Author Topic: post combine- who is moving up/down and how it effects the Celtics outlook  (Read 9442 times)

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
Festus Ezeli, please!

I agree that Ezeli would be a nice pickup, I would love for the Cs to trade up in the 2nd for Ezeli or worst case Sacre. Both will make it as physical back up Centers in the league.

I think the only thing that keeps melo ahead of Ezeli is Ezeli's poor hands. But his size and length are ideal.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Ha ha--good analysis.

Hadn't realized anyone had expected Melo to be bigger than 250 lbs., 7'2.5" wingspan, and 6'10.75" w/o shoes.  I believe DraftExpress moved him up to the C's picks, with Quincy Miller, after the combine.  They have Nicholson going afterwards, at 24, and I'd be happy with Nicholson and Miller if the C's stay where they are in the draft.

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
On the first day of the combine, I saw Wroten miss every single jumpshot during one of the many mini-shooting sessions they had throughout.  It was unbelievable.  Even bad shooters in the NBA can supposedly make a high amount in practice; for him to be a bad shooter against air puts him severely behind the curve.  Chad Ford wrote about Wroten missing most of his jumpshots in one of the workouts he attended too.

Wroten's form seems fine. I just can't understand why he shoots worse than the average Joe at a rec league.  Considering he wasn't a great or even good finisher at Washington either, I'm really not sure about him as even a high upside, risky pick with either of the first round picks.

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Give me Royce White, Terrence Ross, Andrew Nicholson or Festus Ezeli and I will be a happy man.

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Based on what Ford said I know wonder if Nicholson will be there too. But now that does make me wonder who slides if kids previously thought to be available around when we pick(Leonard, Nicholson, and Harkless) are now being talked about as moving up around and into the lottery? I think Zeller and Moultrie are sliding down then maybe.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I am putting my chips all in. I want Tony Wroten Jr. and Royce White. In fact, if we can get just one of those two I will be drinking far too much champagne on the 28th. I will drunk post to prove it.

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I am putting my chips all in. I want Tony Wroten Jr. and Royce White. In fact, if we can get just one of those two I will be drinking far too much champagne on the 28th. I will drunk post to prove it.

How in the world talent such as Tony Wroten slipping in mock draft? He has top5 talent. Celtics could use another player who can breakdown defenses. All we have is Rondo, and Pierce on his last leg capable of breaking down defenses.

Imagine bench:

Wroten
Ray
Green

SICK!!

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

How in the world talent such as Tony Wroten slipping in mock draft? He has top5 talent. Celtics could use another player who can breakdown defenses. All we have is Rondo, and Pierce on his last leg capable of breaking down defenses.

Imagine bench:

Wroten
Ray
Green

SICK!!

He's a ballhog that can't shoot his way out of a paper bag, that's how. He is not a fit for this team.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

Imagine bench:

Wroten
Ray
Green

SICK!!

He's a ballhog that can't shoot his way out of a paper bag, that's how. He is not a fit for this team.

First of all, Wroten with better J is Top5 pick. From what I saw his form looks good. Couple of tweaks his J can be fixed. Too talented to pass up imo. And what is wrong with being aggressive? The rule changes in the NBA rewards aggressive players. He can get to the line a bunch. Remember what they said about Rondo? Wroten is 6'6 Rajon Rondo. Dude a freak with size, court vision, and athleticism

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Imagine bench:

Wroten
Ray
Green

SICK!!

First of all, Wroten with better J is Top5 pick. From what I saw his form looks good. Couple of tweaks his J can be fixed. Too talented to pass up imo. And what is wrong with being aggressive? The rule changes in the NBA rewards aggressive players. He can get to the line a bunch.

reminds me a lot of Rodney Stuckey

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

Imagine bench:

Wroten
Ray
Green

SICK!!

First of all, Wroten with better J is Top5 pick. From what I saw his form looks good. Couple of tweaks his J can be fixed. Too talented to pass up imo. And what is wrong with being aggressive? The rule changes in the NBA rewards aggressive players. He can get to the line a bunch.

reminds me a lot of Rodney Stuckey

Tyreke Evan too. I hope he is there at 21. I doubt it though

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

How will we know you are drunk? Please elaborate because I will be looking forward

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Wroten is Nate Robinson's cousin, fyi.

In the spread out, hands off style of the NBA, Wroten will really shine.

