Author Topic: A Perkins Trade Idea That Makes A Little Sense  (Read 5516 times)

Re: A Perkins Trade Idea That Makes A Little Sense
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
No, Perkins no longer has a role on this team. Time to speed up this roster, and we're well on our way to doing just that.
Yeah that's how I see it. We are moving to an uptempo system. I love Perkins, but he doesn't fit with our goals.
In an uptempo system you still need people to help you get stops rebound the ball and make good outlet passes, because it is difficult to run when you are taking the ball out of your own basket.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 05:01:37 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
Why we would have any desire whatsoever to reacquire the rotting, fetid corpse of Kendrick Perkins, let alone his outsized contract, escapes me.

Trading for overpriced alleged "fan favorites" makes Pitino look like Red Auerbach.

Terrible idea.

This is a very short sited thing to say.

As a pure cap move it makes a ton of sense to get two veteran contract off the books quicker.

As a rotational roster move it makes a ton of sense because it frees up minutes at SG for Brooks and Crawford and at PF for Sully and Olynyk. While filling the biggest roster hole at center.

As a franchise it makes a ton of sense because he is our stars friend, and gives a young team a tough defensive minded veteran presence who is used to winning. Basically the closest thing you can get to keeping KG's positive presence while still lottery fishing. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 05:53:32 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
If we getting perkin than you must throw in crawford and we better getting back a pick or two, I all for danny taking getting crap contracts but we must get payed young players and pick wise
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:26:09 PM by goCeltics »

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
that would give us a 10 mil expiring contract at this deadline (Humphries), a 10 mil expiring contract the next deadline (Perkins), and a 10 mil expiring contract the year after that (Wallace).   At any time over the next few years if we need a big expiring contract to combine with assets and land an impact player... we'd have it.

I'd do this.  COuldn't hurt.

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I would like the trade but not sure that OKC would want to loose perks size and replace him in the rotation with Bass?

I also was wondering to myself if a Humphires for Perk and a pick trade could be worked out. This would at least give OKC a volume rebounder in their big man rotation.

I think Humphries (expiring) and a pick for Perk's contract is a fair deal that makes sense for both sides. Although I admit to twinges of nostalgia, Perk's contract is AWFUL. So we should st something for taking it on.

I like that idea, but I think you should try to get something better for taking Perk's awful contract.

Humphries+China Boys for Perk+PJ3+OKC's 2017 top 10 protected pick could work for both teams.

OKC gets probably the best player (given Perk's condition after injuries) in Humphries, who is also an expiring, and the China Boys can be cut or give them some end of the bench bodies. Humphries on a year contract could help them now, and they keep Lamb who could help their bench now that Kevin Martin will be gone.

The Cs get fan favorite Perk on terrible contract, but they get "potential" in PJ3, and what could become a good pick (in the teens) in 2017. If OKC is so bad by then that the pick gets protected, it could roll a year or two, or be swapped for 2 second rounders.

That could be fair for both teams, and I'd do it.

I think we can both agree that a package of Perkins + for Humphries is a fair deal. The question is the value of the +.

Humphries was like a +19.5 PER in 2011/2012, and like a +5 PER in 2012/2013. Hard to know his value. He would offer a good rebounder for OKC (he was close to the best in the league in 2012) but he is not a good defensive player. With Westbrook out, doesn't OKC look to shore up it's half court game? If so, I would rather have a good rebounder than a good defensive player. Don't lose offensive possessions - right?

We have no need at all for Perkins [EDIT] from a basketball perspective. Lottery teams don't need elite post defensive play, which is basically Perk's big asset.

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 07:33:32 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Why we would have any desire whatsoever to reacquire the rotting, fetid corpse of Kendrick Perkins, let alone his outsized contract, escapes me.

Trading for overpriced alleged "fan favorites" makes Pitino look like Red Auerbach.

Terrible idea.

This is a very short sited thing to say.

As a pure cap move it makes a ton of sense to get two veteran contract off the books quicker.

