Author Topic: Sullinger Arrested in Domestic Incident  (Read 104524 times)

Re: Sullinger Arrested in Domestic Incident
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
Unless these charges get dropped altogether, the clock should be ticking on him to go.  Too bad.  Didnt the Red Sox sign a guy a few years back with a history of DV and he was probably the most hated local athlete at the time?  To its credit, the city doesnt tolerate scumbag behavior from its sports stars very well.  Bad timing for this with the Hernandez stuff not too far behind either.

Wil Cordero?
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Say what you want about waiting to get all the info, but what is already out there is enough.

So, why wait for all the info when you can be first in line to convict?

Did you read the police report?  Even if you assume that it's completely true (which I don't), don't you think there are some gaps?

Like, don't you think this can be read multiple ways?

The two argued verbally, and the argument intensified when Smith started packing up her belongings, according to the report.

“During this heated argument in the bedroom, Jared pushed her down onto the bed and got on top of her. Deann states she tried several times to get up, but he kept pinning her down and would not let her up,’’ Waltham police wrote in the report.

Does it make sense that Sullinger went from packing her stuff, to just pushing her down?  Or, could it possibly be that she physically tried to stop him?  Is their room in your imagination for her to have initiated physical contact, when she says things got more "heated"?

In a lot of situations, pinning somebody down can be an appropriate response.  She admits to being the one who "confronted" Sullinger.  She admits that the argument escalated when he asked her to leave the home.  Should we automatically assume, though, that his pinning her down (if it happened) was domestic violence?  Couldn't it just as easily be self-defense?

Maybe Sully is a scum bag.  Maybe he's got an anger management problem.  Or maybe, he found himself in an argument with a scorned woman who was upset that Sully had possibly cheated on her, and was now kicking her out of the house.  There are multiple scenarios that could lead to Sully pinning down a woman, and not all of them involve him being in the wrong.

Thus, why I'm waiting for all of the facts.  (Unfortunately, we'll never see this case go to trial, as the prosecution will quietly plead down the charges.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Unless these charges get dropped altogether, the clock should be ticking on him to go.  Too bad.  Didnt the Red Sox sign a guy a few years back with a history of DV and he was probably the most hated local athlete at the time?  To its credit, the city doesnt tolerate scumbag behavior from its sports stars very well.  Bad timing for this with the Hernandez stuff not too far behind either.

Wil Cordero?

Julio Lugo, too. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 384
Sorry....but I'm more worried about his Trade Value now.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 451
Lot's of self righteous judgmental people in this thread ::).  We've all done stupid things and regretted it.  I guarantee a similar thing happened somewhere else in the world and no one gives two rips about it.  He made a mistake, he apologized, he's gonna have to deal with it.  Move on.

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Say what you want about waiting to get all the info, but what is already out there is enough.

Did you read the police report?  Even if you assume that it's completely true (which I don't), don't you think there are some gaps?

The two argued verbally, and the argument intensified when Smith started packing up her belongings, according to the report.

“During this heated argument in the bedroom, Jared pushed her down onto the bed and got on top of her. Deann states she tried several times to get up, but he kept pinning her down and would not let her up,’’ Waltham police wrote in the report.

Does it make sense that Sullinger went from packing her stuff, to just pushing her down?  Or, could it possibly be that she physically tried to stop him?  Is their room in your imagination for her to have initiated physical contact, when she says things got more "heated"?

In a lot of situations, pinning somebody down can be an appropriate response.  She admits to being the one who "confronted" Sullinger.  She admits that the argument escalated when he asked her to leave the home.  Should we automatically assume, though, that his pinning her down (if it happened) was domestic violence?  Couldn't it just as easily be self-defense?

Maybe Sully is a scum bag.  Maybe he's got an anger management problem.  Or maybe, he found himself in an argument with a scorned woman who was upset that Sully had possibly cheated on her, and was now kicking her out of the house.  There are multiple scenarios that could lead to Sully pinning down a woman, and not all of them involve him being in the wrong.

Thus, why I'm waiting for all of the facts.  (Unfortunately, we'll never see this case go to trial, as the prosecution will quietly plead down the charges.)

Agreed with Roy 100%

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Minor but maybe important point - according to your quote, and the police report, Sully's girlfriend was the one packing up her belongings to leave, not Sully.  It changes the tenor of the situation considerably if she was trying to leave and he stopped her, versus him trying to throw her out.

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15

Wil Cordero?

That's him.  And let's not forget what C's fans did to Kidd after his DV problems.  Like I said I hope this gets dropped and reports are exaggerated/false. 

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Uh Oh..and they got RID of TERRANCE WILLIAMS.....gotta watch that stuff..!!! We can still re sign him....for short money..!!!

« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I just want to say thanks, Roy, for offering not just this, but several (imho) level headed comments on the situation.

Folks need to just step back for a moment and put the pitchforks down.  Let the process take care of itself.    There are clearly a ton of unknowns at this point so rushing to judgement is simply reflecting more on the character of the prejudiced than on the character of Sully or his girlfriend.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think you are reading the report wrong Roy. It states the defendent was packing her bags and Sullinger stopped her and pushed her to the bed. It doesn't state Sully was packing her bags for her

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think you are reading the report wrong Roy. It states the defendent was packing her bags and Sullinger stopped her and pushed her to the bed. It doesn't state Sully was packing her bags for her

Yeah, I misread it.  That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of blanks in the police report, though.  I think it's way too early to hear only one side of a story (reported 10 hours after an incident), and determine that that's the only one, true objective truth.

« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Note to NBA athletes - When you find yourself in a domestic argument, leave immediately. Check into a hotel, and shut off your cell phone for the night.  Let cooler heads prevail. 

Note two to NBA athletes - get a separate, secret cell phone for your side pieces.  Don't let your main GF/wife ever find out about it. 

« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »

Offline celticdog

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 28
I'm not defending Sully at all but, what did you think his girlfriend do that ticked off Jared?

He always seemed like a nice guy with a good head on his shoulders.

You may not be "defending" Sully but you sure seem like you're blaming his girlfriend...  let's just wait to hear the facts before engaging in any idle speculation.

That's why I said in the same post. "We don't know the full details yet."

Domestic violence is always a 2 way street.

I have a hard time believing that a person with a good solid upbringing would just wake up one day and assault someone, for no reason, let alone his girlfriend. So we're missing a lot of the story here.

It's best to wait for the full story.

Domestic violence is not "always a two way street". 

« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah, I misread it.  That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of blanks in the police report, though.  I think it's way too early to hear only one side of a story (reported 10 hours after an incident), and determine that that's the only one, true objective truth.
Kind [dang]ing that 10 hours later she still had red marks on her chest. Not a positive for Sully.

I will say having my wife come home and tell me story after story of scumbags beating their wives for a decade or having to console her because one of her victims got murdered or because she had to care for and place some kids after a domestic murder, has given me clear bias against men in these situations.

Sorry, but that's not going to change.