Author Topic: To be a contender, sign two big centers in order to win in NBA  (Read 4747 times)

Re: To be a contender, sign two big centers in order to win in NBA
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Let's see, we were contenders last year (minutes away from the Finals) and we didn't have "two big centers"...

Now imagine where the team could have been if they had had that other big that year.

Or how quickly that series would have been over (4, 5 games max, but not the 6 it went) if Miami had had all 3 of their stars for the whole series.  The Bosh injury is the reason it looked more competitive than it probably should have been, sad to say.

There's no point in hypothesizing about "what ifs" like us having another big or Miami having a healthy Bosh. It was what it was: a game 7 loss for us.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Let's see, we were contenders last year (minutes away from the Finals) and we didn't have "two big centers"...

Now imagine where the team could have been if they had had that other big that year.

Or how quickly that series would have been over (4, 5 games max, but not the 6 it went) if Miami had had all 3 of their stars for the whole series.  The Bosh injury is the reason it looked more competitive than it probably should have been, sad to say.

The injuries to Green, Bradley and Wilcox was the only reason Miami was still in the series by the time Bosh got back.

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Russell did not play aside another C.  He had guys like Sanders and Tommy at forward not another C.  70's Celtics had Cowens with Paul Silas a 6'7" PF.  The 80's Celtics had Parish and McHale.   Kevin could play C but he was a PF.  The 80's Lakers had Kareem, Worth was not a C.  The Pistons rolled with Laimbeer and won a few but they had no big C to go with him.   The Bulls defy this theory as well.   Longley was a marginal player, Rodman only played on a few and he could guard C but was a PF.   The Lakers with Shaq did not have another interior player, Horry played outside.  It worked for Duncan and Robinson.  The HEAT do not use this and they did not use this when they won with Shaq and Wade.   Bynum and Gasol did well.   Perk and KG won one.  But if you know your NBA history this does not always work.   I can post many teams with 2 big C that never won or did little more than bounce out of the playoffs.   Yao Ming, Shawn Bradley all played with other bigs and nothing.

I am amazed as many supported this claim as they it shows a pathetic understanding of NBA history.  The Rockets did not really do well with twin towers.   They lost to us in 86.   The Robinson and Duncam thing worked.

Would it have helped us, I concur.   But a good three point shooting team will own an interior team most of the time.  Post play isn't as important as it once was folks.   

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
more than height and centers, it's always comes down to talent so i'm assuming the OP meant 2 talented bigs where at least one is in the range of "top 5 bigs in the league" and the rest of the team is filled out by very capable role players.

yes, i agree a team built around 2 complimentary big men will be better than a team built around 2 smalls or even 1big 1small. like, i think Shaq in his prime paired with KG in his prime would've been more dominant than Shaq in his prime and Kobe in his prime. does anyone else think this? lol
- LilRip

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Russell did not play aside another C.  He had guys like Sanders and Tommy at forward not another C.  70's Celtics had Cowens with Paul Silas a 6'7" PF.  The 80's Celtics had Parish and McHale.   Kevin could play C but he was a PF.  The 80's Lakers had Kareem, Worth was not a C.  The Pistons rolled with Laimbeer and won a few but they had no big C to go with him.   The Bulls defy this theory as well.   Longley was a marginal player, Rodman only played on a few and he could guard C but was a PF.   The Lakers with Shaq did not have another interior player, Horry played outside.  It worked for Duncan and Robinson.  The HEAT do not use this and they did not use this when they won with Shaq and Wade.   Bynum and Gasol did well.   Perk and KG won one.  But if you know your NBA history this does not always work.   I can post many teams with 2 big C that never won or did little more than bounce out of the playoffs.   Yao Ming, Shawn Bradley all played with other bigs and nothing.

I am amazed as many supported this claim as they it shows a pathetic understanding of NBA history.  The Rockets did not really do well with twin towers.   They lost to us in 86.   The Robinson and Duncam thing worked.

Would it have helped us, I concur.   But a good three point shooting team will own an interior team most of the time.  Post play isn't as important as it once was folks.

Lol you've just referenced teams without 2 all star big men that each had at least one top 5 wing/small forward player in the world aswell.

The point is that to beat small ball, you need bigs.
The Heat have three of the top 20 players in the world. Bosh is one of 10 best bigs and Lebron is the best player in the world.
So your answer is 'you guys are stoopid, you just need Shaq plus Kobe, or 2 kobes and one pippen' to win a championship.

Funny how the Mavs beat the Heat going big and shooting 3 pointers.
Talent is the key no matter what position, but if u can't get 3 of the top 20 players in the world on your team, then two top big men surrounded by shooters and a solid wing is a good recipe to beat them.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.