Author Topic: Sullinger Arrested in Domestic Incident  (Read 104489 times)

Re: Sullinger Arrested in Domestic Incident
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I love how they use "domestic situation". I personally think this will amount to nothing. But we'll see.

I agree with this. I just think his girlfriend and him just got into a very big fight, and Sully started breaking things. And as most of you already said, police usually gets DV wrong the first time. I really hope this is just a bad fight and nothing more, because I really like Sully :(

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 09:39:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
[dang] it sully

Can nba players be suspended for this?

If so KO could be our opening day starting PF

KO may have been headed in that direction anyway. Stevens is going to want to do his best to win.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
WALTHAM, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – Boston Celtics forward Jared Sullinger was arrested following a domestic situation over the weekend with his girlfriend.

Police said Sullinger arrived at the police station 6 a.m. Tuesday to turn himself in.

Sullinger is charged with assault and battery, malicious destruction of property and witness intimidation.

According to police, the incident happened early Saturday evening.

Sullinger is due in Waltham District Court Tuesday.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/23323181/celtics-sullinger-arrested-following-domestic-situation-with-girlfriend

I'm curious to see the details, and whether there are any injuries.  At least in my jurisdiction, DV is the most over-charged crime there is; it's the one crime I see where the cops don't get it right a lot of the time.

Injuries shouldn't be required for this to be a real crime. My WAG about destruction of  property is going to be a cell phone, but A&B and witness intimidation are both significant.

Wait and see without rush to judgment is absolutely fair, but casting preemptive doubt on the police isn't really fair either.

Who "cast preemptive doubt"?

In most crimes, you know a defendant is probably guilty the vast majority of the time.  The one area where that's not necessarily the case, in my experience, is domestic violence.  I think a lot of times people are arrested and charged in those cases based upon "he said, she said" allegations.

That's why I asked to see the details.  And yes, physical injuries are a piece of evidence that needs to be examined before rushing to judgment.  (I had a client who was arrested for felony domestic violence, along with six other charges, for allegedly hitting his ex-girlfriend in the knee with a sledgehammer.  This, despite no physical injuries.  When the words "domestic violence" are uttered, a lot of normally sane LEOs and prosecutors go temporarily insane.)

Sully very well may be guilty here.  Until I see more, though, I'd say it's a coin flip situation, whereas in other cases I'd be assuming that there was most likely guilty just because he was arrested.)

With all due respect, Roy, if you're a criminal defense attorney who defends domestic violence cases, you might have a hard time seeing the dynamic objectively.

All too often DV ends up in situations like the Jared Remy case--which also occurred in Waltham, MA.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
WALTHAM, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – Boston Celtics forward Jared Sullinger was arrested following a domestic situation over the weekend with his girlfriend.

Police said Sullinger arrived at the police station 6 a.m. Tuesday to turn himself in.

Sullinger is charged with assault and battery, malicious destruction of property and witness intimidation.

According to police, the incident happened early Saturday evening.

Sullinger is due in Waltham District Court Tuesday.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/23323181/celtics-sullinger-arrested-following-domestic-situation-with-girlfriend

I'm curious to see the details, and whether there are any injuries.  At least in my jurisdiction, DV is the most over-charged crime there is; it's the one crime I see where the cops don't get it right a lot of the time.

Injuries shouldn't be required for this to be a real crime. My WAG about destruction of  property is going to be a cell phone, but A&B and witness intimidation are both significant.

Wait and see without rush to judgment is absolutely fair, but casting preemptive doubt on the police isn't really fair either.

Who "cast preemptive doubt"?

In most crimes, you know a defendant is probably guilty the vast majority of the time.  The one area where that's not necessarily the case, in my experience, is domestic violence.  I think a lot of times people are arrested and charged in those cases based upon "he said, she said" allegations.

That's why I asked to see the details.  And yes, physical injuries are a piece of evidence that needs to be examined before rushing to judgment.  (I had a client who was arrested for felony domestic violence, along with six other charges, for allegedly hitting his ex-girlfriend in the knee with a sledgehammer.  This, despite no physical injuries.  When the words "domestic violence" are uttered, a lot of normally sane LEOs and prosecutors go temporarily insane.)