As a rotational roster move it makes a ton of sense because it frees up minutes at SG for Brooks and Crawford and at PF for Sully and Olynyk. While filling the biggest roster hole at center.

As a franchise it makes a ton of sense because he is our stars friend, and gives a young team a tough defensive minded veteran presence who is used to winning. Basically the closest thing you can get to keeping KG's positive presence while still lottery fishing.

We aren't collecting binkys - Rondo's or the plethora of fans who simply can't fathom why their favorites aren't worth squat anymore.

Perkins was traded for a reason - he is overpriced and his career is in a free-fall.

Because you and other people love him is truly the short-sighted view of this ridiculous trade suggestion., notwithstanding the inexplicable and totally indefensible desire of several blog posters to reassemble the 2007 steaming pile of dung we called a Celtics team.

Perkins is done. Finished. Trading any asset to reacquire him is the height of lunacy.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 07:41:20 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
We have no need at all for Perkins [EDIT] from a basketball perspective. Lottery teams don't need elite post defensive play, which is basically Perk's big asset.

Lottery teams could still at least use some adequate post defensive play.  Or maybe the Celtics should just go with a team built for smallball.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Perkins is done. Finished. Trading any asset to reacquire him is the height of lunacy.

What about accepting his corpse if it saves a little short-term money and gives the Celtics some assets like some future second-round picks?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

Lottery teams could still at least use some adequate post defensive play.  Or maybe the Celtics should just go with a team built for smallball.

I disagree. A lottery team doesn't need an elite defensive post player. Only a contender needs that. If it - essentially doesn't matter if you win or not - why play much defense? Just put on a show man! He'd be like the one guy trying on D. Everyone else just gambles for steals/blocks. Playing man is hard work, it's boring  and complicated - and it's only interesting for the top 5% of basketball fans to watch.

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 07:51:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, Perkins is damaged goods.  I do not want him back in any form. Danny got rid of him at the right time.  He has not been the same since.

I do not think DA cares if someone is a fan favorite or not, folks.  Get real and grown up, he will trade anyone to make the team better.   Perk does not do that.  I am not high on Oly but I think he has better years ahead of him than Perk.

A lottery team doesn't need an elite defensive post player.

I know he is not an elite defensive post player and I question that he ever was elite.   He was a good defensive player but elite is too high.   Now he is nigh a cripple.

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton

I disagree. A lottery team doesn't need an elite defensive post player. Only a contender needs that. If it - essentially doesn't matter if you win or not - why play much defense? Just put on a show man! He'd be like the one guy trying on D. Everyone else just gambles for steals/blocks. Playing man is hard work, it's boring  and complicated - and it's only interesting for the top 5% of basketball fans to watch.

Don't get me wrong - I would prefer Perk to Humphries. I'm just trying to think why OKC parts with more than a pick for him. 

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 07:56:06 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1823
I wouldn't trade Humphries for Perk.

Humphries needs to be traded for a better expiring or for a player we can use to build our future or collect assets. Getting Perk doesn't fulfill any of those requirements.

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
I wouldn't trade Humphries for Perk.

Humphries needs to be traded for a better expiring or for a player we can use to build our future or collect assets. Getting Perk doesn't fulfill any of those requirements.

I would rather watch Bass play than Humphries. And I would rather see Perk applaud from the bench than Humphries.

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
Reasons:
1. For a contract that is more oversized (or two contracts that total a more oversized contract)
2. Veteran leadership
3. Nostalgia
4. Since we don't have a legit center on our team.

THIS

Make the guy you claim to be building around/with happy,give Perk a change of scenery.

Makes way more sense than some of the ludicrous trade ideas being thrown around here in my opinion

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I miss Krook's trade ideas.

Not dismissing tha OP's but I don't see Perk fitting into what tha C's are doing. I get tha part about leadership and no starting center but to me it would probably make a little more sense if KG was still here to spare him some and/or to slide him back at PF.
Loyalty Is Royalty