He fits in with the Celtics in some ways. We'd have 48 minutes of crazy defense and awesome fast breaks with a Rondo, Bradley, and Wroten combination. Pedal to the metal.

Wroten could post up most PGs with great success, and most SGs too. He'll be one of the better rebounding guards in the league right off the bat, and he can get to the line as easily as DWade.

Just because teams will play off him, doesn't mean he's not getting to the hoop. Not by a longshot.

Rondo is great at getting to the rim and absorbing contact some games. I just don't think he is strong enough to do it all the time. Wroten can and loves to draw fouls every single game.

However, drafting Wroten would pretty much only make sense if the C's had bigs that can spread the floor and hit the open shots. Wroten, Rondo, and Bradley will be able to get to the hoop more easily, and all three are able to see and kick the ball out to the open man.

Jeff Green and Brandon Bass can pretty much play that stretch four role along with Garnett.

With Bass, Garnett, and Green capable of playing the four, drafting Nicholson may not make the most sense, though he would also thrive catching and shooting.

Wroten and White are both very, very talented, but I'm not sure their games complement each others very well. They both do many of the same things well: Rebounding, physicality, getting to the hoop and the ft line, great passing vision.

and the same things poorly: no outside shot, bad ft shooting, high turnovers. Rondo, Wroten, and White on the floor together at the same time would not be pretty.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Wroten is Nate Robinson's cousin, fyi.

In the spread out, hands off style of the NBA, Wroten will really shine.

He fits in with the Celtics in some ways. We'd have 48 minutes of crazy defense and awesome fast breaks with a Rondo, Bradley, and Wroten combination. Pedal to the metal.

Wroten could post up most PGs with great success, and most SGs too. He'll be one of the better rebounding guards in the league right off the bat, and he can get to the line as easily as DWade.

Just because teams will play off him, doesn't mean he's not getting to the hoop. Not by a longshot.

Rondo is great at getting to the rim and absorbing contact some games. I just don't think he is strong enough to do it all the time. Wroten can and loves to draw fouls every single game.

However, drafting Wroten would pretty much only make sense if the C's had bigs that can spread the floor and hit the open shots. Wroten, Rondo, and Bradley will be able to get to the hoop more easily, and all three are able to see and kick the ball out to the open man.

Jeff Green and Brandon Bass can pretty much play that stretch four role along with Garnett.

With Bass, Garnett, and Green capable of playing the four, drafting Nicholson may not make the most sense, though he would also thrive catching and shooting.

Wroten and White are both very, very talented, but I'm not sure their games complement each others very well. They both do many of the same things well: Rebounding, physicality, getting to the hoop and the ft line, great passing vision.

and the same things poorly: no outside shot, bad ft shooting, high turnovers. Rondo, Wroten, and White on the floor together at the same time would not be pretty.
I think that's my biggest concern with both Wroten and White--their FT shooting.  it's great if they can draw contact and get to the line but if they can't make their FT's it's a wasted offensive trip down the floor and rewards the opposition by not scoring any points.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Interestingly, Wroten could be there at pick 30. He shot horribly at the Combine, but I heard he ran the fastest 3/4 court sprint in Combine history. We'll find out if that's true or not in the next couple days, but that could mean he beat Wall, Derrick Rose, and Bradley. Pretty fast.

"Still holding out hope for a Royce White fall to us and Nicholson.  We get some inside scoring and rebounding immediately and potential for much more."

At first I didn't think this combo could work, and neither can really play more than spot minutes at small forward.

But comparing White to BBDavis, White is only 1/2 inch shorter without shoes 6'7 as opposed to Davis' 6'7.5". I'm pretty sure White has the longer wingspan, probably about the same or higher standing reach, and White can definitely jump higher and move quicker than BBD as well. I think White could log backup minutes at center.

Either way, it could be a pretty decent frontcourt if White can develop a jumper.

Wow about Wroten's speed... that'd be big.  Imagine him running w Rondo and Bradley, Green next year... serious speed.  Thought he was fast but not that fast.  Like I said, I like his ability to playmake and get to the rim which we need desperately.

And you are thinking the same way I am about White.  He also can pass too so that would open up a lot.  Playing w KG that'd be great passing out of our front court.  He should be a very good open court player too.

So building toward being a more fast break team around Rondo, Wroten and White would be great.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford