Author Topic: Gerald Wallace has a torn meniscus  (Read 18755 times)

Re: Gerald Wallace has a torn meniscus
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2014, 03:46:56 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
like someone else pointed out, this will just make it more impossible to trade him in the future.

It doesn't change anything.  He's still just a contract.  He's useful enough that plenty of playoff teams would be happy to have him on a minimum deal, but for trade purposes, it doesn't change that his play on the court is mostly irrelevant for any deal involving him.

Right. Gerald Wallace was basically untradable before this injury. The same is true now.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2741
Mark Murphy ‏@Murf56  1m
Ainge said Wallace is "done for the year." Wallace will address media tomorrow.

Is he going to call out the medical staff? Or just the team once more for old times sake?

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2741
To recap: Wallace likely done for season (knee), Faverani may need surgery, Olynyk doubtful for Sat, Bradley reexamined next week

Washburn

what happened to Vitor?

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2014, 04:05:25 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think he will be bought out or danny will use the stretch provision. It could be an ok situation for danny in that if he drafts one of the many talented sfs, they can come off the bench and compete with green , making him a better player or increase his trade value

I would be shocked if this happens before his final season, unless it coincides with other moves to get a lot of cap space this summer (which is unlikely).  All that would do is make the team worse, take away a future asset (his contract will be very tradable after next season), and will take away cap space for 5 years into the future.
If it's one year, then the stretch provison would be for 3 years per the NBA Salary Cap FAQ:

"If the contract or extension was signed under the current CBA, the remaining guaranteed salary is paid over twice the number of remaining years, plus one, per the Stretch provision. ...  If the player's salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match. For example, if two seasons remain on the player's contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years."

===

In any case, if they stretched GW's 1 year for $10M over three years, they would save themselves $6.67M on the cap for 2015, which is a lot.

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2014, 04:08:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
Actually verySorry for him,  hope he can make a full recovery.  He does seem to always play hard , even if the result is no so great at times.

I agree that he has been playing better since Rondos return anyway .  He is fearless around the bucket and fighting for the ball. Exciting to watch at times.....but yeah he isn't close to 10 mil.in value.

I think him being unavailable does hurt this  team already low on good players .and may reflect in teams chances to win more games.

Chris Johnson plays with energy and can actually shoot the ball which Wallace is awful.

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
To recap: Wallace likely done for season (knee), Faverani may need surgery, Olynyk doubtful for Sat, Bradley reexamined next week

Washburn

what happened to Vitor?
Knee is swelling up, same issue he's had for a month now its just not getting better.

« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2014, 04:15:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think he will be bought out or danny will use the stretch provision. It could be an ok situation for danny in that if he drafts one of the many talented sfs, they can come off the bench and compete with green , making him a better player or increase his trade value

I would be shocked if this happens before his final season, unless it coincides with other moves to get a lot of cap space this summer (which is unlikely).  All that would do is make the team worse, take away a future asset (his contract will be very tradable after next season), and will take away cap space for 5 years into the future.
If it's one year, then the stretch provison would be for 3 years per the NBA Salary Cap FAQ:

"If the contract or extension was signed under the current CBA, the remaining guaranteed salary is paid over twice the number of remaining years, plus one, per the Stretch provision. ...  If the player's salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match. For example, if two seasons remain on the player's contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years."

===

In any case, if they stretched GW's 1 year for $10M over three years, they would save themselves $6.67M on the cap for 2015, which is a lot.

Wallace has two years left after this, so if he is stretched this summer (which I assume was what they were suggesting), then it would be over 5 years.

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2014, 04:55:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think it's time for him to think about if he wants to continue playing basketball. Maybe he can retire and get his contract off the books.

I seriously doubt Wallace is going to leave $20 million on the table to give up basketball at 31.

I've pointed out a few times that the best shot at getting his salary off the books is to play enough so that he gets enough concussions to force his retirement for medical reasons.  (If a doctor ruled favorably, he would still be paid, but it wouldn't count against the cap.)

classy

How is this ok for the forum? Wishing a career ending injury on one of our players, and not just that, but a head based career ending injury that is associated with lifelong pain and depression. This forum is usually better than this.

I'm not wishing injury on him, just pointing out that his contract is quite toxic so that a medical retirement seems more likely than Wallace being traded before he becomes an expiring contract.

Pretty slippery slope you are on there. Saying the "best shot" to "play enough" and "get enough concussions" followed by an outcome you view as desirable (getting his salary off the books) definitely suggests you wouldn't be unhappy if this happened. Why bring up repeated head injuries? I suggest you just take your comments off the board cause they are embarrassing to celtics fans.
No but really... what would need to happen for Wallace to be medically retired?  And if medically retired, doesn't the insurance pay out the remainder of his contract and he comes off our books or something?

He's only 31 years old.  I don't see it happening.  Just curious what needs to happen for that. Also, I don't see us buying him out or using the stretch provision on him.  He'll be here for a couple more seasons.  We might trade him at the trade deadline in 2016 when he's an expiring contract.

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2014, 05:10:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
To be medically retired you need two different doctors to rule you cannot play basketball anymore. One of those is going to be hired by the Insurance company almost assuredly.

Unless his contract is one of the ones excluded by the insurance company the league hires then his salary is covered by the insurance company. Medical retirement also grants a team cap relief.

That's why Portland was p---ed at the C's for looking at Darius Miles, they thought it was a cynical move to cost them cap space they'd gained from his medical retirement. Eventually he played enough in Memphis I think to cause Portland to lose that cap space.

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2014, 05:19:21 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
I wonder if he's going to call out his meniscus for not playing hard enough.

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
I wonder if he's going to call out his meniscus for not playing hard enough.
"One of these knees came to play today."

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Do players hold press conferences to announce that they are injured?

I think Gerald might be hanging 'em up. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:09:35 PM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
Maybe after surgery and rehab he comes back strong next season.

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Hope he comes back soon and better than ever!

At least he doesn't have to play with the unnecessary hate comments by this team's fans.

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
To be medically retired you need two different doctors to rule you cannot play basketball anymore. One of those is going to be hired by the Insurance company almost assuredly.

Unless his contract is one of the ones excluded by the insurance company the league hires then his salary is covered by the insurance company. Medical retirement also grants a team cap relief.

That's why Portland was p---ed at the C's for looking at Darius Miles, they thought it was a cynical move to cost them cap space they'd gained from his medical retirement. Eventually he played enough in Memphis I think to cause Portland to lose that cap space.
Yeah I think you are remembering that situation correctly.  Nobody really medically retires.  It's exceptionally rare.  Wallace is young enough that he'll just milk Boston for a couple more seasons and then probably have a few more years as a journeyman.