Author Topic: #1 overall pick for Howard?  (Read 12211 times)

#1 overall pick for Howard?
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:22:41 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
I was thinking about the available players for Dwight and was thinking about the usual suspects (Bynum, Lopez, etc.) and then I thought about how with Orlando clearing house in the management area, wouldn't it be nice to start completely fresh with a new rookie face of the franchise in Anthony Davis?

So, a few questions to discuss:

1.  Would Orlando prefer any available current player/asset over a young, no attitude problems, no health concerns, Anthony Davis? 

I can't really think of any.  This guy is on the same level prospect-wise as Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, and John Wall were as they entered the draft (none of whom could be had in a trade).  And to have him at a controlled contract for so many years ahead is very enticing.

2.  Would any team be willing to trade away Davis for Dwight Howard? 

My thinking is that if it could put the team in contention, then yes.  How can you turn down a proven top 3 player in the NBA in the middle of his prime for an unproven draft pick?  Of course, this would be conditional on Dwight signing a long term extension.

3.  Would Dwight Howard sign a long term extension with any of these teams that have a shot at landing the #1 overall pick?

Biggest question.  Firstly, the team would have to have a ton of cap space in order to do it or have a 1 year deal that the magic would be willing to take back.  Here's how I see it:

Charlotte - No way

Washington - Highly doubtful.  Not enough cap space unless Orlando would take Rashard Lewis back.  They already have Nene at C for a lot of money.  John Wall is nice, but probably not enough pieces to interest Dwight into signing.

Cleveland - A HA!  This makes sense on so many levels to me.  Enough cap space to take Dwight straight up.  A young, soon-to-be-star, pg who complements Dwights game wonderfully and some nice other pieces that complement Dwight in Jamison and Varejao, PLUS still even more cap space to go after more players (Mayo?).  Try to send 1 year of Luke Walton to Orlando and bring Redick over to Cleveland.  Dwight wants to be the "good guy"?  He now becomes Cleveland's savior!

NJ - If D-Will opts in, why not?  Lots of good, complementary pieces in place there (Morrow, Wallace).  Better current pieces than Cleveland actually, but no cap room to sign additional free agents.  Problem:  they are right in the gray area of having probably just not enough cap space, so would have to trade somebody away which might not be easy.

New Orleans - No, wouldn't make them a contender.

Sacramento - No, disaster situation.

Toronto - Ew.

GS - Maybe before they had made that trade for Bogut.  So, no.

Detroit - No cap space and very skeptical complementary roster, at best.

Minnesota - Terrible market, but what a roster of complementary players in Rubio, Williams, and Love.  Becomes an utterly dominant rebounding team, that no teams can play small-ball against, and an instant top contender.  Not enough cap space right now, but some very tradeable players/contracts on that squad.  Maybe send Wesley Johnson and Pekovic and take back Redick and a late first.

Portland - Cap space?  Check.  Instant contender?  Check.  Great situation.  Low probability of landing the first pick though.

So, what are your thoughts?  Any sense to this idea?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: #1 overall pick for Howard?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
The Magic would want more than the number 1 overall pick... Howard is worth way more than that. Why trade a superstar franchise player straight up for an unproven pick with potential?

"My thinking is that if it could put the team in contention, then yes.  How can you turn down a proven top 3 player in the NBA in the middle of his prime for an unproven draft pick?  Of course, this would be conditional on Dwight signing a long term extension."

I guess I'll ask you this.. how can you trade a proven top 3 player in the NBA in the middle of his prime for an unproven draft pick?

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:02:13 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
anthony davis is a future hall of famer, but unproven. however you would have davis locked in for years at a super cheap price that allows for leeway in cap space.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:37:45 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It would be difficult to find a rebuilding team who would rather pay howard 19-25 mil a season for the next 4 years instead of paying Anthony Davis on his rookie contract.  It would be even more difficult finding a team capable of landing the #1 pick that Dwight would sign an extension with.

You really see Dwight Howard signing long-term with a team like the Bobcats or Kings? 

Since Howard has one year left on his deal... the teams willing to trade for him will be limited to teams that can sign him long term.  We're talking a very short list that includes Brooklyn and MAYBE Dallas and LA.  No team is giving up the #1 pick for a 1 year rental of Dwight HOward.  Because the market is limited, the offers will be limited.  In the end he'll probably get sent to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and change, because ultimately Brooklyn is the only team he seems interested in signing an extension with. 

Think of it from our perspective... would you give up Rondo and both our first rounders for Dwight Howard without an extension?  You really wanna chance dumping Rondo and two first rounders for potentially one season of Dwight?  For the record, I'm not even sure there are any teams that would trade Anthony Davis for Rondo and our two first rounders.

SO really your question can become super specific.  "If Brooklyn lands the #1 pick should they trade it for Dwight?"...  and I'll say no UNLESS it becomes painfully clear that it's the only way they can get Deron Williams to re-sign.  Orlando has some leverage, but not that much.  They can trade Dwight for a Brook Lopez/Marshon Brooks pu pu platter or they can risk losing him for nothing in a year.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:46:03 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:52:27 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
i dont think dwights getting traded. i think they would rather roll the dice and try to get to the finals again one more time with him than get garbage like brook lopez

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:14:12 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
It would be difficult to find a rebuilding team who would rather pay howard 19-25 mil a season for the next 4 years instead of paying Anthony Davis on his rookie contract.  It would be even more difficult finding a team capable of landing the #1 pick that Dwight would sign an extension with.

You really see Dwight Howard signing long-term with a team like the Bobcats or Kings? 

