Author Topic: Ideas for CP3 to Indy  (Read 2147 times)

Ideas for CP3 to Indy
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:42:20 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
These rumors about LAC trying to get David West make no sense to me.  They already have Blake Griffin as their PF and aren't going to move him to bring in West.  Their payroll is already too high to pay West what he deserves, so West would have to likely leave $4-5 mil on the table to go there.  I think West showed 3 years ago where his priorities are and that $ is at the top.

So I was thinking about the possibility of Indiana resigning West and then also signing CP as a free agent?  George-West-Hibbert would be an excellent foundation that I imagine CP would be delighted to join.

Indiana currently has $49 committed to next year if they bring back Hibbert, Granger, Paul George, George Hill, Mahinmi, Gerald Green, Plumlee, Orlando Johnson, and exercise the team option on Stephenson.

Could they trade Granger's $14M + a future first rounder + cash to another team far enough below the cap to absorb his salary?

If so, that would leave Indiana with enough cap space to presumably sign West back at around 7-10 mil per season and sign CP3 to a contract starting around 15-18 mil per season.

George Hill could back up CP and also be a very good addition as a SG alongside CP3 like Hill did in San Antonio.

PG - CP3, Hill
SG - Stephenson, Hill, Johnson
SF - P George, G Green
PF - West, Pendergraph
C  - Hibbert, Mahinmi, Plumlee

That would be a good team.  Can anybody find a taker for Granger's 1 year left?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Ideas for CP3 to Indy
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
"Why am I going to Indiana?"
-Chris Paul

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Can anybody find a taker for Granger's 1 year left?

I bet Orlando would use the Dwight TE to accept a one-year rental of Granger if it came with a 1st rounder.

But I just don't see Chris Paul leaving LA.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
-Chris Paul

A question I pondered myself...

Most of today's diva superstars had been reported by the media to long for the bright lights of the big cities.  'Melo's intentions of forcing his way to Brooklyn or NY were well known, Lebron wanted a big city that could support his "brand", and Howard wanted to be in LA because of the movie scene (that right?).

CP3 is one player who has been reported to want to "team up" with other superstars like Melo, Dwight, etc. but I haven't read reports about it being all about the big markets for him.

Why he goes to Indiana?  There is a budding (young) superstar in Paul George there who plays excellent basketball on both ends of the court and I'm assuming there is a personal closeness between him and West if LAC is reportedly going after him.  The 2 did play very well together in NO with very little around them.

If Chris Paul is as smart of a player as I think he is, he should realize that Blake is a much better highlight reel than a basketball player and not going to help him get to postseason glory.  I think Indiana has the better supporting cast in place.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Can anybody find a taker for Granger's 1 year left?

I bet Orlando would use the Dwight TE to accept a one-year rental of Granger if it came with a 1st rounder.

But I just don't see Chris Paul leaving LA.
They could just trade Granger and the 1st to the Clippers.  Probably could get something else from Indy as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:50:09 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I just don't see it. Indiana is a terrible market for Pro Basketball.  I think Paul can 'team up' or talk himself into that in other places without destroying his fame and potential advertising money.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I just don't see it. Indiana is a terrible market for Pro Basketball.  I think Paul can 'team up' or talk himself into that in other places without destroying his fame and potential advertising money.
Chris Paul can still be the All State rep in the commercials in Indiana.  I don't think his national rep will not be hurt much, if at all, and let's be realistic Indiana is one of the last 4 teams for a reason and that is without Paul.  Add Paul and they are real threat to Miami and to win the title.  Also, Peyton Manning became the biggest endorser in the NFL from Indianapolis and Reggie Miller wasn't exactly chump change from there either.  Winning is what matters to endorsements and Indiana is a winning team.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:04:06 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:26:50 PM »

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
-Chris Paul

A question I pondered myself...

Most of today's diva superstars had been reported by the media to long for the bright lights of the big cities.  'Melo's intentions of forcing his way to Brooklyn or NY were well known, Lebron wanted a big city that could support his "brand", and Howard wanted to be in LA because of the movie scene (that right?).

CP3 is one player who has been reported to want to "team up" with other superstars like Melo, Dwight, etc. but I haven't read reports about it being all about the big markets for him.

