Author Topic: #1 overall pick for Howard?  (Read 12188 times)

Re: #1 overall pick for Howard?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2979
i dont think dwights getting traded. i think they would rather roll the dice and try to get to the finals again one more time with him than get garbage like brook lopez

Brook Lopez is not garbage...He's just on a ****ty team. If he was on the Celtics, he'd average over 14 Rebounds, and 20 points a game.

I'd take Lopez on the Celtics anyday.  Or Robin for that matter or either of Gasol bros  .    All these are an upgrade over Hollins . 

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think Howard might sign an extension in Minnesota to play with Love and Rubio.  Pretty solid base and they have decent wings as well.

Kyrie Irving has a lot of cred for a rookie.  He isn't Deron Williams, but he has a lot of cred.  There is also, if I go to Cleveland and win when Lebron couldn't I will be worshipped for the rest of my life and will significantly elevate my place in history.

My thinking as well.  I can't think of many PFs that would complement Dwight better than Love.  Love can spread the floor and the two of them would absolutely dominate on the glass.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The Magic would want more than the number 1 overall pick... Howard is worth way more than that. Why trade a superstar franchise player straight up for an unproven pick with potential?

"My thinking is that if it could put the team in contention, then yes.  How can you turn down a proven top 3 player in the NBA in the middle of his prime for an unproven draft pick?  Of course, this would be conditional on Dwight signing a long term extension."

I guess I'll ask you this.. how can you trade a proven top 3 player in the NBA in the middle of his prime for an unproven draft pick?

Definitely the tougher question.

Davis seems a sure thing and you know you will have him for at least 4 years. This easily happens if they think Howard is fed up and will bolt after this year. Davis is a lot better than anything Cleveland for Lebron.

There can be other parts to the puzzle, including another pick. Howard is coming off the back surgery and if he misses time next season and then bolts from Orlando, they may get nothing.

Re: One more quick thing
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Just so we're all on the same page, we're talking about what happens in the 10% chance that Howard does not go to LA for Bynum, right? I mean, that is more or less destined to happen.
I think I'd rather have Davis than Bynum.  Sure there is a lot of risk that Davis doesn't ever develop, but you pay him about a third the money for the next four years, and you already know Bynum is going to take games off.

Really? I mean, it's a star's league, right? You already know that Bynum when healthy is one of the 2-3 best centers in the league. I'm not saying I think Davis will fail, but thought-to-be-safe rookies flame out all the time.

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Somebody, maybe Who, brought up earlier the good point that there really should be no desire for Orlando to acquire a win-now type player.  If they can't win now with Dwight, there's no way any acquirable player will help them win now.  They have too many bad contracts their committed to for the next few years.  It makes a lot of sense to get much younger players and have them develop while these contracts run out into players that are ready to contribute when Orlando's payroll finally gets some flexibility.

They were at least a playoff team with Dwight, and they did go to the finals a couple years ago. Bynum would have to be extended of course, but he is 24. He's at the age where he can be a win-now and a rebuilding player at the same time.

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 10:41:10 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Just so we're all on the same page, we're talking about what happens in the 10% chance that Howard does not go to LA for Bynum, right? I mean, that is more or less destined to happen.
I think I'd rather have Davis than Bynum.  Sure there is a lot of risk that Davis doesn't ever develop, but you pay him about a third the money for the next four years, and you already know Bynum is going to take games off.

Really? I mean, it's a star's league, right? You already know that Bynum when healthy is one of the 2-3 best centers in the league. I'm not saying I think Davis will fail, but thought-to-be-safe rookies flame out all the time.
It is more than just health with Bynum.  I mean he was healthy pretty much all year, but only decided to play every so often.  He has clear attitude issues and is a health risk.  He also only has one year left on his contract and is going to get a max deal.  I mean the money is reason enough to prefer Davis without even getting into the attitude and health.  Not to mention, Davis has a pretty strong skill set and is perhaps the best athletic big man to come into the draft ever and certainly right there with guys like Howard (if not the best).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
I'd take Anthony Davis over Andrew Bynum.

Bynum has lost a lot physically from all those injuries and doesn't have the same upside that he once had. Add in long term health concerns and some maturity issues. Then pit that against Anthony Davis and the world of talent that he has and I am definitely going with Davis over Bynum.