Author Topic: 2012 Patriots Football  (Read 112375 times)

Re: 2012 Patriots Football
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2012, 07:39:32 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Bummed out about Demps going on IR.  Was really looking forward to him returning kicks this year.
Me, too, but I have a feeling it's very temporary ... I think we'll see him before long.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Bummed out about Demps going on IR.  Was really looking forward to him returning kicks this year.
Me, too, but I have a feeling it's very temporary ... I think we'll see him before long.

Like next year in training camp?
According to Bedard (Globe - knows this stuff well), Demps can't play again this year.

EDIT: Here's Bedard's quote
•The season is over for RB Jeff Demps, who likely sustained a bruised knee (MCL or PCL) against the Giants. He'll get to redshirt and get ready for next season.

•Demps is NOT eligible for the new in-season IR rule. To be eligible, the player has to be on the 53-man roster Friday night and then moved to IR after 4 p.m. on Tuesday. TE Visanthe Shiancoe would be a prime candidate. That would open up another roster spot.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/some_thoughts_o_2.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:03:31 PM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Here's the Patriots practice squad (per http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots
1. G Thomas Austin (former Patriot who had been claimed by Texans in 2011)

2. FB Eric Kettani (spent 2011 on Patriots practice squad)

3. WR Sam Kirkland (rookie free agent from Kent State who was with Redskins in preseason)

4. OT Matt Kopa (spent 2011 on Patriots practice squad)

5. TE Alex Silvestro (spent 2011 on Patriots practice squad as defensive end)

6. LB Jeff Tarpinian (appeared in 7 games, with 1 start, for Patriots last season)

7. DB Malcolm Williams (2011 seventh-round draft choice of Patriots; 5 games played in 2011; also practice squad)

I don't know anything about Kirkland (was surprised our 7th round pick Ebert wasn't signed to the practice squad), but other than that, this is a solid squad.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Like next year in training camp?
According to Bedard (Globe - knows this stuff well), Demps can't play again this year.

EDIT: Here's Bedard's quote
•The season is over for RB Jeff Demps, who likely sustained a bruised knee (MCL or PCL) against the Giants. He'll get to redshirt and get ready for next season.

•Demps is NOT eligible for the new in-season IR rule. To be eligible, the player has to be on the 53-man roster Friday night and then moved to IR after 4 p.m. on Tuesday. TE Visanthe Shiancoe would be a prime candidate. That would open up another roster spot.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/some_thoughts_o_2.html
I hadn't heard this. TP for the update, tho.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:04:14 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Hightower has changed his jersey Number to #54, the number previously worn by Brian Waters.  I think this combined with the pats bringing in tenant should spell the end for waters.

Very dissapointing
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:09:06 PM by Rondo2287 »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Hightower has changed his jersey Number to #54, the number previously worn by Brian Waters.  I think this combined with the pats bringing in tenant should spell the end for waters.

Very dissapointing

Yep. Hopefully BB knew this all along, and it was part of a clever ploy to get some of the teams we play in the early part of the season waste time watching old tape of Waters....
 :-\
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Very dissapointing

Yep. Hopefully BB knew this all along, and it was part of a clever ploy to get some of the teams we play in the early part of the season waste time watching old tape of Waters....
 :-\

I agree disappointing.  However, this is looking more like a holdout than a retirement right now (if he retired, this would just be over).  So maybe we'll see him come in later in the season. 

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Edelman played QB in college, right? So if Brady and Mallet get injured in the same span, he'd step in for emergency purposes, I'd think.

Wasn't Brian Mitchell the 3rd string qb for most of McNabb's years?

Edelman hasn't played a lick of QB, even in practice, since college.  I don't think I've even seen him run any trick plays.  Hoyer's cut, I get, he was making too much given that he wasn't any better than Mallett, but they'll bring in a practice squad kid.
Belichek is a nut. I guarantee if he really needed a QB fast he wouldn't take some practice squad reject kid. He'd have Doug Flutie and Vinny Testaverde on speed dial and maybe Vince Young or something. But not Farve. He wants to win

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Edelman played QB in college, right? So if Brady and Mallet get injured in the same span, he'd step in for emergency purposes, I'd think.

Wasn't Brian Mitchell the 3rd string qb for most of McNabb's years?

Edelman hasn't played a lick of QB, even in practice, since college.  I don't think I've even seen him run any trick plays.  Hoyer's cut, I get, he was making too much given that he wasn't any better than Mallett, but they'll bring in a practice squad kid.
Belichek is a nut. I guarantee if he really needed a QB fast he wouldn't take some practice squad reject kid. He'd have Doug Flutie and Vinny Testaverde on speed dial and maybe Vince Young or something. But not Farve. He wants to win

Well, Edelman would probably get it by default if Brady and Mallet went down in succession.  However, they likely would get someone else. 

And regardless of that, on one of Mike Reiss's chats one day, he hinted at the fact that the Pats do practice trick plays for Edelman.  Since reporters aren't allowed to directly report, he somewhat backhandedly implied it, by saying (and I'm paraphrasing) that he wouldn't be surprised to see them run a trick play with Edelman throwing it based on what he's seen. 

And given that Edelman has moved up the depth chart a bit on the WR scale, I could see them trying a throw or two for him this year. 

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2012, 08:57:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
ESPN predictions: http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview12/story/_/id/8295463/espn-experts-nfl-predictions-2012

The experts are very bullish on Green Bay as SB winner, with NE as a distant second.

Out of the AFC, they like NE the best, with Ravens and Texans also in the mix.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2012, 09:55:53 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I'm happy that Ridley had a good game against the Titans, but couldn't help to notice that BJGE had a nice game this past week as well.

I hope he does well, but I hope we don't miss him too much... if that makes sense :)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Pretty crazy article in the herald yesterday saying that Mankins played in the superbowl with a Torn MCL in his Right Knee and a torn ACL in his Left knee.

Mankins apparently tore his ACL week 1 against the dolphins and played the whole season
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
ESPN predictions: http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview12/story/_/id/8295463/espn-experts-nfl-predictions-2012

The experts are very bullish on Green Bay as SB winner, with NE as a distant second.

I wonder how they feel after week 1...

Two votes for Chandler Jones as Defensive ROY!

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I wonder how they feel after week 1...

Two votes for Chandler Jones as Defensive ROY!

I know folks in SF who are looking at the ESPN predictions and saying "How 'bout them apples!"
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I'm happy that Ridley had a good game against the Titans, but couldn't help to notice that BJGE had a nice game this past week as well.

I hope he does well, but I hope we don't miss him too much... if that makes sense :)

When Vareen is back we'll have a trio of Ridley, Vareen and Woodhead with Hernandez providing occasional excitement from the backfield.  Endless options. 

We'll only miss the law firm when someone fumbles.