphy ‏@Murf56  1m
Ainge said Wallace is "done for the year." Wallace will address media tomorrow.

Maybe Ainge decided to put Wallace's true talent to use, and offered him a broadcasting job if he retires now. Calling the C's games on TV with Tommy and Mike. He can get paid to call out the team on TV every game!

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398

Thanks for saying this I agree... a guy has a season ending injury and the thread is filled with discussions of ways he could be injured badly enough to retire or jokes about his injury itself. This guy is a celtic, I think everyone agrees he plays hard and cares. I think it is fine to acknowledge he is overpaid, or has shot horribly, but lets not sink so long as to take delight in this guys injury/hope for more and make jokes. 

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
To be medically retired you need two different doctors to rule you cannot play basketball anymore. One of those is going to be hired by the Insurance company almost assuredly.

Unless his contract is one of the ones excluded by the insurance company the league hires then his salary is covered by the insurance company. Medical retirement also grants a team cap relief.

That's why Portland was p---ed at the C's for looking at Darius Miles, they thought it was a cynical move to cost them cap space they'd gained from his medical retirement. Eventually he played enough in Memphis I think to cause Portland to lose that cap space.
Yeah I think you are remembering that situation correctly.  Nobody really medically retires.  It's exceptionally rare.  Wallace is young enough that he'll just milk Boston for a couple more seasons and then probably have a few more years as a journeyman.

That's part of the reason why the Blazers amnestied Brandon Roy instead of having him medically retire.

Just spitballing here in the "completely unrealistic" hypothetical realm.   If Gerald Wallace decided that he was ready to hang it up right now at age 31 and actually announced his retirement tomorrow (completely improbable), are there any rules within the CBA/Players Association that would allow Boston to pay him the remaining 20+ mil on his contract, have him sign off on his retirement, and have him come completely off the books?

And hypothetically would that mean he was completely unable to return to the NBA until after the next two seasons passed (2014-15, 2015-16)? 

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2014, 07:08:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Just spitballing here in the "completely unrealistic" hypothetical realm.   If Gerald Wallace decided that he was ready to hang it up right now at age 31 and actually announced his retirement tomorrow (completely improbable), are there any rules within the CBA/Players Association that would allow Boston to pay him the remaining 20+ mil on his contract, have him sign off on his retirement, and have him come completely off the books?

And hypothetically would that mean he was completely unable to return to the NBA until after the next two seasons passed (2014-15, 2015-16)?

No.  If we pay him, that stays on our books.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Roy's correct - any amount that a team pays a retired player still counts against their salary cap. If you retire early, you forfeit any remaining salary (ala Sheed in 2010).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

No.  If we pay him, that stays on our books.
Ok... so then there's 0% chance he'd retire.  So you figure he'll be back next season whether he's healthy or not?  He'll rot on our bench and collect his paychecks for a couple seasons. 

Truthfully, he was actually showing some signs recently of being a contributor.  There was still a small chance that he would develop chemistry with Rondo and return to being an effective player. 

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2014, 01:06:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hard to believe i'm saying this but i'm kind of missing Crash out on the floor.  His productivity at times were poor (prob bc of his injury), but he really didn't take a shift off when he on the floor.  A good team guy and nice vet presence.  Some of his comments earlier in the year sounded like he was just complaining or wanting attention, but now that i think  of it, he is just a passionate guy that hates losing the wrong way. 

I look fwd to having him back next season coming off the bench