Author Topic: James Harden Traded To Rockets. REACTION!!! (merged)  (Read 24923 times)

Re: James Harden Traded To Rockets. REACTION!!! (merged)
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2012, 03:45:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
You guys know that even with Harden on a Max deal, even with Lin and Asik, Houston will still have enough cap room for another max deal, right?

Plus, Harden has already said he'll be signing a max extension before Wednesday.
James Harden + max contract free agent + Donatus Motiejunas becoming a legitimate 20/8 player + if Jeremy Lin can become a more well-rounded and efficient starting PG they have another piece there + Asik as a defender/rebounder.

Plus, a bunch of young role players / trade assets. 

Good chance to build a title contender there in the next 2-3 years.

« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
...maybe to move Thabo to backup sf and give him like 12 mins a game there and try to save Durant's legs a little.
Save Durant's legs? What is he 23 years old? I don't think the Thunder have to worry about resting Durant and his legs any time in the next 7-8 years.

« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »

Offline Accension13

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
To me, the Harden trade sets the compensation bar for a potential Josh Smith trade this season. Harden has less experience than Smith, but he is arguably more accomplished. Draft picks, a borderline starting caliber player, and salary cap filler should get it done,

« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
just to correct my earlier post about the draft picks being traded to OKC. I had it wrong earlier and have since seen this:

For the Raptors, the forfeited pick breaks down like so:
- Top-3 protected in 2013
- Top-2 protected in 2014 and 2015
- No. 1 overall protected in 2016 and 2017

but no matter how you stack it up, OKC is due a pretty good draft pick soon.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
To me, the Harden trade sets the compensation bar for a potential Josh Smith trade this season. Harden has less experience than Smith, but he is arguably more accomplished. Draft picks, a borderline starting caliber player, and salary cap filler should get it done,

The Harden trade will certainly affect Smith's value, but they got 2 lottery picks (Lamb, the rapts pick), 2 more picks, and a borderline starter with a big fat expiring contract, plus filler on both sides (although I imagine OKC fans and others would argue Aldrich had value coming back).

I think Smith's price is actually lower, because the Hawks have just about a zero chance of resigning him, and that's known.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
...maybe to move Thabo to backup sf and give him like 12 mins a game there and try to save Durant's legs a little.
Save Durant's legs? What is he 23 years old? I don't think the Thunder have to worry about resting Durant and his legs any time in the next 7-8 years.
The guy played till the finals and then played in the Olympics. Helping him stay fresh is important and keeping him from getting hurt is too. Just cause Doc plays 35 year olds 44 minutes a night doesn't mean he should

« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The guy played till the finals and then played in the Olympics. Helping him stay fresh is important and keeping him from getting hurt is too. Just cause Doc plays 35 year olds 44 minutes a night doesn't mean he should
He's 23 years old!!!!!

MJ was playing 39 MPG until he was 37 and still dominating.

The elite(best 2-3 players in the league at any given time) play 38-40 MPG when they are young(especially if they are that good and just 23 years old) because they can and because you want them to. Getting tired at that is isn't a problem. Getting them rest isn't a problem.

Its kind of nonsensical to think you have to be getting Durant rest time when he is in his prime at 23 years old.

« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah OKC isn't going to play Durant less than 38 minutes in any game where he isn't in foul trouble. (barring sitting during garbage time)

« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Glad I read the whole thread, cuz it seems like people are coming to their senses -

Kevin Martin is a guy most of us have written off as a key contributor to a good team. He's fragile and miserable defensively.

I think shot creation is going to become a yuge problem too - Russel Westbrook is one of my favorite players in the league but he's shown to have some trouble making the right decisions and as terrific as Kevin Durant is, he doesn't move particularly well w/o the ball in his hands. I don't see how OKC doesn't take a huge hit.

