Author Topic: Rajon Rondo:Built for halfcourt basketball  (Read 8562 times)

Rajon Rondo:Built for halfcourt basketball
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:15:10 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Before all you RR lovers get upset, I'm not hatin' on the guy! I truly like Rajon. This has nothing to do with him being hurt for the past year. Ask yourself a question, though--How often does Rondo REALLY PUSH THE BALL UPCOURT?
Heck these first two games back he really reminds me of----well--Jordan Crawford! Letting the ball roll to save a couple of seconds(while the defense thanks him so they can get set up!), then picks it up and walks it up, hand held up calling a set play! What, 8/9 out of 10 times?
Now, with RA,PP, & KG halfcourt BB was the way to go--those guys just weren't running! But our current squad is built for it! Not comparing the game of the two by any stretch, but Phil Pressey pushes it up almost every time, and then will stop if nothing is developing.
RR can be, and often is, a one man fastbreak! When you truly think about how often we actually run fastbreak BB with him on the court, however, I think you'll conclude it is not very often.
RR is highly intelligent, analytical, and calculating--all great qualities for a PG, but he needs to put this team, and himself, in a higher gear for THIS TEAM to succeed.
(also in the past, we were a terrible rebounding team, which really limited our running opportunites.  This year, with Hump, Sully and even BB we're clearing those boards with regularity.)

Re: Rajon Rondo:Built for halfcourt basketball
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:46:24 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Great point but this is not news. This tendency of him dribbling the ball until the shot clock expires was brought up last year when we had our fair share of losing streaks.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 07:51:46 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
He's not built for half court ball, he's been trained that way from years playing with the Big 3. I suppose it will take time to get running like he did when he first entered the league.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:33:58 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
Saw an article around 2008 after the title and it was about other coaches marveling at the Celts fundamentals and adherence to the play. A combination of savy vets and a PG who could put the ball exactly where the vets  said they wanted it was mentioned as a great attribute.

Unplug the receivers and it all falls apart.  What was a beauty of call,pass (off ball movement and fakes and or picks) until the spot appeared. The dicipline was quite impressive., has become painful to watch which is why it cannot be run. Rondo is way out of sync and shape and demanding folks run the play. If anyone cheats or doesn't sell or commit it fails if it is executed exactly as it's designed it should work. The pounding is as much a reflection of what the receivers are doing as it is R.R. I only ever saw him look off Ray Allen when he hit his spot.

He isn't running now because he shouldn't be. It's 2 games into his "live" rehab.

I think Rondo thinks he's smarter than Stevens and his braniac sidekick combined and he's probably right. He's the floor general and he's just meeting his troops for real. His input to Danny will have more weight than Stevens cuz he's been there and done that. Whomever isn't able to sell it and leave it all on the court exactly the way it was drawn will be gone.

Remember the leaked story about Rondo's explosion during the Clip drama ...which turned out to be from years earlier? That was when Celts gave in and let Doc join CP3. I think R.R. would love to throttle Doc's team more than get a ring. Which way would be the fastest to do that in Green? I think R.R. is onboard with "it" and is rehabbing and evaluating. Getting booted in the 1st rd ......not the plan. R.R. is not going anywhere. He's kept his hole shut about everything including Ray and Doc and contracts and has acted like a man who can be a leader. I don't think that task is the first one being put on him.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I certainly don't think Rondo has leverage on Stevens with Ainge. Ainge is a smart man, he knows that is a mistake to allow.

I do agree Rondo is also really smart. He knows what he needs to do to be the Captain. He learned from a darn good one, one who had similar 'issues' when he was younger.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One other thing to consider--he's recovering from an ACL tear.

You can't reasonably expect him to be going full speed when he's still on a minutes restriction and shaking the rust off.

Now, if he's still playing like this in the middle of March, then I think there's a legitimate critique to be made.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:31:09 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Rondo pounding the ball is part of the master plan
WE NEED EMBIID

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLME8J7gYrM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2EcpWe3uv0

You can kind of see how often he does/doesn't walk the ball in a few instances.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:55:22 AM by sed522002 »

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
While that clip's up.

I was driving home during the game last night, so I caught the last quarter on the radio. What happened on that last play?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
He cost me big money , I had the games total to go over 195, guy sucked the life out of me and the clock.

I honestly think rondos bought into the lose games for a high lottery pick. We've played great for stretches and the just shut it down late.

We find ways to lose.

N find ways to lose me about 2grand smh.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
While that clip's up.

I was driving home during the game last night, so I caught the last quarter on the radio. What happened on that last play?

Green: “I was supposed to come off and shoot a 3, but Big Baby (Glen Davis) came out. I tried to get a driving lane, didn’t have it. They collapsed in the paint, I tried to kick it out for Avery. But there wasn’t enough time.”

More Stevens: “I thought Jeff had a good shot that he passed up. We probably didn’t hold our screen long enough on it, but if he decides to drive, then people got to reasonable spacing. Avery didn’t quite get to the 3-point line, but reasonable spacing. And the right move when you’re double-teamed on a baseline drive is to either throw it behind or throw a baseline drift pass. Avery fumbled it a little bit, (Tobias) Harris was closing out on him and he didn’t get a shot off.”

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/01/avery_bradley_jeff_green_descr.html

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He cost me big money , I had the games total to go over 195, guy sucked the life out of me and the clock.

I honestly think rondos bought into the lose games for a high lottery pick. We've played great for stretches and the just shut it down late.

We find ways to lose.

N find ways to lose me about 2grand smh.
Don't blame the players for your gambling problems lol.

The C's are a solid defensive team and a crappy offensive team, betting the over at all is questionable any night. Let alone when we're working Rondo back into things.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 09:54:50 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
While that clip's up.

Green: “I was supposed to come off and shoot a 3, but Big Baby (Glen Davis) came out. I tried to get a driving lane, didn’t have it. They collapsed in the paint, I tried to kick it out for Avery. But there wasn’t enough time.”

More Stevens: “I thought Jeff had a good shot that he passed up. We probably didn’t hold our screen long enough on it, but if he decides to drive, then people got to reasonable spacing. Avery didn’t quite get to the 3-point line, but reasonable spacing. And the right move when you’re double-teamed on a baseline drive is to either throw it behind or throw a baseline drift pass. Avery fumbled it a little bit, (Tobias) Harris was closing out on him and he didn’t get a shot off.”

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/01/avery_bradley_jeff_green_descr.html

TP.

seemed like we let another one slip away.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What a shocker, Rondo isn't exactly scintillating in his first two games back from a major knee injury.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
While that clip's up.

TP.

seemed like we let another one slip away.

we're going to be saying that a lot with team..lol