Author Topic: After Rondo injury Celtics in very favorable position,  (Read 6156 times)

After Rondo injury Celtics in very favorable position,
« on: January 28, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
It's a real bummer that Rondo went down, but I think the Celtics are in a great position after his injuries, for a number of reasons.

First, the rebuilding is coming whether we like it or not. In an odd way, Rondo's injury kind of "opens the door" a little more management to more easily justify whatever path they want to take. I see three main options, all of which have good possibilities.

#1 - Complete blow up mode

You could go full rebuild mode by the trade deadline.

A) Approach Pierce and KG and ask them if they want to ride it out or if they'd like you to seek trades for them to legit contenders. Take a look at the top 5-6 teams in the Western conference - you could get some decent returns in with one key young player and picks.

B) If you think Melo has any chance of being an NBA center at any level in the NBA, bring him up and start force feeding him minutes now, like a lot of other young players get on bad teams - get the process going. If you think he has no chance, get it over with and package him in a trade.

C) Significantly increase the minutes for Bradley, Green, Lee, Sully, Melo, etc...

D) you probably go the lottery this year, maybe you get lucky and get a real blue chipper.

E) Depending on who you get as young players, you might also have Cap Flex if the trades are done with an expiring to make things work...

#2 - Mid Major adjustments

A) You could make a mid major move - try to get a Josh Smith level player without blowing up the team. Or a bit smaller move like trying to get a young point like Bledsoe to fill in Rondo's shoes until he gets back.

B) Make another run with this team, as is. We'll end up making another good run.

#3 - Stand pat

Don't underestimate a team that trots out a starting lineup of:

KG / Collins / Melo / Wilcox
Sully / Bass / Wilcox
Pierce / Green
Lee / Jet
Bradley / Barbosa

1. That starting lineup may not be point guard driven / dominant anymore, but those are five tough guys both mentally and physically.

2. Rondo is incredible but he dominates the ball. So this team will be different and we might be pleasantly surprised with some of those differences - just as much as we will have some disappointments...

3. When you lose a dominant player, other guys tend to step into the void and you find things out about them you didn't know before, good and bad. Guys might feel freed up a bit to take more responsibility and bigger roles.

4. That bench is still quite good

5. lastly, this team might gel differently, kind of coalescing behind Rondo's injury to become something better than we initially expect.   

Whatever option is taken above, we will either see our young guys being thrown to the wolves and watch them develop - or we'll see a grizzled vet team, perhaps with some mid major to minor changes via mid ticket trades, or a stand pat vet team throwing down with everything they've got.

Meanwhile, Rondo's on the mend.

Don't get down, get excited. We're going to watch a very interesting story unfold from here on out.

We'll either

Re: After Rondo injury Celtics in very favorable position,
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
the celtics are adaptive. we will become a less point guard oriented team with rondo down.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 12:42:13 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Agreed.

I'm hoping Doc starts Bradley at point and Lee at the two and just sticks with it.

I am also very interested to see how the combined defensive efforts of a Bradley / Lee starting back court will have on the team's overall defense.

I'm particularly interested in seeing if Bradley's D at the point significantly reduces dribble drive penetration.

I'm a huge Rondo fan, but one thing that always irked me is he appears to play a lot matador defense, with guys going by him at the point. He also loses track of his man a lot.

So I'm curious to see how the Bradley / Lee combo affects our perimeter D. 

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No, they are not.

They are in limbo, and the NBA knows it.

Sure, the role players may develop more, but what to do with the higher price guys that may or may not be in position to help this team win when Rondo is back and healthy. 

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No, they are not.

Agreed

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No, they are not.

Agreed
And their best player/asset is damaged.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:51:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Agreed. we are hosed.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 12:53:44 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
nope....the era officially ended with the injury ...I see more  optimism around here today then I did last week...it's mind boggling considering rondo is our best player and one of the leagues premier postseason performers.

it sucks, period

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
^ Rondo didn't die. He'll be back next season.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
nope....the era officially ended with the injury ...I see more  optimism around here today then I did last week...it's mind boggling considering rondo is our best player and one of the leagues premier postseason performers.

it sucks, period

It does suck.  Completely.

But I think the injury has given some people some peace and clarity in the sense that there's no anxiety any longer about where this team is headed or what will happen this season.

The team isn't going to turn things around.  They aren't going to make a deep run.  There will be no championship year.

So you don't have to feel bad or conflicted about not being optimistic.  The team no longer has its best player and top playoff performer.  You aren't going to get bitten in the butt if you lose faith now.

We know where we stand, for sure. 

Now all that is left is to see what happens at the trade deadline.  Frankly I wish the trade deadline were tomorrow afternoon.  I just want to get it over with.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
In all these "blow it up threads" people have us trading Pierce and Garnett for "young and coming players and draft picks" but those guys are super valuable to their teams first off, and secondly the salaries won't be anywhere near matching.

To trade players who make 10+mil any contending team is going to have to give 10+ mil to make the trade.  Their jettison junk might not come with a 1year deal.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If this team wants to win, start playing KG heavier minutes.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 01:33:22 PM »

Offline popcontest

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 34
If we can work our way up the 7th seed -- we can take out the Knicks or Bulls in the first round.  Would be incredible to face off against the Heat one more time...

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

Nah, it's okay. He can play less, until the playoffs
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

If he retires after this season, why not play him more minutes? I agree. What are we saving him for at this point?