Author Topic: post combine- who is moving up/down and how it effects the Celtics outlook  (Read 9461 times)

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I've been reading absolutely everything I can get my hands on about the combine... some kind of bizarre coping mechanism I'm sure. Anyway, here are the bits I've gleaned that could have ramifications for our draft slot.

1. Meyers Leonard
OLD CW: Big with limited skills who could be available at pick 21.
NEW CW: Tallest player in the combine. Great conditioning, great interviews. Will NOT be available for the Celtics.

2. Austin Rivers
OLD CW: Underperformed in college; could fall to the Celtics.
NEW CW: Likely has a promise (per Chad Ford). Will NOT be available for the Celtics.

3. Arnett Moultrie
OLD CW: A big with excellent size and rebounding skills who performed well in college. Won't make it past the Rockets/76ers turn in the middle of the round.
NEW CW: Didn't participate in drills at the combine. Execs are not excited about him, may be dropping. Long shot for the Celtics, but conceivable.
Editorial note: IMO Too big, too good, and too proven to fall. I don't believe a word of it. Stay tuned, though, because so far he looks like the biggest falling star of 2012.

4. Andrew Nicholson
OLD CW: St. Bonnie doesn't impress. Undersized NBA tweener. Too risky to go mid-round. Likely pick for the Celtics.
NEW CW:
Great measurements, great performance at the combine. On second thought, everyone wants a defensive POY who has a 7'3" wingspan and nearly led the entire NCAA in efficiency. Go figure. Unlikely to fall to the Celtics.
Editorial note: My little heart is breaking.

5. Royce White
OLD CW: Built like a truck. A truck driven by a crazy person. Awesome penetrator and ball handler with PF size. Should probably try shooting free throws underhand. Will be an option for the C's.
NEW CW: Nice interviews. Does it make a difference? Probably not. Still likely to be an option for the C's

6. Tyler Zeller
OLD CW: Robin Lopez reincarnate. Some team with no flare for drama will take him around 10-12.
NEW CW: Tyler who? Falls a tick after Meyers Leonard leapfrog. A few surprise reaches and this gets interesting.

7. Moe Harkless
OLD CW: Fringe 1st rounder. Too raw to get serious lottery consideration. A good high ceiling option for the Celtics.
NEW CW: Elite athleticism and size, court smarts not as bad as you think. Per Ford, he probably gets in the lottery and goes as high as the top 10. Unlikely to be available for the Celtics.

8. Fab Melo
OLD CW: A worthy project considering his tremendous size. Absolutely an option for the Celtics at 21/22.
NEW CW: Surprise, he's not as big as you think! Overreach.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I've been reading absolutely everything I can get my hands on about the combine... some kind of bizarre coping mechanism I'm sure.

TP for the analysis, and as far as the coping goes -- yes, we are all doing it in various ways :)
Celtics fan for life.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
TP for the analysis, and as far as the coping goes -- yes, we are all doing it in various ways :)

<retrieves flask from filing cabinet by the copier>

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
When does the draft take place?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
When does the draft take place?

June 28th, right?

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Although you may be right, I read Chad Fords' article and my heart broke a bit, it is still early. Last year there was a ton of movement and that draft stank compared to this one. My gut tells me there will be a ton of people moving up and down the boards and a lot of trades on draft night. No matter what happens I am sure the Celtics will get two outstanding picks even if they stay at 21 and 22. I really wanted Harkless and Royce White. Looks like one may still be there.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
I really dont think the Combine changed much. Meyers was going to move up no matter what. Young 7' mobile athletes that produce in college get drafted early. I still like Nicholson will be available.

The interesting thing to me is that Waiters and Rivers are both rumored to have late lottery guarantees.

If the Cs stay at 21 + 22 I expect the celtics to be picking from the following list.

Quincy Miller
Andrew Nicholson
Jeff Taylor
Fab Melo
Evan Fournier

Great picks will will just miss on
Moe Harkless
Terrance Ross

My gut picks are

Jeff Taylor
Andrew Nicholson
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I hope the Nicholson bit wasn't true because he's the one guy I assumed would for sure be available to us that I really want to take.  Guy is a scorer all over the floor (even 3) and has great potential as a rebounder and shot blocker too.

Still holding out hope for a Royce White fall to us and Nicholson.  We get some inside scoring and rebounding immediately and potential for much more.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Festus Ezeli, please!

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I want Royce White and Tony Wroten Jr. Then if we can get either the 30th or 35th pick from the Warriors take either Will Barton or  Orlando Johnson. That would be a great draft IMO.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Festus Ezeli, please!
Aka Kendrick Perkins with a foriegn sounding name.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I want Royce White and Tony Wroten Jr. Then if we can get either the 30th or 35th pick from the Warriors take either Will Barton or  Orlando Johnson. That would be a great draft IMO.

Wroten Jr. is the other fall back guy for me (I prefer Royce and Nicholson because we need bigs and I assume Green will be back for wing depth).  Wroten Jr. would be nice as a guy who can create and take it to the rim, something we seriously lack. 

He would be an Avery Bradley pick: someone who didn't live up to potential in college but was a big time prospect that could really flourish in the NBA.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Interestingly, Wroten could be there at pick 30. He shot horribly at the Combine, but I heard he ran the fastest 3/4 court sprint in Combine history. We'll find out if that's true or not in the next couple days, but that could mean he beat Wall, Derrick Rose, and Bradley. Pretty fast.

"Still holding out hope for a Royce White fall to us and Nicholson.  We get some inside scoring and rebounding immediately and potential for much more."

At first I didn't think this combo could work, and neither can really play more than spot minutes at small forward.

But comparing White to BBDavis, White is only 1/2 inch shorter without shoes 6'7 as opposed to Davis' 6'7.5". I'm pretty sure White has the longer wingspan, probably about the same or higher standing reach, and White can definitely jump higher and move quicker than BBD as well. I think White could log backup minutes at center.

Either way, it could be a pretty decent frontcourt if White can develop a jumper.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

<retrieves flask from filing cabinet by the copier>

nah, not today... tonight, though, that's another story!
Celtics fan for life.