Why he goes to Indiana?  There is a budding (young) superstar in Paul George there who plays excellent basketball on both ends of the court and I'm assuming there is a personal closeness between him and West if LAC is reportedly going after him.  The 2 did play very well together in NO with very little around them.

If Chris Paul is as smart of a player as I think he is, he should realize that Blake is a much better highlight reel than a basketball player and not going to help him get to postseason glory.  I think Indiana has the better supporting cast in place.

Just a side note here, because this is something that always bugs me when people say this, usually to make a claim against LeBron/Heat or some NBA bias, but how on earth is Miami a big city?  Almost half the NBA is in a larger tv market than Miami.

8th in metro area
16th in tv market.
44th in actual city population

Sure Miami is probably one of the most desirable cities to live in, but you can't use it to say players want to play in big cities or the NBA favors big markets, as Miami is neither.  (Not saying that you're claiming the league shows favoritism to big markets, but it's just something I see a lot.)

And kind of the same thing here, why is Indiana a terrible market?  I think these claims are often over blown.  For instance, I think I see just as many Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Garnett, Chris Bosh, and Amare Stoudemire commercials now with their bigger market teams as I did when they were with their previous small-market teams, and I'm pretty sure I see less LeBron and Dwight Howard commercials despite them moving on to better markets.  I don't know if I've ever seen a Bynum or Pau Gasol commercials (outside of possible NBA or ESPN ones).  I see Durant in a lot of commercials despite his small-market.  Though obviously what I'm saying is pretty subjective, as I'm not actually counting commercials or sponsorships, but that's just how I perceive it.  I think those claims are often over blown and exaggerated.

More about being marketable than being in a certain market.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2988
CP3 is already   ...freakin PLAYER /COACH/ and now wants ther  GM powers  too? And the owners would be stupid enough probably

He does, everything but sign the pay checks at the CLIPPERS as it is.......they have given him every benefit control possible.....who would want to come and coach at a place where ...YOU ARE NOT THE HEAD of the TEAM , but headcoach just in name , always second fiddle to CP3 and what he wants, yet take all the blame for losses.  Forget that....a REAL coach won't do that ,  myabe a SPOBOT clone.....nothing coach.

CP3 will only be happy to JUST BE a PLAYER on the LAKERS with Phil Jackson as his coach.

Untill this happens he'll never be happy .  He is soooooooo immature.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
10-year change in attendance: -24.32% (second biggest decline in NBA)
W-L record 10 years: 399-421 (15th worst)
Operating income (2010): -$17 million
Year founded: 1967
Value: $269 million (fourth least valuable in NBA)

The Indiana Pacers have not been in the black since 2005. Including 2010’s $17 million net loss, the team has cumulatively lost $52 million in five years. The team made the playoffs last year, ending a four-year drought, but then lost in five games to the Chicago Bulls. Attendance has declined precipitously since 2001, when the team was two years removed from a six-game loss in the championship to the Los Angeles Lakers. In 2001, the team averaged attendance of 17,888 per home game. In 2009, the team cut ticket prices by 30%, hoping to attract fans, but so far it has had little success. Last year, the Pacers averaged 13,538 people per home game, easily the worst in the league.

Maybe it's a good market, but it's people are giving the NBA a great reason to move their team to Seattle

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
10-year change in attendance: -24.32% (second biggest decline in NBA)
W-L record 10 years: 399-421 (15th worst)
Operating income (2010): -$17 million
Year founded: 1967
Value: $269 million (fourth least valuable in NBA)

The Indiana Pacers have not been in the black since 2005. Including 2010’s $17 million net loss, the team has cumulatively lost $52 million in five years. The team made the playoffs last year, ending a four-year drought, but then lost in five games to the Chicago Bulls. Attendance has declined precipitously since 2001, when the team was two years removed from a six-game loss in the championship to the Los Angeles Lakers. In 2001, the team averaged attendance of 17,888 per home game. In 2009, the team cut ticket prices by 30%, hoping to attract fans, but so far it has had little success. Last year, the Pacers averaged 13,538 people per home game, easily the worst in the league.

Maybe it's a good market, but it's people are giving the NBA a great reason to move their team to Seattle

You're citing information from 2010?  Get that information from the LA Clippers in 2010 and let me know if it's much different.  Get that information from the Celtics in 2007 or Miami in 2009.  I don't think any of those factors matter three years after.