Since Howard has one year left on his deal... the teams willing to trade for him will be limited to teams that can sign him long term.  We're talking a very short list that includes Brooklyn and MAYBE Dallas and LA.  No team is giving up the #1 pick for a 1 year rental of Dwight HOward.  Because the market is limited, the offers will be limited.  In the end he'll probably get sent to Brooklyn for Brook Lopez and change, because ultimately Brooklyn is the only team he seems interested in signing an extension with. 

Think of it from our perspective... would you give up Rondo and both our first rounders for Dwight Howard without an extension?  You really wanna chance dumping Rondo and two first rounders for potentially one season of Dwight?  For the record, I'm not even sure there are any teams that would trade Anthony Davis for Rondo and our two first rounders.

SO really your question can become super specific.  "If Brooklyn lands the #1 pick should they trade it for Dwight?"...  and I'll say no UNLESS it becomes painfully clear that it's the only way they can get Deron Williams to re-sign.  Orlando has some leverage, but not that much.  They can trade Dwight for a Brook Lopez/Marshon Brooks pu pu platter or they can risk losing him for nothing in a year.

Did you read the OP?

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 07:15:39 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I think Howard wouldn't sign longer term with any team with a chance at the #1 other than the Nets, and he'd probably be even more of a jerk if he got stuck with that team for the year anyway.

So I think you can put this into the category of a deal that neither side would do.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 08:11:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Yeah, I think you are on the right track. The main problem is Dwight Howard's willingness to re-sign with those lottery teams. I think Brooklyn is the only squad he green-lights a trade with.

As for the rest, well Orlando would love to get Anthony Davis but nobody is going to risk Davis without a long term commitment from Dwight Howard first. Davis is too good for that.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441

I disagree. I don't think Orlando is that high on that NJ offer. I think they'd prefer to deal with the Lakers and bring back Andrew Bynum instead of Brook Lopez.

So I think they'll need to deal Anthony Davis in that scenario.

Orlando has enough leverage to make that happen.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 08:23:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

I disagree. I don't think Orlando is that high on that NJ offer. I think they'd prefer to deal with the Lakers and bring back Andrew Bynum instead of Brook Lopez.

So I think they'll need to deal Anthony Davis in that scenario.

Orlando has enough leverage to make that happen.
I agree.  I think it has to be Davis for Orlando to move him to Brooklyn.  I also think New Jersey probably keeps Lopez and Humphries in that situation to get a nice 3 man rotation at the PF/C spot.  With Wallace at the 3 and Williams at the 1, that team is a clear title contender.  Orlando would probably hold out for more than just Davis, maybe Brooks and a future pick or two, but I think that is the best deal they are going to get for Howard, so they have to do it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 610
Yeah, I think you are on the right track. The main problem is Dwight Howard's willingness to re-sign with those lottery teams. I think Brooklyn is the only squad he green-lights a trade with.

What about Cleveland with Kyrie Irving, Varejao, Tristan Thompson (either as a player or as an asset who can be moved for a good player) and still additional cap space?  They could go after Eric Gordon or perhaps split up that cap space and sign 2 of Ray Allen, OJ Mayo, Batum, Ilyasova, Ryan Anderson?  Was Jamison happy enough there to come back cheap?

What about Minnesota and Portland, even though they are longer shots of landing the pick?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

1.  Would Orlando prefer any available current player/asset over a young, no attitude problems, no health concerns, Anthony Davis? 

I can't really think of any.  This guy is on the same level prospect-wise as Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, and John Wall were as they entered the draft (none of whom could be had in a trade).  And to have him at a controlled contract for so many years ahead is very enticing.

It's an interesting question, but keep in mind that Orlando not only needs a great player, they also need a draw. The list of players that would fit the bill is definitely short, but I think that they would prefer Griffin or Bynum, for example, without question (and I wouldn't be so sure they aren't available). That said, your point is well-taken. Anthony Davis is the best example of a safe, proven, high-upside, high-character pick since the 2007 draft. If Orlando could get him for Howard, they'd definitely have to consider it.

2.  Would any team be willing to trade away Davis for Dwight Howard? 

My thinking is that if it could put the team in contention, then yes.  How can you turn down a proven top 3 player in the NBA in the middle of his prime for an unproven draft pick?  Of course, this would be conditional on Dwight signing a long term extension.

I agree with you 100%. In the list that follows, keep in mind that the Wiz could still amnesty Lewis. I don't know how deep their pockets are, but they are desperate to turn the franchise around and bringing Howard in would be huge. That said, it would be far easier and cheaper for them to stand pat with Davis if they come up with the top pick. They could not trade Wall for Howard unless they somehow landed a star guard in FA to play with him.

Portland is hilarious. Can you imagine if Portland landed the top pick and a sure-thing big man was staring them in the face. For his sake and theirs, they HAVE to trade the pick. I mean, lives and careers are at stake here. Woe be to Anthony Davis otherwise =P

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 12:07:19 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
The Magic would want more than the number 1 overall pick... Howard is worth way more than that. Why trade a superstar franchise player straight up for an unproven pick with potential?

The answer to your question is "because they have to and it's the best they can get."

One more quick thing
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Just so we're all on the same page, we're talking about what happens in the 10% chance that Howard does not go to LA for Bynum, right? I mean, that is more or less destined to happen.

Re: One more quick thing
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 12:23:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
Just so we're all on the same page, we're talking about what happens in the 10% chance that Howard does not go to LA for Bynum, right? I mean, that is more or less destined to happen.
I think I'd rather have Davis than Bynum.  Sure there is a lot of risk that Davis doesn't ever develop, but you pay him about a third the money for the next four years, and you already know Bynum is going to take games off.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip