Author Topic: Just realized this. If we do draft Andrew Nicholson, what happens to JJJ?  (Read 7219 times)

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The more I think about it the more I'm not liking the Celtics drafting Andrew Nicholson.

Not that he's a bad pick. But what will happen to our last year's 1st rounder in JaJuan Johnson? Their kind of similar in a way when you look at it. Athletic, hard worker, has a solid jump shot (although Nicholson has better range).

So should the Celtics still pick him up when he's around and maybe throw last years 1st pick in the process, or do they pass on a high upside talent for the sake of JJJ developing into the PF that we expect him to be.

What you guys think?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
The more I think about it the more I'm not liking the Celtics drafting Andrew Nicholson.

Not that he's a bad pick. But what will happen to our last year's 1st rounder in JaJuan Johnson? Their kind of similar in a way when you look at it. Athletic, hard worker, has a solid jump shot (although Nicholson has better range).

So should the Celtics still pick him up when he's around and maybe throw last years 1st pick in the process, or do they pass on a high upside talent for the sake of JJJ developing into the PF that we expect him to be.

What you guys think?

Trade him for a late second rounder.

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
If Danny really likes Nicholson hold on to Johnson until he can be traded.

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
They could always release him.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
getting ahead of ourselves with thinking Nicholson gets drafted by the C's.  If they do, keep them both and develop them. 

depth is never a 'problem'.  also, it would mean the C's don't need to sign a FA PF if both of these guys pan out.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
JJJ plays because he is no longer a rookie.  Nicholson sits because he is a rookie, unless he zooms past JJJ in understanding of defensive rotations.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Yeah, and what was Danny doing drafting/trading for Rondo when he had just traded for Telfair?

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
JJJ plays because he is no longer a rookie.  Nicholson sits because he is a rookie, unless he zooms past JJJ in understanding of defensive rotations.

I think Nicholson is brighter than 3J and he already probably has a more NBA-ready body.  With the benefit of two summer leagues, training camp and the preseason, I'd guess that if Nicholson impressed he'd play.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nothing will happen to him he has a rookie contract and those are several years, no.

Hopefully some more work on his body with weights and he can bring all that shooting and athleticism to bear on the court.   One can never get enough bigs.   If this year teaches you anything it should be that the injury bug can bite anyone anytime.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
JJJ is a four year college player who couldn't get a minute of playing time for a team with two legitimate NBA big men, one of whom has a serious minute restriction.

He's out of the league once his rookie contract is up.

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
They both will set...Remember Doc is guy that played Mark Blount because he was a veteran.

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

What you guys think?

Trade him for a late second rounder.

::)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think we draft Nicholson, I think he goes 5-10 spots after we pick.

If Johnson improves he will play, if not someone else will.

You can never have enough young athletic bigs, so if JJJ and whoever we pick are good enough they will both see the court.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
JJJ is a four year college player who couldn't get a minute of playing time for a team with two legitimate NBA big men, one of whom has a serious minute restriction.

He's out of the league once his rookie contract is up.

your neglecting the fact that he was behind both of those big men on the depth chart.  Seriously, anyone who thinks he was getting time ahead of either KG or Bass, especially a rookie on a Doc-coached team, is kidding themselves.  

Give him a summer league, training camp and preseason before projecting him out of the league.  The kid has some offensive moves.  With some coaching time with the staff, I think JJJ will look pretty solid next year.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He needs bulk and strength and to learn defense.   He looks lost on rotations at points.   But he did show a nice shot and athletic ability at points those don't grow on trees.  An off season should help him a lot.