Sully very well may be guilty here.  Until I see more, though, I'd say it's a coin flip situation, whereas in other cases I'd be assuming that there was most likely guilty just because he was arrested.)

With all due respect, Roy, if you're a criminal defense attorney who defends domestic violence cases, you might have a hard time seeing the dynamic objectively.

All too often DV ends up in situations like the Jared Remy case--which also occurred in Waltham, MA.

With all due respect, being a criminal defense attorney has given me insight into domestic violence cases that a lot of other people might not have.

I defend all kinds of cases, from OUIs to extremely serious felonies.  Out of that broad range of cases, domestic violence cases are the only ones where charges are brought with flimsy evidence with regularity.

The police and prosecutors oftentimes take a "better safe than sorry" approach with DV cases, and cases like the Remy case only heighten that.  We sort of end up with a "one size fits all" approach, assuming that all alleged perpetrators of domestic violence are guilty.  That being the case, and having seen some of the really weak cases brought to trial for PR reasons, I generally take these allegations with a grain of salt until I actually see some evidence. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Jay O. ‏@MrTrpleDouble10 1m
Callahan on WEEI: "What we're hearing, it's not going to be pretty (for Sullinger)." Also said the details will be a lot more "graphic." Ugh

Oh my..it's sounding like this may be worse than T Will's situation.

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 10:01:17 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3069
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Callahan on WEEI: "What we're hearing, it's not going to be pretty (for Sullinger)." Also said the details will be a lot more "graphic." Ugh

Oh boy what did I wake up to?!?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Awesome way to start the year.

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:04 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

Oh boy what did I wake up to?!?

I'm still asking myself that.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Definitely sounds like a bad situation

Looks like a top 5 pick has a very strong chance of happening

Sucks, because I really liked sully, but if true he should be punished with pay checks and games, if not more...

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 10:13:26 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

Sucks, because I really liked sully, but if true he should be punished with pay checks and games, if not more...

If he's guilty, let's hope he's punished with more. (But judgment suspended.)

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

he's 21! he should stop acting like a kid. He is a professional now. Love the kid, but I agree. If true, he should be punished by games and paychecks.

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:52 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Am I the only one shocked and disappointed? He seems to be the last guy to get into this kind of stuff. Seems to be a sensible, intelligent kid.

Hopefully it's just kneejerk by the police, as some have suggested.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 10:33:22 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Upsetting, but we don't know the full details yet.

So, easy on the judgment, he could be guilty, or this all could just an argument overblown.

I'm not defending Sully at all but, what did you think his girlfriend do that ticked off Jared?

He always seemed like a nice guy with a good head on his shoulders.

Worst. Off-season. Ever.

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 10:35:19 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'm not defending Sully at all but, what did you think his girlfriend do that ticked off Jared?

He always seemed like a nice guy with a good head on his shoulders.

You may not be "defending" Sully but you sure seem like you're blaming his girlfriend...  let's just wait to hear the facts before engaging in any idle speculation.

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 10:37:31 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3069
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
BOSTON (CBS) – Boston Celtics forward Jared Sullinger was arrested Tuesday on charges of assault and battery for an alleged incident involving his girlfriend.

Sullinger, 21, turned himself into Waltham police at 6 a.m. after a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Police told WBZ-TV Sullinger is charged with assault and battery, malicious destruction of property and intimidation of a witness for an incident that happened at the home he shares with his girlfriend on Saturday, August 31.

Police said the victim is his girlfriend and that she is o.k.   She was not taken to a hospital.

No other information is available at this point in the investigation.

Sullinger will be arraigned Tuesday at Waltham District Court.

He is going into his second year with the Celtics.  He averaged 6 points and nearly 6 rebounds per game last year as a rookie, but his season was cut short by back surgery after just 45 games.

Sullinger was a first round draft pick out of Ohio State in 2012.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/09/03/jared-sullinger-arrested-for-assaulting-girlfriend-in-waltham-home/

This sounds all too familiar you always hear it something to the sort of GF caught cheating the guy slaps/shoves her, maybe he didnt catch her in the act but through her phone malicious destruction of property? Could that be breaking her cellphone?

I'm just speculating over here whatever the case nothing justifies him putting his hands on her
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk