Author Topic: Best Case Scenario  (Read 2738 times)

Best Case Scenario
« on: June 20, 2013, 03:38:44 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's late.  I'm losing my mind.  Feel free to add your slightly plausible ideas.

Assuming we trade KG/Doc for DeAndre and two late 1st rounders...

I like the idea of sending DeAndre to Portland for the #10 pick (i've been told they need a center and can absorb his salary)

Then trade Pierce to Dallas for Marion, Carter (both expiring) and the #14.   

Dallas buys out Pierce...

Pierce signs with the Clippers.

Boston trades Rondo to Orlando on draft night for Turkaglu's expiring contract, the #2 pick and Tobias Harris.

Boston takes Nerlens Noel with the #2 pick.

Dallas signs Dwight Howard and then Chris Paul stabs the Clippers in the back by joining Dwight on the Mavs.   LOLWUT.  Clips fans nod their head knowingly ... call it "Elton Brand 2.0" 

Boston signs Greg Oden... Both Noel and Oden sit out half the season getting into game condition...

KG retires for the Clippers mid-season.  Pierce plays out the season at home in LA.  Season is a disaster.  Future Clippers 1st becomes relevant.  Doc retires to become a broadcaster.

The baby Celtics (Noel, the #10, the #14, the #16, the #25) finish the season at the bottom of the standings. 

2014:  Draft Wiggins.  Hire Bird as coach.  Sign free agent Pierce with the vet min to act as mentor off the bench during his final season.  Hire retired KG as a big man coach.  Hire retired Ray as shooting coach.  Noel and Oden both live up to the hype and become the greatest frontline in the history of the game.  Wiggins is the greatest Celtic to ever live.   All the rookies pan out into future stahs.  Use cap space to sign LeBron to be Wiggins' side kick... Boston fans embrace him.  Celtics win 82 games 20 years in a row.  Fin.

Tankapolooza baby!  It's back!  The days of irrational Hope are here again!

Re: Best Case Scenario
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 03:49:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Pierce, KG, and Doc hijack their cross-country flight to retire in NBA Valhalla, now located at the heart of the Democratic Dennis Rodman Republic of North Korea.

Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully, and DeAndre become the first NBA team in league history to make the playoffs without hitting a single jumpshot or free throw. Their assistant coach, former Celtic champion Don Nelson, calls the system Two Seconds or Less.

Southern California falls into the sea, like the mystics and statistics say it will. No one is injured, but the Clippers and Lakers are forced to play out their season in an Emergency Arena in Seattle.

A season later, Chris Hansen buys both franchises and combines their respective rosters into the Seattle SuperSonics, who proceed to beat the Thunder in the Western Semi's every round from now until the end of time. The Thunder never win a championship.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 03:55:13 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Here´s my slightly plausible idea.

We accumulate "assets", retain flexibility, and strike when the opportunity arises.

Celtics win 98 games 20 years in a row.  Fin.

Fixed.

In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:31:32 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Spurs win Game 7, Lebron cries, Ray Allen shamefully admits he gave away his free throw shooting Game 7 of ECF in 2012 just to be with Lebron and retires permanently after growing bones spurs the size of his fist.

Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:45:24 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
KG/Doc to Clippers for DeAndre Jordan and two firsts, let's say 2014 and 2016

Celtics waive Paul Pierce, putting them far enough under the apron to do a sign-and-trade and to use the full MLE

Celtics acquire Paul Millsap via sign-and-trade, sending out Courtney Lee, Jordan Crawford, and the worst of the two 2014 first-round picks the Celtics own

The Celtics sign Elton Brand using the full MLE

The Celtics use the BAE on a back-up for Bradley who can make threes and play defense against taller SGs, maybe Daequan Cook

The Celtics find a veteran PG for the minimum who can start at the beginning of the season and shift to a back-up role when Rondo is healthy.  Maybe a guy like Earl Watson or Daniel Gibson could be available.

This has the Celtics with a roster of;

Rondo, Watson, T. Williams
Bradley, Terry, Cook
Green
Millsap, Bass, Sullinger, Randolph
Jordan, Brand, Melo, White

In October, Sacramento decides it doesn't want to overpay Demarcus Cousins while trying to negotiate an extension and decides to go the OKC route and deal him the way the Thunder dealt the Beardman.  Harden basically went for Kevin Martin, a rookie, two firsts, and a second.  So, Cousins and John Salmons for Jordan, Sullinger, the rookie drafted by the Celtics this summer, the Celtics' other 2014 pick, and the worst of their two 2016 first-round picks.  DJ White and Terrence Williams are either included or waived.  One or more second-round picks may be included.

The Celtics now look like:
Rondo, Watson, Terry
Bradley, Cook
Green, Salmons
Millsap, Bass, Randolph
Cousins, Brand, Melo

This gives the Celtics 13 players under contract for maybe $60-63 million.  Fill out the roster with D-Leaguers or undrafted free agents.

Cousins proves me wrong about my concerns that he is a knucklehead who should be avoided.

Despite no first-round picks in 2014, the Celtics have the expiring contracts of John Salmons, Brandon Bass, and Jason Terry to play with.  Ainge figures out a way to turn some of that into an overpaid but useful player and a young asset.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 04:50:33 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Celtics waive Paul Pierce, putting them far enough under the apron to do a sign-and-trade and to use the full MLE

Celtics acquire Paul Millsap via sign-and-trade, sending out Courtney Lee, Jordan Crawford, and the worst of the two 2014 first-round picks the Celtics own

The Celtics use the BAE on a back-up for Bradley who can make threes and play defense against taller SGs, maybe Daequan Cook

The Celtics find a veteran PG for the minimum who can start at the beginning of the season and shift to a back-up role when Rondo is healthy.  Maybe a guy like Earl Watson or Daniel Gibson could be available.

Bradley, Terry, Cook
Green

In October, Sacramento decides it doesn't want to overpay Demarcus Cousins while trying to negotiate an extension and decides to go the OKC route and deal him the way the Thunder dealt the Beardman.  Harden basically went for Kevin Martin, a rookie, two firsts, and a second.  So, Cousins and John Salmons for Jordan, Sullinger, the rookie drafted by the Celtics this summer, the Celtics' other 2014 pick, and the worst of their two 2016 first-round picks.  DJ White and Terrence Williams are either included or waived.  One or more second-round picks may be included.

Rondo, Watson, Terry
Bradley, Cook
Green, Salmons
Millsap, Bass, Randolph
Cousins, Brand, Melo

This gives the Celtics 13 players under contract for maybe $60-63 million.  Fill out the roster with D-Leaguers or undrafted free agents.

Cousins proves me wrong about my concerns that he is a knucklehead who should be avoided.

Despite no first-round picks in 2014, the Celtics have the expiring contracts of John Salmons, Brandon Bass, and Jason Terry to play with.  Ainge figures out a way to turn some of that into an overpaid but useful player and a young asset.
You built yourself a solid 35 win team.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 04:54:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Bradley, Terry, Cook
Green

Rondo, Watson, Terry
Bradley, Cook
Green, Salmons
Millsap, Bass, Randolph
Cousins, Brand, Melo

The Raptors and 76ers were 34-win teams this past season.  I think I've built at least a solid 45-win team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 05:02:17 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I think it would be better than that, but it's definitely not going to be a legit title contender IMO.

If we are going to do this, we gotta do it right.  We need to do a scorched earth rebuild that ends with us in the lotto next year.  I'd still like to move Rondo to get us another unprotected pick in next years draft. 

No half-assing.  I'd rather bring back PP, KG, and company have a nostalgia tour than watch a bunch of retreads get knocked out of the first round.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 06:10:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
without Larry Bird to save us...I fear the worst .....Rivers has drug this team down into the stone age , with the assistance of Danny.  He has been allowed to clean out the Celtics of good players and coaches .

Rivers should be made to take a seat in the TV booth every night for three yrs.

Another 35 years and the Celtics will hang banner 18.....

It all about making CP3 a champion ...who cares about the Celtics.....lets not CP3 unhappy or make him move out of CA ...heaven forbid.

Best case ....CA drops into the sea.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:23:20 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
.Rivers has drug this team down into the stone age , with the assistance of Danny.  He has been allowed to clean out the Celtics of good players and coaches .

Rivers should be made to take a seat in the TV booth every night for three yrs.

This is what would have happened if we had run it back, about 10 years before contention.  Luckily, many of us live in something called reality.   

Good players that you claim are old and don't have the ability to close out games anymore.  Scoring in the fourth has been an issue since '10.   I get you have emotional attachments but your logic is based on emotion and not logical at all.  Our good players that you mention are not as productive as they once were, I think it sucks too but I loathe the alternative even more.  Growing old, mediocrity and showing nothing for it.   We are not the Spurs.

Rivers is easily to replace.   Flip Sanders made a career off KG too.   Rivers record prior to coming here was mediocre.   I think he was a great player coach but not so great X and O guy.

Without Trader Danny this resurgence would not have happened.   I salute the guy for the courage to not give into fans and do what is best for the team long term.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 07:50:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25593
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This is what would have happened if we had run it back, about 10 years before contention.  Luckily, many of us live in something called reality.

Reality?

Can you explain how running it back would take 10 years to rebuild a contender, but adding DeAndre Jordan and a couple of late picks substantially changes that outcome?

I personally don't think this trade will significantly speed up our return to contention. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If we are going to do this, we gotta do it right.  We need to do a scorched earth rebuild that ends with us in the lotto next year.  I'd still like to move Rondo to get us another unprotected pick in next years draft. 

I'm going to predict that Rondo will be better than whatever player the Celtics end up picking next season.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 10:44:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Reality?

Can you explain how running it back would take 10 years to rebuild a contender, but adding DeAndre Jordan and a couple of late picks substantially changes that outcome?

I personally don't think this trade will significantly speed up our return to contention.
You have to start at some point, starting one year sooner means you have another year of time to work with.

The worst case scenario was another year like this past year, a first round exit with a meh pick which really does do nothing but use up another year of Rondo's prime.

I don't love this deal, but I understand it. Maybe forcing Doc to go into broadcasting and trying to push KG to retirement is "better" in that we'd have more salary flexibility. But I'd rather if KG wants to play to let him play somewhere. Jordan and some draft picks is better than an expiring contract or worse longer term money.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
KG/Doc to the Clips for Deandre plus 2013 and 2015 first rounders. Hire a good coach who can develop kids, lose now but win when he has the pieces. No Vinnie please.

Pierce + unprotected 2015 Celtics first round pick to Orlando for Turkoglu+Quentin Richardson and this year's #2. Celtics pick Nerlens Noel and Orlando uses their tpe from Howard trade to get Josh Smith.

With their own pick, Celtics pick Shabazz, and then the highest potential available player with the Clips pick (Ledo?).

Celtics Trade

Trade QRich, Jordan Crawsome and DJ White for peanuts or cut them. Noel, Rondo and Sully play only after the All Star Game, so the Cs look like this before the All Star Game:

Bradley/TWill/Rondo-rehab
Lee/Terry/Ledo
Green/Shabazz/Turkoglu/
Humphries/Shav/Sully-rehab
Jordan/Melo/Noel-rehab

Developmental team, goes 16-32 before the All Star Game. We trade Humphries/Turkoglu at the deadline for trade exceptions or shorterm garbage plus picks/buy them out/let them expire. Bring back Rondo-Sully-Noel nicely so they get in shape and show their value, but still finish the season with a 13-21 record, for a total 29-53 and a good chance to get a top 10 pick, maybe better.

We win the lottery and get Wiggins  :P
Then trade Jordan + Ledo/Shabazz for LaMarcus Aldridge, who is tired of losing in Portland.

We start the 2014-2015 with a team like this

Rondo/Bradley/TWill
Wiggins/Lee/Shabazz or Ledo
Green/Shabazz or Ledo
Aldridge/Sully
Noel/Melo

Then, after winning the 2013-2014 NBA ring, the Clippers crumble, Garnett retires to go back to Boston as a bigmen coach, and Pierce is bought out/traded for Courtney Lee before the deadline to come off the bench and retire as a Celtic. The Clips 2015 pick is very good and we get Karl Towns Jr. a promising big who decided to stay another year in college.

Total pipedream, but if this happens Celtics win 8 in a row...again.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Reality?

Always tough to speculate.  Ainge will have 2 opportunities each draft though to speed it up even more if he hits with his picks.