I keep bringing up his name, but I though OKC was another good potential landing spot for Paul Milsap. And I'd have to think Utah would've been more than willing to try to make that work with a few extra pieces

« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2012, 06:41:52 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--inside-look-at-james-harden-s-trade-to-rockets-28301609.html

"When the rest of the Thunder were celebrating a Game 1 victory over Miami in the locker room, Harden could be heard grumbling over too few shots (five), and too few minutes (22)"

interesting read on da trade they said Westbrook wasnt devastated for those who were sayin Westbrook nd Durant would be frustrated. If they can get ova Jeff Green gettin traded mid-season they wont be mad at dis deal

« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Glad I read the whole thread, cuz it seems like people are coming to their senses -

Kevin Martin is a guy most of us have written off as a key contributor to a good team. He's fragile and miserable defensively.

I think shot creation is going to become a yuge problem too - Russel Westbrook is one of my favorite players in the league but he's shown to have some trouble making the right decisions and as terrific as Kevin Durant is, he doesn't move particularly well w/o the ball in his hands. I don't see how OKC doesn't take a huge hit.

I keep bringing up his name, but I though OKC was another good potential landing spot for Paul Milsap. And I'd have to think Utah would've been more than willing to try to make that work with a few extra pieces

Way to go Thomas Edison.

If Lamb can start, Martin plus a few of those picks for Milsap and Hayward makes OKC a complete team. A complete juggernaught, a steel sword in a land of brass and copper gladiuses (gladiui?).

I AM THE TESLA

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--inside-look-at-james-harden-s-trade-to-rockets-28301609.html

"When the rest of the Thunder were celebrating a Game 1 victory over Miami in the locker room, Harden could be heard grumbling over too few shots (five), and too few minutes (22)"

interesting read on da trade they said Westbrook wasnt devastated for those who were sayin Westbrook nd Durant would be frustrated. If they can get ova Jeff Green gettin traded mid-season they wont be mad at dis deal
And the ever classy smearing the guy on his way out the door has begun.

« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He's 23 years old!!!!!

The elite(best 2-3 players in the league at any given time) play 38-40 MPG when they are young(especially if they are that good and just 23 years old) because they can and because you want them to. Getting tired at that is isn't a problem. Getting them rest isn't a problem.

Its kind of nonsensical to think you have to be getting Durant rest time when he is in his prime at 23 years old.
The Thunder are a very good team that will win a lot of games comfortably. If you want to pound a kid's knees to dust unnecessarily go right ahead.  Hey how old is Oden? 23ish? 25?  How old was Amare and Kenyon Martin when they missed the whole year with microfracture surgery? Eric Maynor missed the whole season with a snapped ACL and Derrick Rose and Rubio are having some knee trouble right now.  It's ok to reduce exposure to injury and overuse. It's ok.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:52:30 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Way to go Thomas Edison.

If Lamb can start, Martin plus a few of those picks for Milsap and Hayward makes OKC a complete team. A complete juggernaught, a steel sword in a land of brass and copper gladiuses (gladiui?).

I AM THE TESLA

Nice job trying to rent my swag, but I think they blew their chance at Milsap w/ this move:

There's no way the Jazz move Milsap in a trade revolving around Kevin Martin. Didn't you read my Hollinger like analysis above?; he's not very good.

Your move, Graham Bell.

EDIT: Especially when the Celtics call and offer Bradley and Sullinger for Milsap and a first

« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
He's 23 years old!!!!!

The Thunder are a very good team that will win a lot of games comfortably. If you want to pound a kid's knees to dust unnecessarily go right ahead.  Hey how old is Oden? 23ish? 25?  How old was Amare and Kenyon Martin when they missed the whole year with microfracture surgery? Eric Maynor missed the whole season with a snapped ACL and Derrick Rose and Rubio are having some knee trouble right now.  It's ok to reduce exposure to injury and overuse. It's ok.
You can't game plan around injury prevention. Its inviting disaster to strike if you do.

Taking a 23 year old superstar and resting him to prevent injury is an invitation for injury to happen. Never be afraid of an injury when it hasn't happened yet.