Author Topic: CB Draft Eastern Semis: (2) Pistons vs. (3) Hawks  (Read 12690 times)

Re: CB Draft Eastern Semis: (2) Pistons vs. (3) Hawks
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Seems like the Pistons have the bigger talent disparity advantages with Granger and Paul, while the Hawks have the advantage in quantity with Duncan, West, and Kobe.

I like that Hawks frontcourt a lot more as a combo.  Duncan-West just sounds like a good fit.  Nene-Ilyasova I'm not sold on.

I think thats the other thing, I think the Hawks are built to maximize every persons strengths.  We know Kobe had his best years while operating in the triangle offense under Phil Jackson and with Duncan and West he will have so much room to operate on the offensive end it will be unreal. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
my vote goes to the hawks in this series

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 11:48:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
haha ya, when I was breaking it down i gave the edge to both of us on the offensive end on the PF matchup. 

Yeah, I think it's the one thing holding Ilyasova back from becoming an above average starting PF ... it seems like every offensively capable PF puts up big numbers against him. And even lesser PFs seem to do better than normal. Just seems to get pushed around too easily.

I think Ilyasova's team defense is fine but his man-to-man defense is seriously weak. He badly needs to get that sorted.

Makes me wonder if Ilyasova going to be one of those guys like Carl Landry who is just always going to be better off in that main reserve role vs starting PF. He's just made such little progress (development wise) in this area over the last few years. He has had a terrific defensive coach in Skiles and a quality defensive team around him too. Not sure there is much more that can be done for him. Looks like this may be the situation permanently.

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I agree with Rondo on the PF matchup, I think West scores on Ersan, Ersan scores on him. Where I think Ersan helps us is he pulls West away from the hoop allowing Paul to drive and leaving Duncan alone guarding the rim, so Paul either takes it himself or dishes off to Nene depending on how Duncan reacts. Also should allow good looks for Matthews and Granger.

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 01:53:56 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I agree with Rondo on the PF matchup, I think West scores on Ersan, Ersan scores on him. Where I think Ersan helps us is he pulls West away from the hoop allowing Paul to drive and leaving Duncan alone guarding the rim, so Paul either takes it himself or dishes off to Nene depending on how Duncan reacts. Also should allow good looks for Matthews and Granger.

Yes that would work in a vacuum but Hill is a very good defender and Mbah A Moute is a 6'8 defender that will also be in the game who is a very good help defender.  Between him and Kobe I think we would have the appropriate slides if Paul broke through Hill's initial defense.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Also like the SF matchup

Granger put up 21.7 last year versus Mbah A Moute which was above his season average and shot a higher percentage.

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders

Yes that would work in a vacuum but Hill is a very good defender and Mbah A Moute is a 6'8 defender that will also be in the game who is a very good help defender.  Between him and Kobe I think we would have the appropriate slides if Paul broke through Hill's initial defense.

Agree that both are capable defenders but the slides increase the chances of open looks for Matthews and Granger.

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Also like the SF matchup

Granger put up 21.7 last year versus Mbah A Moute which was above his season average and shot a higher percentage.

He shot below 40% in two out of the 3 games.  I will take that every time.  If Granger is going to be putting up 29 points on 20 Shots.  I'll take that.

Especially when Mbah is averaging 10.33 ppg on 54% shooting. 

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Benches
PG: Luke Ridnour vs Jason Kidd = advantage Atlanta
SG: Landry Fields vs CJ Miles = advantage Detroit
SF: Chase Budinger vs Grant Hill = neutral
PF: Amir Johnson vs Lavoy Allen = advantage Detroit
C:  Kenyon Martin vs Sam Dalembert = advantage Atlanta

I expect D'Antoni to play Granger as the backup PF and for Atlanta to respond by using Mbah a Moute there against Granger. So I don't think Lavoy Allen figures into this.

Also, I don't think CJ Miles will see much (if any) playing time either. So that will be Jason Kidd (or George Hill) against Landry Fields. That should neutralize that matchup for Detroit. Or even give them a small advantage with Kidd's PG skills.

One remaining question = By the sounds of it, it'll be Kenyon Martin who is asked to defend Duncan when Nene is off the court. When Dalembert is on the floor (Duncan resting), will it be Kenyon Martin or Amir Johnson that is matched up against Dalembert?

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Johnson or Hill against Dalambert.

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 04:52:24 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
Kobe has also played well but shot below his average and scored lower than his average versus Matthews.

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Kobe has also played well but shot below his average and scored lower than his average versus Matthews.

43% in his last 5 games against matthews, his career average is 45% so not a drastic difference

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
The past three seasons Kobe has scored below his average and shot poorer versus Matthews as compared to the rest of the NBA.

Is Kobe the focal point of your offense?

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 05:25:50 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
The past three seasons Kobe has scored below his average and shot poorer versus Matthews as compared to the rest of the NBA.

Is Kobe the focal point of your offense?

In the playoffs while both players played starters minutes kobe averaged 32 ppg, 4 rbs, and 6 assists per game while shooting 52.3% from the field in a 4 game sweep.

I'll take that matchup every day