Author Topic: 2012 - CB Draft: "How's My Team Look?"  (Read 410704 times)

Re: 2012 - CB Draft: "How's My Team Look?"
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Bosh is a very good player, btw. I just agree that on the court he is soft, and I don't think Who's point about the spacing he created shows that much.

I think you put him against a strong, physical post player like a  Marc Gasol or a Horford or a Nene and he's going to get murdered. Over and over and over again.

I don't think this makes him soft, I think it makes him a typical power forward. And by the same token, if Gasol or Nene try guarding Bosh, he eviscerates them a dozen different ways.

Well like 5 different ways.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2012, 11:14:35 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
And sorry for making everyone read so much about Chris Bosh. That's the last ill say on it.

« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »

Offline Merovech

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
Darn it, this is like the second draft in a row I've missed by a week and a half.   When is the next one likely to happen?

Also, to make my post have some sembelance of value:  I like Chris Bosh as a player very much.  Sure, he's not a great defender, especially against physical players, but he's an incredible scorer and just efficent all-around offensively and has shown he doesn't have to be the man to be happy.
2014 Pick 2 OKC Thunder
PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Jeremy Lamb / Jodie Meeks
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Taj Gibson / Derrick Favors
C: Greg Monroe / Brandan Wright
7.19, 8.19, 9.19, 10.19

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The funny thing about that Kevin Love handshake video despite the actual joke is that it once again reminded me how much I hate Carmelo Anthony now.

I really liked that Knicks team with Gallo and Amare and other names not picked yet. The trade turned an overachieving feel good team into an underachieving entitled te you love to hate.

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I guess I have to put Cleveland here...

Cleveland Derps

Kyrie Irving
Andrew Bogut
David Lee

I don't know, that's a a solid front court and a young leader/superstar in the making.

(I'm seeing it already. Bogut will be judged because of injuries. Lets keep in mind that Bogut's injuries, while many, are not recurring, so chances that he stays injured is pretty much on par on chances that he stays healthy.)

I like David Lee more as a sixth man than a starter. I don't think he offers much advantage to his team as a starting PF in the NBA. As a starting C, he does offensively but he is a liability defensively.

I think his numbers will decline the more minutes he plays at PF (vs C) and decline further the more quality talent is put around him because he isn't a top tier player so his shot-attempts will go elsewhere (and it's not like he is adding value defensively).

I would consider bringing in another PF (even in a 20mpg starter's role) and moving David Lee to the bench where I think he'll be one of the best sixth men in the CB league.

Kyrie Irving is a terrific prospect. Excellent chance to be a top five PG down the road. Most definitely a keeper.

I disagree. David Lee is a starting caliber PF. He's a walking 20/10 on 50% shooting. He can score from anywhere on the court, either off the dribble, post or on pick and roll/pops or positioning himself under the rim. He's also a good passer. He's a good post defender, but not a good help or man to man defender, i'll give you that.

Is he really a sixth man? He basically offers the same, if not more on the table than other PF's drafted (and I mean no shots at these names) like Faried, Ibaka, Millsap and maybe to an extent, Pau and LMA.

I agree that David Lee is a capable starting big at either big man position.

I disagree that he is a high level starter.

And I believe that his value to your team is higher as one of the league's best sixth men (as a backup PF/C) than as a capable starter (PF).

I love your insights Who, but this time I respectfully disagree.

A 20/10 guy in his prime should be a sixth man on this team? I mean no disrespect but that's a bit off. He's producing close to same numbers and Aldrige, Pau and Bosh. He's a better player than Blake Griffin (IMO) in terms of what he can do more on the court. He's been consistent.

I see no reason why I shouldn't start him. He's very underrated because he's not a household name. But his production is better, better than some of the PF's that got drafted already. That's not a sixth man.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2012, 11:36:23 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
I really liked that Knicks team with Gallo and Amare and other names not picked yet. The trade turned an overachieving feel good team into an underachieving entitled te you love to hate.

I didn't "like" them, but I definitely respected them for the same reason you mentioned.  Especially after such terrible several seasons prior to that one and a very disappointing Summer of '10 when everyone thought they were getting Lebron.

And yeah, they are definitely now that underachieving entitled team you love to hate.  Except for those few weeks of Lin-sanity when Melo was hurt!  Haha, then Melo comes back and nobody likes them again.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2012, 11:41:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The problem with David Lee is that he was most productive in D'Antoni's system, while playing the 5, and while being the best player on the court.

