Author Topic: 2012 Patriots Football  (Read 112563 times)

Re: 2012 Patriots Football
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Has anyone else been shocked by Cunningham's transformation into Willie McGinest?  He was a stringbean a couple years ago, who couldn't get on the field, because he couldn't cover as a linebacker, and was too weak to battle on the line...now he is bullrushing from a 3 technique and getting sacks?

I guess its a pretty even playing field with PEDs in the NFL (I really think a LOT of guys use them)...so hopefully this guy can revive his career a bit.

What about Brace, too?  He's looking like he can be a stout anchor for the defensive line.  Another guy that seemed to be on the outide looking in when camp started.  BB's recent drafts are starting to look better and better.

Yes, I forgot about Brace, thanks for reminding me.
My concerns at this point: (1) O-Line, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Waters comes back and (2) Running Backs -- they just can't seem to stay healthy.

What RBs are injured?

Vereen got hurt (again) against the Bucs.  Ridley, not sure if his not playing was because he was dinged during practice or because they knew he was the starter and wanted to make sure he didn't GET hurt last night.  Demps seemed to have some kind of injury late last night, although word today was that it's nothing too serious (not an ACL).

With the (re-)emergence of Cunningham and Brace, though, you may not be able to say "another BB 2nd-round bust!" too much longer.

Didn't hear about Vereen.  I am pretty sure Ridley was just sitting along with every other starter. 

As far as Brace, while he seems to have made himself into a useful player, he is still a disappointment unless he becomes a starting level player, which I haven't seen from him. 

What is interesting about Cunningham is that I think he could just be a late bloomer, who they knew was a couple year project, because he had to completely change his body.  Now that he is actually built like a lineman, we can see what he really can do.  Although it still seems like he will just be a designated pass rusher.

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Has anyone else been shocked by Cunningham's transformation into Willie McGinest?  He was a stringbean a couple years ago, who couldn't get on the field, because he couldn't cover as a linebacker, and was too weak to battle on the line...now he is bullrushing from a 3 technique and getting sacks?

I guess its a pretty even playing field with PEDs in the NFL (I really think a LOT of guys use them)...so hopefully this guy can revive his career a bit.

What about Brace, too?  He's looking like he can be a stout anchor for the defensive line.  Another guy that seemed to be on the outide looking in when camp started.  BB's recent drafts are starting to look better and better.

My concerns at this point: (1) O-Line, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Waters comes back and (2) Running Backs -- they just can't seem to stay healthy.

Yup, im still hoping waters comes back and Vollmer will stay healthy.  I think those are the two keys for the O-line this season.

With the RB's I think we should be OK.  Though Vereen is starting to look like another Belichick second round busst

I think it is still too early to tell on Vereen, but we'll see.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 01:08:05 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

What RBs are injured?

Vereen got hurt (again) against the Bucs.  Ridley, not sure if his not playing was because he was dinged during practice or because they knew he was the starter and wanted to make sure he didn't GET hurt last night.  Demps seemed to have some kind of injury late last night, although word today was that it's nothing too serious (not an ACL).

With the (re-)emergence of Cunningham and Brace, though, you may not be able to say "another BB 2nd-round bust!" too much longer.

Didn't hear about Vereen.  I am pretty sure Ridley was just sitting along with every other starter. 

I should have added that my concerns with RB are also due to the general inexperience.

Woodhead is experienced
Vereen and Ridley are 2nd year players, but Vereen was injured most of last year.
Bolden and Demps are undrafted FAs with no experience.

There's just a lot of question marks about what type of contribution we're going to get from this group.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

What RBs are injured?

I should have added that my concerns with RB are also due to the general inexperience.

Woodhead is experienced
Vereen and Ridley are 2nd year players, but Vereen was injured most of last year.
Bolden and Demps are undrafted FAs with no experience.

There's just a lot of question marks about what type of contribution we're going to get from this group.

Well, for that particular position, youth is good, so it doesn't worry me too much. 

...although I am a bit concerned about the blitz pickup from some of these young guys. 

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2012, 01:29:56 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Pats just released Brian Hoyer and Dan Koppen.  Thanks to Koppen for a great career here in NE
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Pats just released Brian Hoyer and Dan Koppen.  Thanks to Koppen for a great career here in NE

Interesting.  I was wondering what would happen with Hoyer, since it seemed like Mallet had passed him. 

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Pats just released branch too
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow.  Figured they'd carry 3 QBs and that Branch was going to make the team after they cut Stallworth & Gaffney.

Bummer about Koppen.  Went to BC with the guy. Makes me feel old that his career might've come to an end.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Hoyer, Branch, Koppen.
Wow.

I figured at least Hoyer and Branch would make the team. I'm actually most shocked about Branch, actually, as he seemed to always be in the right place at the right time, and with a good rapport between him and Brady....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2012, 01:57:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pats seem to be razor thin at the WR position right now.  Even more so when you consider how many of them are considered "pure wideouts".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2012, 02:05:16 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Very surprised about branch. I figured dumping stallworth and gaffney meant branch had beaten them for sure. CANNOT see them going with Lloyd/Welker/Edelman as the only actual receivers in a pass-based attack(Slater-though i love his special teams- and his stone hands do not count). Wonder if there's an in-house or pre-known target replacement, or if Hernandez is actually a WR now.

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Very surprised about branch. I figured dumping stallworth and gaffney meant branch had beaten them for sure. CANNOT see them going with Lloyd/Welker/Edelman as the only actual receivers in a pass-based attack(Slater-though i love his special teams- and his stone hands do not count). Wonder if there's an in-house or pre-known target replacement, or if Hernandez is actually a WR now.

I think you have to consider Hernandez as a WR.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
The reciever thing is interesting.  I would not be surprised if at least one of those guys is back, as soon as week 1.

I really don't have a good grasp on the roster and cap rules for the NFL, but I bet there are some cap implications they are working around...and perhaps also delaying cutting one of the young guys until a point when they think they can more easily slip him to the practice squad.

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
So WR's the pats cut this year

Ochocinco
Deion Branch
Anthony Gonzalez
Jabar Gaffney
Donte Stallworth

quite the crew

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Shocking, especially the Branch move.  Does this meant they try to bring back Gaffney or Stallworth at a reduced price?  It seems odd to cut all 3 of them, especially since Lloyd is really the only legit outside WR on a team that dominates the middle of the field.  If Lloyd goes down, someone like Edelman isn't going to be able o fit in with Welker, Gronk, and Henandez in the middle of the field.

Hoyer perplexes me a bit too, unless BB wants to bring someone else in.  I could see him cutting him if he wanted to stash another WR or something, but with Branch cut, I don't see the point.

Koppen I feel badly about since he was so good for so long, but since he only plays center, his value was hurt with a lot of other guys like Wendell able to play center and guard.  This may be a sign that Waters is coming back (it may also not).