When he's asked to play the 4 against other 4s he loses a lot of his advantages against opponents on offense, mainly his speed. He also has trouble defending 4s (and 5s, but that's mitigated on offense).

It's the same issue Gerald Wallace has playing the 3 instead of the 4, or Gallinari playing the 3. It's not that they can't do it, or aren't good at it, it's just that it mitigates some of their advantages.

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2012, 11:49:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Houston Boxers

PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Paul George
SF:
PF:
C: Marcin Gortat

The Boxers are a happy pack.

Would you consider moving Paul George back to his primary position at small forward?

I think George will play better at SF in the immediate sense vs SG. Having that extra quickness over his opponent. I think that will make his (work in progress) shot-creation skills more effective.

I think his shooting ability at SF with a quality SG alongside him (preferably a capable secondary ball-handler for Westbrook) would give your team the best balance offensively. I think that extra floor spacing and ball-handling will be important in getting the best out of Westbrook.
Absolutely!!! If the right PG was available I might even consider moving Westbrook to SG. Have to see who is available later when the whole team is assembled. For now the Boxers are an extremely happy pack o' dogs with who we are running with. For all the talk of other groupings, the Boxerz feel we have our superduperstar that proved himself this post season and some significant complimentary parts.

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The problem with David Lee is that he was most productive in D'Antoni's system, while playing the 5, and while being the best player on the court.

When he's asked to play the 4 against other 4s he loses a lot of his advantages against opponents on offense, mainly his speed. He also has trouble defending 4s (and 5s, but that's mitigated on offense).

It's the same issue Gerald Wallace has playing the 3 instead of the 4, or Gallinari playing the 3. It's not that they can't do it, or aren't good at it, it's just that it mitigates some of their advantages.

He didn't seem to have a problem in The Bay player mostly at 4. He still produced at a high level.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2012, 11:50:56 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Could i get some comments on the knicks?

« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:38 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Pg-rubio
sg-monta
Sf-melo
Pf-ibaka

What do you think of the knicks

I like this group a lot.  In the past, I shared the same thoughts as a few others have mentioned that I just don't see Monta being a championship type player.  I thought that for a while until about a year ago when I thought of what an amazing 6th man he'd be!  Think Jason Terry x 2.

With Rubio, Melo, and hopefully a couple other capable players, you may have plenty of offense in your starting lineup already.  Rubio can make your next two players better than they are if you choose the right players.  Then, bring Monta off the bench as a backup 1/2 for 30-35mpg.  You've got two great options for a few minutes, then an explosive go-to scorer in Monta when Melo is on the bench.

With Rubio playing an up-tempo game that Melo would actually be very good at (from what I've seen in Team USA), I'd be very intrigued if you could trade Ibaka for a taller defensive C, move Melo to PF, then draft some gunners on the wings.  And have Monta Ellis off the bench.  You'd struggle defending against the bigger PF/C combos, but I'd just advise you to counter with "who of those frontcourt players is going to guard Melo behind the arc?" and insist that he will torch them for 35 (maybe 40?) points easily.  (Side note:  Carmelo is a much better 3 pt shooter than his career % indicates.  He has either forced up himself or been forced to take a lot of contested shots against opponents' best wing defenders while teammates stand and watch for most of his career.)
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2012, 11:52:09 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

I like Wallace and Gallo as 4s myself. Lee put up some nice numbers this season. He still flirted with 20 & 10 and that's nothing to look down at imo.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Could i get some comments on the knicks?

I would consider acquiring an skilled offensive center to put alongside Ibaka. Someone who can open up the paint for Carmelo to drive and/or post up.

I would also consider bringing Monta Ellis off the bench as a sixth man and starting a more defensively capable SG to start alongside Carmelo on the wing. Ellis would be a lethal combo guard off the bench.

I think the Rubio, Melo and Ibaka parts of the starting lineup are very good. Carmelo is a great scorer, strong rebounder and under-rated defender. Ibaka is a borderline top 10 PF with lots of room for improvement. Likewise with Rubio.

Both Rubio and Ibaka are very good facilitators who make their teammates better + Carmelo is an elite shot-creator / go-to scorer. I really enjoy that mix.

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2012, 12:00:36 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
The Dubs

Anthony Davis
Andre Iguodala
Manu Ginobili